• Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    "...because we don't know who they are."

Hey, buddy, here's a hint: They're Americans.

You know... the people here legally, not committing a crime by their very presence here.

That should help clarify things.

Blessings,
    Bill

Stubz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Alexandria, IN
    This month, the Border Patrol warned its agents about militia members after seven of them dressed in camouflage and carrying rifles appeared out of the dark and began helping to apprehend immigrants around a canal near Mission. The agents initially mistook them for a Department of Public Safety tactical team.

Does this scream to anyone else "We woulda shot these guys too but mistook them for the "good guys"."?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Common sense tells me that if I own private property near the US/Mexico border and I want to dress in camo and carry a long gun in defense of that property I'm gonna let the USBP know that I'm out there.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    "Department of Public Safety tactical team." Notice this quote from the article? Not only do they have "Border Patrol, Texas Department of Public Safety and local law enforcement, there are enough agencies working to secure the border. Gov. Rick Perry also called as many as 1,000 National Guard members to the border. Look at all these public agencies we have, and they dont want any more help, it seems the militia are the smart ones, dress up in camo and carry a long gun. They must not like citizens making them look bad.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The border patrol DOES know the citizen militias that protect private property along the border. You have to remember, that the patrols are not only a 50 ft path along a marked fence area. It is more like a 20 mile wide area along the border that is patrolled, and the majority of it belongs to private citizens. That can make it a little more complicated.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    But Lucio said, “We really don’t need the militia here.” He recognized they have the right to carry weapons, but noted that with the Border Patrol, Texas Department of Public Safety and local law enforcement, there are enough agencies working to secure the border. Gov. Rick Perry also called as many as 1,000 National Guard members to the border.

They are still chasing illegals on the U.S. side of the border. They admit they lost contact with the ones they were chasing. But there are enough to secure the border and they don't need help? Right.

Common sense tells me that if I own private property near the US/Mexico border and I want to dress in camo and carry a long gun in defense of that property I'm gonna let the USBP know that I'm out there.
    Common sense says you don't shoot at a target you haven't identified.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Based on the porosity of the border, looks to me that the USBP should be coordinating with the private, armed citizenry.

Of course, that private, armed citizenry should be willing to take the initiative to coordinate with the Border Patrol, et. al., as well.

magus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2014
    Central IN
    Easy to say from the cornfields of Indiana

I will chime in here to say that it is a bit... different down there. I have a friend that was nearly killed in Nogales (sp?) AZ because he was delivering a load of freight to an industrial area two cartels decided to have it out with full automatics.

He's a multiple combat tour Army vet and said it was one of the most terrifying moments in his life. Moreso than any other combat he was in... because he didn't have his squad backing him. He was alone, taking cover under his rig, and trying his damnedest to look like a shadow under the truck.

It didn't work, they noticed him and opened fire on his truck. He returned fire with his desert eagle (dunno what caliber he was running it with) and hit one possibly two of them. The fight was almost over by that point, they grabbed their wounded and ran before the police got there. It didn't take the officers long to respond, he remarked that they were actually really quick considering where they were in the city geographically. He also remarked at how routine the officers seemed about the whole thing. They asked him for his pistol (can you call that thing a pistol? egads...) noted the serial and handed it back to him mag still in it.

He stayed in contact with the officers and another enforcement branch I can't remember at the moment, just in case there were going to be reprisals. A few days later they told him that one of the guys he hit died at a hospital on the Mexican side of the border. The round went through his pelvis/femur joint, shattering the whole thing, and then deflected up into the body cavity for more destruction. It took him two days.

If my buddy wouldn't have had that weapon, he would very likely be a footnote in that disaster down there.

That story is one of the things that catalyzed my decision to take up arms for defense. It also made me very thankful of our cornfields in Indiana.

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    It also made me very thankful of our cornfields in Indiana.

I am as well. My point is that the border patrol guys are down there working in a difficult position (to say the least). I don't know how this thing played out and I don't know if the agent was negligent or the militia member was a complete idiot, or both. I'm prepared to give at least a little benefit of the doubt to the agents when something like this happens. I don't expect them to wait until someone shoots at them to determine if a guy in camo with a long gun is friend or foe.

Top Bottom