• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    Something else to keep in mind here, folks.

Flying is “like riding a bike” in that you never really forget how to do it. BUT, it’s also 1,000x more complex and is absolutely a perishable skill. I’d wager a LOT of what you’re seeing is nothing more than training ops, flying to different airports to shake things up or shoot different instrument approaches. Pilots have to maintain “currency” (recent flight experience) to operate as pilot in command. The flying weather has been AMAZING as of late, so an uptick in flight activity shouldn’t really be alarming to anyone, IMO.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Something else to keep in mind here, folks.

Flying is “like riding a bike” in that you never really forget how to do it. BUT, it’s also 1,000x more complex and is absolutely a perishable skill. I’d wager a LOT of what you’re seeing is nothing more than training ops, flying to different airports to shake things up or shoot different instrument approaches. Pilots have to maintain “currency” (recent flight experience) to operate as pilot in command. The flying weather has been AMAZING as of late, so an uptick in flight activity shouldn’t really be alarming to anyone, IMO.
    This is certainly true.

However, when I watched the Grissom refueling wing do their elephant walk two weeks ago, the pucker factor was high.
    (this was during Pelosi's Taiwan visit)

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    This is certainly true.

However, when I watched the Grissom refueling wing do their elephant walk two weeks ago, the pucker factor was high.
    (this was during Pelosi's Taiwan visit)
    The tankers at Grissom do an elephant walk or two every year. Last one just happened to be scheduled when Pelosi took her little trip.

There are two airspace Military Operations Areas (MOA) in north central Indiana. They get a lot of use by Active, Guard and Reserve aircraft. Because the Grissom area has wide open airspace, it gets a lot of use by other units.

Top Bottom