Military BS Stories or the last liar wins.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Had to look that one up basically Norway‘s SEAL teams. The training is off the rails seriously bad dudes.

Never encountered them sounds like good guys to party with.

I guess it was about 1997 I attended the Reconnaissance and Surveillance Leaders course at Ft. Benning. We had some combat meteorologists from the AF.

The senior Instructor was doing the intro he asked what they did “we are combat meteorologists“.
    I wish you could have seen the look on everyone’s faces in the room.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Had to look that one up basically Norway‘s SEAL teams. The training is off the rails seriously bad dudes.

Never encountered them sounds like good guys to party with.

I guess it was about 1997 I attended the Reconnaissance and Surveillance Leaders course at Ft. Benning. We had some combat meteorologists from the AF.

The senior Instructor was doing the intro he asked what they did “we are combat meteorologists“.
    I wish you could have seen the look on everyone’s faces in the room.
    Combat Weather is a thing. I'm wanting to say the Weather troops assigned to Air Support Operations Squadrons have that designation. They wear pewter berets IIRC.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    @KellyinAvon is it like a grey color?

That's what they wore I had never heard of them before.
    They mainly get stationed at Army posts from what they told us. I guess like the FAC teams.

The short hair gave them away as not standard AF issue.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    At Ft. Bragg / Pope AFB (now Pope Field / Ft Liberty) they were called CCT Combat Control Team.

They would actually jump in ahead of the Airborne to send up weather balloons to tell us the winds at altitude. They would let the navigator to adjust the drop position.

The DZSO DropZone Safety Officer / NCO (Army) would take the wind reading at ground level and go / no go the jump and pop smoke.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas

I always sort of knew they were there, but never had any direct contact. they received a lot of special operations type training plus weather related training. looks like now they’ve been combined with other Air Force special operations type stuff like combat control teams and pararescue and so forth

Last edited:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I was a (ha ha) Intel Analyst Paratrooper.

Military Intelligence consists of 3 things WET Weather, Enemy, and Terrain.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    @KellyinAvon is it like a grey color?

That's what they wore I had never heard of them before.
    They mainly get stationed at Army posts from what they told us. I guess like the FAC teams.

The short hair gave them away as not standard AF issue.
    It is a gray, the SERE instructors wear a greenish-gray beret and I always had trouble telling the difference.

Hey now, I sported a short haircut and I'm a nerd.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Was reminded of this today on for some reason.

The absolute worst chewing out I got in the Marines was by a WM Major. It was eloquent, and blistering without cursing. I remember standing there in awe of her ability with words. Can't remember what the hell we did but the a**chewing was epic.

Don

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    There is always somebody who doesn’t get the word.

TLDR: A WWII B-29 photo reconnaissance outfit that transferred from one major unit to another was not on the distribution list for the order telling them not to fly within 50 miles of Hiroshima on a certain day.

So of course one of their B 29 reconnaissance planes flew over Hiroshima on a certain day at a certain time and noticed another single B-29 hightailing it in the opposite direction. Then the weirdest thing happened…

Do read the whole thing.

ETA:
    Died just a couple years ago from cancer. He was 96. I guess that radiation gets you eventually…

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    There is always somebody who doesn’t get the word.

TLDR: A WWII B-29 photo reconnaissance outfit that transferred from one major unit to another was not on the distribution list for the order telling them not to fly within 50 miles of Hiroshima on a certain day.

So of course one of their B 29 reconnaissance planes flew over Hiroshima on a certain day at a certain time and noticed another single B-29 hightailing it in the opposite direction. Then the weirdest thing happened…

Do read the whole thing.

ETA:
    Died just a couple years ago from cancer. He was 96. I guess that radiation gets you eventually…

He was 96

Most likely, he just got cancer.
    If he was going to get cancer from a bomb in 1945, it probably wasn't going to wait 50 more years.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    He was 96

Most likely, he just got cancer.
    If he was going to get cancer from a bomb in 1945, it probably wasn't going to wait 50 more years.
    My point.

at Cape Canaveral, I met a guy who stood underneath a Genie (nuclear warhead) rocket when it was detonated about 5 miles over his head. He was well into his elder years as well and volunteered to give tours at the Cape.

Top Bottom