• ...and so much more!
  • JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Once you get my age and are looking at most another dozen years shooting NFA, however, have to possible content with ten round machine guns (if the high cap mags are not grandfathered), ammo cost which is a pain and even reloading components being harder to find, possible not being able to make any new suppressor hosts, etc. One starts to consider if it is time to wrap up most everything, sell it off and change hobbies (still keep the standard issue half dozen ... carry gun, side arm, shotgun, 22LR & center fire rifle plus one full auto for grins ... Thompson if can have mags).

Not an offer to sell but thoughts in passing from someone that is semi retired and wondering if worth shooting the last few dozen cases off ammo or better off selling them now day.

Regards
    John

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Nope, it's not time to change hobbies, it's time to stand our ground! We owe it to our children and grand children, just like our fathers and grand fathers done for us! :patriot:

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I hope everyone doesn't let this blow completely out of proportion. Our side has made amazing strides in just the last few years. One idiot with an AR isn't going to change that.

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Never said was not writing every one that will listen ... or not listen as the case maybe. One of the options to consider is should one sell an evil black rifle and then donate the grand or three to where it will be best used (now after '86 not totally sure the NRA is the exact place, however, am three or four levels past Life member along with the family ;-).

And not really getting ride of any firearms that might actually be needed ....

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    While we enjoy firearms as a hobby, it is so much more than that. Firearms in the hands of citizens are the only thing keeping us from being slaves. If we lose that, the rest of the constitution will be eliminated with a stroke of a pen. We will all live like a red chinese peasant. The 2nd Amendment is serious, stay on task.

Last edited:

draftyranger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    137   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Shelbyville IN
    My main hobbie is shooting. I have several thousand dollars invested in this hobbie! I am also an American! It is my right to bear arms! Since this whole thing started after the shooting in Conn., I have heard several people say "well I just sell all of my guns". Some to make profit on the panic buyers, some just hear the posability of a ban and they throw there arms up and say "I Surrender." Nothing has happened yet! So far it has all been talk. To give up now is sad! Sure, I am worried about a ban! But I'm trying to gather what I can(guns, mags, ammo, etc) affordably. Hav'nt done any panic buying per say, can't afford it! Just a box of ammo here, box of ammo there. If a ban does come around(and thets a big IF), I am not going to throw my hands up and say "I Surender" and throw my guns in the shredder. I am going to stand and fight for this right, and this hobbie that brings me so much joy. If you want to give up you guns(hobbie), fine! Just sad to see freedom loving Americans just throw it away without a fight. Very depressing.

These are just my thoughts and I am not trying to be dissrespectful. Don't want to be burned at the stake! Thank You!

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    do what feels right

Seems to me like you're more interested in saving money and trimming down than getting out, based on your post. In fact it seems like, and correct me if I'm wrong, the current situation is possibly causing you to have worry, stress, or anxiety and you're at a maturity level to know that it's really not worth as much headache as it's causing. It also seems like you're not going to give up the good fight, just stop fighting on the front lines as it were.

I'd say to do what feels comfortable to you. I don't see this post coming on a whim and I don't think you'll be making any rash decisions. You've obviously got a lot wrapped up into your hobby and are maybe looking for a reason to keep going or a reason to stop but only you can decide that. Are you married? Have you spoken to your wife about this? Does she know you're going to be moping around the house more? She might not want you to stop.... Do you have kids/grandkids that you can take shooting, teach, and pass these down to? I think you have a lot to think about.

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Started out when the prices of NFA were a lot lower and got a few items for several hundred each vs the dozen grand plus now days. Have always traded and adjusted the toys to allow playing with more options than other wise would be the case. While collecting is always interesting, first priority for myself if shooting and trying different firearms, even if some of the old favorites have to leave to make room for more (space and money). The possibility of a ban and/or transfer ban puts a wrench in that hobby and thus has me thinking of down sizing at the moment. Added to the cost of ammo and components, have to rethink a Sunday afternoon shooting three thousand plus rounds .... in part more reloads and possible 7.62x54R.

Son has his own toys and is out of state working. Besides even down sizing leaves at least one with a go fast switch and a few accurate rifles for use to a mile ....

Last edited:

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    Sounds like you've already made up your mind really and just needed to put it in words. Hope everything works out for you, I'm sure your collection is something to behold, parting with stuff that has memories attached is sometimes the hardest thing to do.

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    More that put it into words, have to decide the basics of capitalism / greed and where the prices will go over the next month, year and decade (at most). Thinking selling a third, holding and shooting a third now and developing the last third for the next dozen years max (after that will just shoot the son's ;-) is the best option except for the (expletives deleted) AWB and MAG BANs. And as always this takes back seat to writing, calling and "communicating": with one's congressmen and senators!

Last edited:

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    More that put it into words, have to decide the basics of capitalism / greed and where the prices will go over the next month, year and decade (at most). Thinking selling a third, holding and shooting a third now and developing the last third for the next dozen years max (after that will just shoot the son's ;-) is the best option except for the (expletives deleted) AWB and MAG BANs. And as always this takes back seat to writing, calling and "communicating": with one's congressmen and senators!

Nothing's in place yet and despite" fears" I don't believe we'll be seeing one. Rhetoric from our president with no action is common place. Feinstein went too far and will lose support from conservative dems. The house won't let it through with all the pro-gun support either which means their overreaching to try to create something more strict than the previous awb will result in their failure as long as we don't get lazy with our support of pro-gun America.

Looks like you've got a plan in place and a good one at that.

Top Bottom