• ...and so much more!
  • Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Hypothetical: You see a crime about to be committed. You have it within your power to prevent it. Do you?
    Hypothetical: Is it a crime if I don't? I am not a police officer. I do not have a legal duty under pain of criminal liability to stop crimes.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Why were Jeffrey Dahmer’s parents not charged with cannabalism and murder? Supposably they knew he was a nut job.

1) He was an adult when he committed his crimes.

2) They didn't neglect him and arm him and send him out into the world after he repeatedly told them he was having signs of mental illness, as far as I know.

I would have personally hung that jury.

The mother is not a qualified psychologist, nor is she capable of seeing the future. Only one person pulled the trigger.

Shoveling every gun owner within arms reach of a tragedy into prison ain't it.

You have to be a qualified psychologist to know that someone complaining of hallucinations and demons in the house is not in a stable mindset? If you have to be a professional to realize that, the concept of common sense is well and truly dead and buried.

Let's not pretend this is "every gun owner". This isn't even every juvenile thug's gun owning parent. This is a willfully neglectful parent refusing to provide medical care *requested by the child* that any right thinking person would know was justified, providing them with a weapon, and then assuming it's someone else's problem to deal with. With fatal results for others.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    When working in the High School In School Suspension class I have searched back packs regularly, if I suspected something wrong . I was never 100% sure of the legality of it but figured if it could be seen as a safety issue I was doing it.

Only ever found vapes or cigarettes.

Had a good kid walk in my room to talk with a large pocket knife clipped in her belt. She was a great kid from a bad family. She forget it was there from work. Took it away from her and explained she really needed to be careful. Gave it back after school when she was leaving.

Don

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Been following this one. Been preaching this exact thing for at least 10 years. You want to put a dent in illegal shooting start holding the parents of these underage thugs accountable. At least the ones that have some culpability.
    That sounds like a solution. But I am reserved because a huge amount of the underage shooters and stabbers have welfare recipient "guardians" that are as sketchy as the punks. Once the child reaches adolescence, they become more and more autonomous in daily life.

Here is an actual example: 17 year old from a stable family, living in a nice home, whose sister in the National honor society, the parents are managers in their vocation. The boy is a decent student, and on a sports team. He starts running around with "gangster" punks who are new to town. Parents are horrified, and line up counseling along with other attempts to reel the boy back in. The "cool gangsters" group robs some houses, get some guns, shootings follow. In my mind the 17 year old gets prosecuted as an adult and serves his time.

Seeing what I have in my life, the parents are easy pickings. I fully expect some ambulance chaser types stripping the family of everything they own and splitting it with whatever plantiffs they can scrape up. I fully believe some judge will allow and hear the case. The family will be punished while another court will set the wrong doer free on any number of technical manipulations.

There is not enough righteousness left in our country to fire Mayorkas, a person no citizens even voted into office.

Last edited:

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    That sounds like a solution. But I am reserved because a huge amount of the underage shooters and stabbers have welfare recipient "guardians" that are as sketchy as the punks. Once the child reaches adolescence, they become more and more autonomous in daily life.

Here is an actual example: 17 year old from a stable family, living in a nice home, whose sister in the National honor society, the parents are managers in their vocation. The boy is a decent student, and on a sports team. He starts running around with "gangster" punks who are new to town. Parents are horrified, and line up counseling along with other attempts to reel the boy back in. The "cool gangsters" group robs some houses, get some guns, shootings follow. In my mind the 17 year old gets prosecuted as an adult and serves his time.

Seeing what I have in my life, the parents are easy pickings. I fully expect some ambulance chaser types stripping the family of everything they own and splitting it with whatever plantiffs they can scrape up. I fully believe some judge will allow and hear the case. The family will be punished while another court will set the wrong doer free on any number of technical manipulations.

There is not enough righteousness left in our country to fire Mayorkas, a person no citizens even voted into office.
    Can definitely see your prospective. But in the current case the kids family doesn’t meet your criteria. They didn’t do anything that you described. From a Joe six pack point of view, the parents were major enablers and were a major part of the problem. Hence the culpability.

Looks like my reply captured an extra paragraph some how re: Mayorkas, that didn’t enter into my response. It wasn’t in there when I hit reply.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Can definitely see your prospective. But in the current case the kids family doesn’t meet your criteria. They didn’t do anything that you described. From a Joe six pack point of view, the parents were major enablers and were a major part of the problem. Hence the culpability.

Looks like my reply captured an extra paragraph some how re: Mayorkas, that didn’t enter into my response. It wasn’t in there when I hit reply.
    I understand the Michigan case is different than I posted, that whole family is nuts. We are in agreement on that.

I just don't want to see a broad brush application. I weep about the perversion of justice and the lack of wisdom in application of justice in our government.

Old Road Dog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2022
    Gowdy
    Michigan parent Jennifer Crumbley was found guilty of 4 counts of Involuntary Manslaughter for her lack of supervision in the school shooting by her son Ethan. Her husband will also stand trial. IMO this is a first step in holding irresponsible parent(s?) accountable for the actions of their Minor children. I'm tired of hearing about 12,13,14,15,16 year olds shooting/robbing/beating/raping/or carjacking people, while their parent(s?) are out partying, on Fakebook or otherwise derelict in supervising or monitoring their offspring. We shouldn't have to live like this.
    I Totally understand some kids cannot be reined in or controlled, but to me this is a shot over the bow of those who let their kids run amok. Also I understand that in many cases Prosecutors may not have enough to indict, and many parents may evade conviction, but to run them through the legal process may bring more accountability.
    Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong, but would like to hear the opinions of others, especially in this community.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/jennifer-crumbley-guilty-verdict-parents-mass-shooters/story?id=107000948

Last edited:

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Michigan parent Jennifer Crumbley was found guilty of 4 counts of Involuntary Manslaughter for her lack of supervision in the school shooting by her son Ethan. Her husband will also stand trial. IMO this is a first step in holding irresponsible parent(s?) accountable for the actions of their Minor children. I'm tired of hearing about 12,13,14,15,16 year olds shooting/robbing/beating/raping/or carjacking people, while their parent(s?) are at the club, on Fakebook or otherwise derelict in supervising or monitoring their offspring. We shouldn't have to live like this.
    I Totally understand some kids cannot be reined in or controlled, but to me this is a shot over the bow of those who let their kids run amok. Also I understand that in many cases Prosecutors may not have enough to indict, and many parents may evade conviction, but to run them through the legal process may bring more accountability.
    Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong, but would like to hear the opinions of others, especially in this community.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/jennifer-crumbley-guilty-verdict-parents-mass-shooters/story?id=107000948
    convicted for failing to address warning signs?

What about all the other shooters where their therapists failed to address warning signs? What about when the FBI failed to address (or follow up) on warning signs?

If they're going to paint such a broad brush, everyone one at every level needs to be held accountable.

I believe there was a shooter in TX that got reported and investigated multiple times and was let go multiple times before shooting up a place.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    When working in the High School In School Suspension class I have searched back packs regularly, if I suspected something wrong . I was never 100% sure of the legality of it but figured if it could be seen as a safety issue I was doing it.
    The counselor at the school said he didn't search the backpack because he didn't believe he had reasonable suspicion to believe there was a gun in it, and the search would have been unlawful.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I think that sets a dangerous precedent though. Yes, parents shouldn't be absent. But to be able to be prosecuted for not noticing or addressing warning signs?

Pass.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I think that sets a dangerous precedent though. Yes, parents shouldn't be absent. But to be able to be prosecuted for not noticing or addressing warning signs?

Pass.

Neglect resulting in death of a dependent is a crime. Do you agree with that one?

If he killed himself, it's a crime but if he kills others then the parent has no culpability?

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Willful ignorance is 100% on the parents shoulders. Be a parent and for god sakes be present to your child/children, not a passenger to their lives.
    ^
    This.

Entirely from my perspective, it seems that today’s parents attempt to be more of their child’s friend than they do being their parent. The two are exclusive.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Neglect resulting in death of a dependent is a crime. Do you agree with that one?

If he killed himself, it's a crime but if he kills others then the parent has no culpability?
    So if the kid commits suicide, we lock up the parents?

if the kid steals a car, and gets in a wreck that kills others, we lock up the parents?

How many people here took their parents cars on a small joy ride when they were underage and their parents weren't home?

Reactions: Leo

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

Parents are responsible for the actions of their minor, dependent children. FULLSTOP.

So, yes: parents should be held accountable, generally speaking, in these kinds of situations.

TheGrumpyGuy

Get off my lawn!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    Too close for comfort
    Parents are responsible for the actions of their minor, dependent children. FULLSTOP.

So, yes: parents should be held accountable, generally speaking, in these kinds of situations.
    So the answer is to keep your children locked in a cage until they turn 18, then immediately kick their ass to the curb - gotcha

Top Bottom