• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Looking into a metal gun cabinets that I can keep my guns in and restrict access to kids and to some degree, burglars. Looking for a light weight option like the secureit agile(40 or 52) or Gallow Technologies, or perhaps any other recommendations of a cabinet that's made of metal. Only reason I'm not going with a safe is due to weight...

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    If you are on a single floor dwelling then the generic gun safe (basic security container) is not extremely hard to get into about anywhere with two people and a dolly or appliance dolly. has a Fire rating and if you have a crawl space or even a slab floor you can bolt it down to the floor. Compared to a real gun safe they move easy a true safe does not move easy. I have moved my cannons by myself but I am very hard headed and stubborn. I will also say that once a bit of dry wall mud and paint was needed after the move. I would not attempt to do a basement stair or second story personally. With a few bright minds we could do it.

Sure the steel lockers are lighter and can be bolted down. Fire rating? I have seen some wonderful cabinets being made now and in the past I used real old school lockers that were more than what I needed at the time. The new ones do look good and all the add ones they sell for them make them look perfect, remember they make them for mobility in the military and where the lockers are stored are in a secure storage building on a secured base.

Other things I have used to store guns. Tool chests. An old pop machine.

Not to give away OPSPEC here is a plan. Have the outside of the house monitored with either cameras or motion sensors or both. Have an indoor alarm system of some type. Have a room that locks up. Have a big dog outside/inside. Have an alarm in the gun room. Have a camera in the gun room. Bolt to the floor. Bolt in a place where if fits just perfect in a closet or a corner wall. Remember now ammo is like gold or silver. Lock ammo up also. Get a container larger than you think you will need. I have two now.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Couple of gun safe observations;

Anyone that sees your safe can make you a target for theft or robbery. Contractors, service people, installers, etc. Also don't forget that friends, neighbors and even family can "out" that there is a "safe full of expensive guns," in the house. Even if there is only a cheap .22 in it.

Loose lips sink ships.

Innocent conversation from your own kids to their friends can be a breach of security that can make you a target.

Online pictures or video of your safe, even just in the background, never go away.

The nicest, most expensive, most secure gun safe in the world doesn't matter if there is a gun to your wife or kid's head. That door will open right up.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I have two Agiles, an Answer and a SnapSafe.

The best thing about the SecureIt products is they will actually hold the number of rifles stated with all of them having scopes/optics. Their racking/storage system is very good.

The Agile safes must be bolted down or the weight of the door in the open position can tip them. Of course you will want them bolted/screwed down anyway.

The down side is the price of these units.

From my casual observations, the StackOn type products have a very attractive price but would need modifications to hold scoped guns and slightly less secure against thieves. The mods could be as simple as using rifle rods.

https://www.storemoreguns.com/rifle-rods-gun-rack-system/

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I had a stack on I used for a few rifles and a few pistols. I gave it to one of my boys who wanted it for his guns. It will keep anyone out who doesn't have a key or tools to get in or rip it from the wall and or floor.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Stack on customer here. As others have said, these cabinets require a bit of camo to be effective. Best in the back of a closet where a contractor wont go, a thief might miss as they hurredly look for stuff, etc.

You need it to be out of sight for best results.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    The weight of a normal safe is a little concerning since my floor joist are a bit on the small side and further apart then I like and the area I want it at, isn't accessable via crawlspace.

It'd be behind the door when you enter the room, so you don't see it unless you close the door.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Stack on customer here. As others have said, these cabinets require a bit of camo to be effective. Best in the back of a closet where a contractor wont go, a thief might miss as they hurredly look for stuff, etc.

You need it to be out of sight for best results.
    That gives me an idea. I have wood flooring, and I could pull some up and fasten a few cabinets to the floor joists. Then put the flooring back down in a way that is easy to pick up for access to the cabinets.
    Put moisture eaters inside for long term storage.

ed1838

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 20, 2022
    Seymour
    That gives me an idea. I have wood flooring, and I could pull some up and fasten a few cabinets to the floor joists. Then put the flooring back down in a way that is easy to pick up for access to the cabinets.
    Put moisture eaters inside for long term storage.
    I like that idea could throw a rug over and nobody would notice. My couch is one of them sectionals behind them is gun racks a pain to get to if wanted fast. I just have some stuff that I don't use and didn't want to sale keeps them hidden and out of the way. I guess I need another safe or cabinet to store them.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I got an inexpensive gun safe from Rural king, $139, easy to move, but I have it bolted down to the floor...it will only stop an unmotivated thief....

ed1838

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 20, 2022
    Seymour
    The weight of a normal safe is a little concerning since my floor joist are a bit on the small side and further apart then I like and the area I want it at, isn't accessable via crawlspace.

It'd be behind the door when you enter the room, so you don't see it unless you close the door.
    I friend of mine had his home broken into a couple years ago. He has a safe they didn't get into. Took a shotgun and ruger 22 that was outside of safe just next to it, because no room left. They missed the shotgun that was hidden when door was opened and didn't find his bedside handgun.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I picked up a stack on at the goodwill for about 15 bucks.

New locks on it for around another 20ish.

Sits in the garage now as a storage area for misc. stuff

Top Bottom