• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Squamous cell on the forearm removed. A rather large chunk removed but it healed well and I only have a 3” scar as a reminder. Have been using 70 spf ever since and avoid long stretches of direct sunlight at a time.
    My dad died from that when it got into his esophagus. Very curable(85%) when you catch it early. Glad to see you stayed proactive after with the sunscreen.

After my mohs treatment, I now wear a hat when I go outside and use sunscreen too.

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Since we're getting into hats, here's mine I got from REI a few years back. Derm said to cover my neck and ears. I usually only wear this in the Keys and I use a 70spf, especially on my nose. Derm also said it's more the sun you got in the past, than future sun, that will cause these cancerous cells.

Some years back I spent a week on Sanibel using a 30spf. Went down to the Keys from there. First day spent 3 hrs on a kayak in the Atlantic with 30spf on. Got a nasty burn. Now I don't spend a minute outside in the Keys without at least 50spf.

1696256781610.jpeg

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Since we're getting into hats, here's mine I got from REI a few years back. Derm said to cover my neck and ears. I usually only wear this in the Keys and I use a 70spf, especially on my nose. Derm also said it's more the sun you got in the past, than future sun, that will cause these cancerous cells.

Some years back I spent a week on Sanibel using a 30spf. Went down to the Keys from there. First day spent 3 hrs on a kayak in the Atlantic with 30spf on. Got a nasty burn. Now I don't spend a minute outside in the Keys without at least 50spf.

View attachment 302914
    Yep, I'm sure mine was many sunburns, having grown up in FL in the 70's, 80's.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Yep, I'm sure mine was many sunburns, having grown up in FL in the 70's, 80's.
    Yeah, 10 summers in FL as a kid plus numerous sunburns over the years, especially in my teenage years.

I wear a buff around my neck at times. The left side of my neck is permanently "red". Doc said it was due to the over 1,000,000 miles I have driving. Side windows are/were not UV protectant.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    Well I ended up getting the Mohs procedure yesterday. Took about 3 hours with most of the time waiting for them to analyze the excised tissue. The actual procedure took maybe 25 minutes. No pain what so ever. Went in once, then 1 more time to get everything removed. Got 5 stitches which come out in a week. They took before and after photos. Nurse asked me if I wanted to see them. Sure, the incision looked to be the size of quarter, kinda narly. I say to the nurse, you must see some nasty stuff. She was like oh yeah. Mostly the elderly that don't come up to be treated until things get ugly. Yuck! Asked about going to the gym. Nada till stitches come out next Thursday. Which is going to be a drag. No lifting anything over 10 pounds. Although I think they say that to cover their butts.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Well I ended up getting the Mohs procedure yesterday. Took about 3 hours with most of the time waiting for them to analyze the excised tissue. The actual procedure took maybe 25 minutes. No pain what so ever. Went in once, then 1 more time to get everything removed. Got 5 stitches which come out in a week. They took before and after photos. Nurse asked me if I wanted to see them. Sure, the incision looked to be the size of quarter, kinda narly. I say to the nurse, you must see some nasty stuff. She was like oh yeah. Mostly the elderly that don't come up to be treated until things get ugly. Yuck! Asked about going to the gym. Nada till stitches come out next Thursday. Which is going to be a drag. No lifting anything over 10 pounds. Although I think they say that to cover their butts.
    Yeah, I had to take a break from the gym also.

They used staples in my head though. Seven. The doc laughed when she finished and I said "seven". She thought it was funny I counted them.

They did stitch it internally though. Those dissolved but I had to go back and have the staples removed.

I don't know where your was but I was pretty disciplined about using scar away, keeping it moist and massaging it 2X per day.

You can hardly see the scar and there are no hard spots in the skin.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    Yeah, I had to take a break from the gym also.

They used staples in my head though. Seven. The doc laughed when she finished and I said "seven". She thought it was funny I counted them.

They did stitch it internally though. Those dissolved but I had to go back and have the staples removed.

I don't know where your was but I was pretty disciplined about using scar away, keeping it moist and massaging it 2X per day.

You can hardly see the scar and there are no hard spots in the skin.
    Mine was on the right side of my face on the lower cheek. The only thing my Dermo said to do is keep a bandage on it till the stitches come out. Change bandage 2x a day. Applying a liberal amount of Vaseline on the incision each time I change the bandage. It's been a hassle keeping a bandage on due to the location of the incision on my face.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Had it not been for my wife demanding I see the dermatologist she has been going to I most likely wouldn't be typing this. She noticed a place on my nose that didn't look quite right. Upon visiting the dermatologist the Dr. barely had made her way through the exam room door when she said "I don't like the looks of that."

MOHS surgery was scheduled within a week. I was lucky (I suppose) in that the Dr. was able to remove the necessary area and I received a skin graft with skin taken from behind my ear.

It's not the most pleasant experience I've gone through, but I'd compare going to the dentist as more painful. However, those who don't believe a dermatology visit is beneficial at least on an annual basis are just rolling the dice. Especially those of us who have made several trips around the sun.

Don't know if the mods will want this deleted, but I post this post procedure picture not to shock people - but as a means of emphasize the severity of this issue. There is a scar, but the alternative - perhaps fatal - would have been much worse. 15DE4E5F-AAA0-43BB-9038-4F85BF2BF74B.jpeg

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    Had it not been for my wife demanding I see the dermatologist she has been going to I most likely wouldn't be typing this. She noticed a place on my nose that didn't look quite right. Upon visiting the dermatologist the Dr. barely had made her way through the exam room door when she said "I don't like the looks of that."

MOHS surgery was scheduled within a week. I was lucky (I suppose) in that the Dr. was able to remove the necessary area and I received a skin graft with skin taken from behind my ear.

It's not the most pleasant experience I've gone through, but I'd compare going to the dentist as more painful. However, those who don't believe a dermatology visit is beneficial at least on an annual basis are just rolling the dice. Especially those of us who have made several trips around the sun.

Don't know if the mods will want this deleted, but I post this post procedure picture not to shock people - but as a means of emphasize the severity of this issue. There is a scar, but the alternative - perhaps fatal - would have been much worse. View attachment 308798
    Dam bro, you owe your wife big time.

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    I found one. I went to a location in the same area you speak of. Young guy, Dr Purdue. I need to see if they are in the same office.

Yep, just looked it up, same office! Everyone was nice.
    I see Wilson; wife sees Purdue. I go twice/year and if anything seems remotely out of the ordinary, I make an additional appointment.

Top Bottom