• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    Hi all, I was recently diagnosed with basal cell cancer on the right cheek of my face. I know that basal cell cancer is slow spreading. My Dermatologist is offering 2 options. A MOHS procedure, which is surgical. And in doing some quick research. Can be quite involved in certain cases. The other option is radiation treatments. It's a 5 minute procedure, but it takes 20 procedures to complete. Both offer similar success rates. My question is, has anyone had either one of these procedures? If so, I would really appreciate any feedback. Thanks in advance!

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Hi all, I was recently diagnosed with basal cell cancer on the right cheek of my face. I know that basal cell cancer is slow spreading. My Dermatologist is offering 2 options. A MOHS procedure, which is surgical. And in doing some quick research. Can be quite involved in certain cases. The other option is radiation treatments. It's a 5 minute procedure, but it takes 20 procedures to complete. Both offer similar success rates. My question is, has anyone had either one of these procedures? If so, I would really appreciate any feedback. Thanks in advance!
    I've had MOHS on nose right next to cheek area like 10-11 years ago. It looked small on the surface, but they had to go several rounds (maybe 5? all done during the same visit) and at the time I believe he mentioned had they needed to go more rounds they might have needed to do a flap or a graph, etc, but luckily didn't need to go there. I remember feeling like I thought he was going to put his foot on the side of my head to get leverage to close it up, due to how much they had to take and the skin being tight there.

Due to the area (near sinuses, etc) and depth they went to get clean edges, it was a little rough for a few days if I recall. Kind of hurt down into my teeth and black and blue eyes, etc. No issues (knock on wood since) and I have a yearly checkout at a dermatologist. My dermatologist was not the one who did the surgery, due to it being facial, etc if I recall.

During one of my follow ups my derm asked me about messing with some of the broken blood vessels near the scar (not bad) and I told him if it involved more needles in my face, I'd rather not go there.

I didn't get offered any options on radiation back when I did mine that I recall.

Last edited:

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    I had a squamous carcinoma on my scalp over a year ago and had it removed via Mohs. It was less than the size of dime. It was not unpleasant, but did take much of the day. He only had to cut once. The wound was filled in with a patch taken from my collarbone area. I had a bandage on my scalp that I had to take care of for a few days and a wound that needed tending for a week to 10 days. I don't remember taking any pain meds. For me, the anticipation of it was considerably worse than the reality.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    I've had mohs twice. Once behind my right ear and the other on my collar bone. The one by the ear I had to get cut twice. The one on my shoulder had to get 3 times. Had quite a few stitches on both. Pain afterwards was minimal. Took the prescription for a day I think then advil after that and was fine. I opted for that over radiation because I know they got it all at the time and I didn't have to keep going back over and over to make sure it was done. One surgery day and a follow up day to remove stitches. I don't care if I have scars though. If you are more worried about scars than the radiation might be a better option for you because if they go in 3 times you will have a scar.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    I had MOHS done several years ago on the left side of my nose/cheek. Basal Cell carcinoma. Took3 tries if I remember. Black eye, minimal pain. No scarring to speak of.

Wife told the Dr she wanted me to look like Tom Selleck when he was done. He said there wasn't enough to work with.........

Since I have had a melanoma removed from my back and last year one from my right scalp above the ear. More invasive, again not a lot of pain and minimal scarring.
    Because there has been multiple occurrences I get checked every 3 months.

Good luck, Don

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Still getting grief after the last one on my scalp for an incident a month after it was done. The site was healing well, still sore to the touch. I was getting the lawn mower ready for the season. Oil change, lube and sharpened. The dogs brought a 6 pt deer skull and antlers out of the woods 30 years ago. It has been hanging on the side of the garage since then. While working on the mower it decided to fall off. Did it hit me on the shoulder, foot neck, back ,legs???.... NO! it hit right on the nearly healed surgical site..... Lots of blood, wife was convulsed in laughter "Only you!!!" she kept saying. I had to explain to the Dr how it was done at a checkup later, she laughed as well.

Don

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Hard to find a good Dermatologist; any recommendations. I live very close to Brownsburg.
    I go to these guys https://dermindy.com/ and get my yearly check, etc. I see them in Plainfield office.

But they are not the ones that did my Mohs, as at least back then, they wouldn't jump into that, at least with where it was for me, etc. Not sure if they do some of that now and to what extent, but at the time they referred me out for that specific procedure.

Last edited:

k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County
    I had two places removed with Mohs this spring. One on the temple and cheek. Procedure took about three hours and he got it all in one visit. He did recommend two rounds of "blue light treatment" before the surgery and two rounds after. This is where he puts a cream on the area and covers it. Then you come back in three hours and put a blue light over your face for about 15 minutes. The cream soaks into the skin and reacts with the light to kill small cancer cells under the skin.

Both places healed well and there are no scars.

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Here's the dematology office I go to on NW side Indy --
    6820 Parkdale Pl # 211, Indianapolis, IN 46254
    They're with IU Health (317) 329-7050
    Dr Michael Murphy in Greenwood did my mohs.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Had some basil cell taken off my scalp about a year ago. MOHs treatment.

I have a good dermatologist and you can barely see the scar even though she cut a big hunk of my head out! It was scary looking at first and when she said it would heal with barely a scar, I didn’t believe her.

Of course I used scar away and nightly massage on the area so I did my part.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    I had a MOHS on my nose. Went deep enough they grafted some skin from behind my ear to close it. Had some issues with healing in the donor site but overall not bad.

my derm is here

Backpacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Greenwood
    I had a basil cell carcinoma surgically removed from my neck below the left ear about twenty years ago. Turned out to be benign. The scar is about 3/16 diameter. Never had any other problem.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I'm not sure what exactly it was that my dad had removed or what procedure... But his anti-rejection meds left him susceptible to sunburn and skin cancers. He eventually had to have a slice taken off the top of one of his ears. I told him he looked like a trapped, neutered, and released feral cat....

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Squamous cell on the forearm removed. A rather large chunk removed but it healed well and I only have a 3” scar as a reminder. Have been using 70 spf ever since and avoid long stretches of direct sunlight at a time.

Top Bottom