Mechanical differences between a Kimber Micro 9 and a Compact 1911?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wood&Steel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2020
    Lafayette
    Hi all!

First off, as someone new to guns, these forums have been incredibly helpful and educational for me. Thanks you to everyone for making them what they are.

Anyway, I'm looking into the Kimber Micro 9 (or p938) for deep concealment, but I'm having a hard time finding information on what differentiates them from a 1911. Am I correct in thinking that a full size 1911 and a compact 1911 are mechanically the same? Are there any interchangeable parts between a 1911 and the micro 9, or are the just "similar"?

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    the micro9/380 shares only cosmetic similarities with a 1911. The only interchangeable part is the ammo.

It's VERY similar to the sig 238/938 though. some people have swapped mags but it's hit or miss and may involve tweaks. Not sure if any internals are compatible.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have a couple of P938s and the first has been trouble free from the very start. Fantastic gun. The second had some break in issues of FTF for about 150 rounds. It’s now nearing the 1k round mark and has been perfect since about round #150. It’s now a fantastic little gun too.

To the OP’s question, russc nailed it. Similar in shape and control location but that’s about it. Not a knock though, as the P238 or P938 are great deep concealment guns.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I have wondered about the reliability of the Kimber Micro 9.
    I have a springfield EMP 9mm, and it stove-pipes easialy if limp wristed.
    It does. Pretty much any gun that size has that problem. Tiny parts in tiny guns leave no room for tolerance or overbuilding it.

Top Bottom