• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    Any reason you are surprised at any of this?
    This country lost it's courage, manliness and common sense a long time ago.
    the nanny state is in effect.
    until the real market crash that is coming.
    then we'll see how reality changes things

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Step one, invent boogey man.

Step two, remind everyone every day that the boogey man wants to kill them, and that only the government is keeping him at bay.

Step three, tell the citizens that THEY might be the boogey man who is trying to kill them, that only the government can defeat.

There you have it. Instant Autocracy in a box.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    In a cornfield
    Mayor Bloomberg defends his practice of having police stop and frisk New Yorkers without reasonable suspicion.

Storm and angst over next door Chicago where cops will be standing on corners watching anarchists, but nary a word about police harrassment in far off New York City.

Bloomberg Likens the NYPD's 'Stop and Frisk' Program to Random DUI Checkpoints - Hit & Run : Reason.com

The recent Bloomberg comments about DUI checkpoints are new, but there have been threads here about New York's Stop and Frisk before.

As for the storm and angst that you are missing... If there is little debate, threads have a habit of going quietly into the night. Let everyone know why this is good stuff and I'm sure you will find the thread grow longer.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    So in one year they stopped and frisked more young black men than there are young black men in the entire city. Sullum also nails it with regard to this kind of policing. If they seizure of contraband begins to tail the program is a success and must be maintained. If seizure levels are still trending up, the program is working and needs to be expanded. The program can never be rolled back. There is not a losing hand.

Stop-and-Frisks Still No Fun for Black and Latino Men -- Daily Intel

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    People, by and large, don't give a **** about Liberty.

They care about their perceived safety, entertainment, and their appearance. That's it.

Want to know how I know that? What do we spend all of our money on? Social Security, Medical Security, Physical Security, make up, clothes, shoes, gadgets, gizmos.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011

They care about their perceived safety, entertainment, and their appearance. That's it.

Want to know how I know that? What do we spend all of our money on? Social Security, Medical Security, Physical Security, make up, clothes, shoes, gadgets, gizmos.

There is much truth in that statement.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009

I wouldn't say that. I would imagine that many of these poor, minority young men care about liberty, 98% of them were doing nothing wrong. What are they supposed to do about it? They have to be stopped and frisked. You can't say no thanks. They don't have the resources to challenge anything in court. Stop and frisks don't happen in suburbia. Legislators aren't going to touch the situation - the numbers show that the program "works". Organizations like the ACLU seem to be their only recourse.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    And that article right there is why I am boycotting the entire state of New York.

Pure and simple Douche Baggery at its finest. I don't normally wish ill will toward individuals, but I don't think I would bat an eye if Bloomberg DIAF.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    The adversaries of Liberty are just too powerful.

We are too weak; unable to cope with so formidable an adversary. Maybe we will be stronger next week, or the next year. Maybe we will be stronger when we are totally disarmed, and when a guard shall be stationed in every house. We shall gather strength by irresolution and inaction. We shall acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until the adversaries of Liberty have bound us hand and foot.

-New Patrick Henry

Last edited:

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I wouldn't say that. I would imagine that many of these poor, minority young men care about liberty, 98% of them were doing nothing wrong. What are they supposed to do about it? They have to be stopped and frisked. You can't say no thanks. They don't have the resources to challenge anything in court. Stop and frisks don't happen in suburbia. Legislators aren't going to touch the situation - the numbers show that the program "works". Organizations like the ACLU seem to be their only recourse.

I said by and large. Of course the persecuted minority cares about liberty. The majority doesn't. The majority has very little appetite for minority rights anymore as seen by our constant push towards a more and more "democratic" state, where the mob vote rules, and rights are what the government allows.

Our society is also very vindictive. I'm sure most people saw what was happening and said, "serves them right!"

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    These unconstitutional searches are insane. The politicians instituting these policies are insane. The willingness of the sheep to go along with it is insane. The political leaders that can, but won't do something about it are insane. "We the People" stand for it because it doesn't have any impact on the majority of us...yet.

First, they came for the xxxx and I did nothing because I wasn't an xxxx.

This NY situation has been building since 9/11. The police force is no longer even paramilitary. They ARE a civilian military force. M-16's on the steet corner, APC's and tanks in the streets and...

New Yorkers have been sold and they willingly bought the "we have to do X in order to keep you safe" myth.

This is accelerating all over the county with the militarization of law enforcement, unmanned aerial drones, etc., etc., etc.

This doesn't look like it will end well if it stays on this tack. Is there anyone we can count on for a jibe? Anyone? Hello?

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I tell my kids every chance I get about the evils of government. If the state can brainwash entire generations into believing that government is good and necessary, then certainly parents can reverse the trend. :dunno:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Let him terrorize his own people, hopefully he will leave our gun shows alone while he is busy with this.

Seriously, the people of NYC must like this. They keep voting him back in to control their fat and salt intake and continue to come up with new and better ways to subjugate them.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Let him terrorize his own people, hopefully he will leave our gun shows alone while he is busy with this.

Seriously, the people of NYC must like this. They keep voting him back in to control their fat and salt intake and continue to come up with new and better ways to subjugate them.

Agreed, read this the other day and couldn't believe it. One thing the article said is that the people stopped didn't have to consent to being searched! Isn't NYC still in the USA? :dunno:

Top Bottom