• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    So I am trying to understand why a lot of match grade ammo appears to be Hollow Points Versus a FMJ? I would think that round nose lead would offer better accuracy? Just wondering if somehow there is better weight distribution with Hollow Points. or?

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    The target bullets, which often feature a small hollow point tip, form a small bubble of air at the tip as they travel through the air. It works as a bearing of sorts, that's virtually perfect in shape as the bullet spins extremely fast and moves forward. This makes for a very repeatable flight path.

If you were to, instead, form these bullets with a sharp point (no hollow point), there would be no room for the perfect bubble of air to form. With no leading air bearing/bubble, the path of the bullet could vary more...depending on how precise and perfect this point is.

On a related note, the bullet tail design (shape, length, etc.) makes a big difference too. Lots of technology/physics in bullet design for sure.

Last edited:

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Yes the weight distribution of some hollow points lends to better stability and therefore more accuracy.

The most accurate round would be made on a lathe from a homogeneous metal like beryllium copper.

And others. The brothers Warner just do most things a little better than the rest.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    The target bullets, which often feature a small hollow point tip, form a small bubble of air at the tip as they travel through the air. It works as a bearing of sorts, that's virtually perfect in shape as the bullet spins extremely fast and moves forward. This makes for a very repeatable flight path.

If you were to, instead, form these bullets with a sharp point (no hollow point), there would be no room for the perfect bubble of air to form. With no leading air bearing/bubble, the path of the bullet could vary more...depending on how precise and perfect this point is.

None of that happens.

The open tip (not a true "hollow point") is a relic of the manufacturing process, not a feature.

The cutting edge users of this type of match bullet are taking steps to remove nearly all of the open tip, by pointing the bullets even more than the factory is (or was...there are quite a few factory-pointed bullets now).

FMJ bullets can be made to be very accurate, but it's a very ponderous thing, slow AF, and expensive. True "match" FMJ have never really existed because the front-loaded open tip bullets have mostly won everything to be won.

There is, or was, a Lapua .30 cal FMJRBT used in some specific NATO-esque European matches. It is decent, but not a head-to-head competitor against anything better. Same for some of the really high-quality Ball ammo around the world.

Swiss GP11, for example, is loaded more precisely than many hand loaders can turn out. But it's still an FMJ.

If it can't win a real match of any account, well..I guess it ain't "match grade".

Oh. And Hornady A-tip and other polymer-tipped bullets are STILL in the open-tip match, front-loaded category. They just get some plastic (or aluminum) shoved in the front.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Thanks guessing the specifics that go into design and manufacture of them are far above my pay grade.
    Probably not. It's not super complex stuff, and since you have the balls to stand here and ask a question, thereby admitting to the world that you don't know already... well, that's worth a lot.

Ignorance is easy to solve, if a person will show up and listen.

Lacking propulsion, bullets can't even be considered rocket science, even though a few rocket scientists work on them. :)

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Just for another reference point and more interesting info...
    Eley Tenex ammo (.22lr) also has an unique bullet tip design (a bit similar to OTM), which optimizes pressure areas etc.

https://eley.co.uk/eley-tenex/

"The iconic flat nose projectile of ELEY tenex is one of many innovations pioneered by ELEY engineers. As it cuts through the air its revolutionary design pulls the centre of pressure forwards, aerodynamically stabilizing the projectile and increasing accuracy at the target."

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    So I am trying to understand why a lot of match grade ammo appears to be Hollow Points Versus a FMJ? I would think that round nose lead would offer better accuracy? Just wondering if somehow there is better weight distribution with Hollow Points. or?
    I see we got to rifle bullets, what were you asking about originally rifle or pistol?

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I see we got to rifle bullets, what were you asking about originally rifle or pistol?
    Most pistol target ammo is either FMJ, or WC/SWC.

Not too many open-tip match pistol bullets. Thus, all of our assumptions.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Probably not. It's not super complex stuff, and since you have the balls to stand here and ask a question, thereby admitting to the world that you don't know already... well, that's worth a lot.

Ignorance is easy to solve, if a person will show up and listen.

Lacking propulsion, bullets can't even be considered rocket science, even though a few rocket scientists work on them. :)
    Well there is a lot that I do not know lol. But there are quite a few around here that are really knowledgeable.

I can not tell you how many times I get asked something then it’s followed up by well you are a … aren’t you. Well yes but that does not mean I am an all knowing gun guru. It just means that I know my chosen platform and I train diligently.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Found this on Shooting Sports USA:
    Weight variations are easier to hold in hollow-point bullets as the soft lead core easily fills the jacket and the front face of the core under the hollow point remains flat. In an FMJ bullet, weight variations resulting from seating the hard lead core in the tapering jacket are much harder to control and create variations in base configuration. Hollow-point match bullets often vary less than ½-grain in total weight, while FMJ bullets can vary by twice that and more.

Top Bottom