• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you agree with enforceable travel curfews?

• Total voters

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Again, Libertarians with nothing to offer but snarky remarks. I've pretty much lost all respect for Libertarians if INGO Libertarians are an accurate representation of them. I'm beginning to see why the 99% of the population who don't identify as Libertarians regard the 1% who do as kooks.

This is a great example of that. Also probably why they don't win elections. The "F" you I got mine message doesn't resonate.

2ndAmendmentdefender

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Indiana
    Because every act of governance is an infringement, doncha know.

I think the state has every right to make such mandates if it is going to be expected to bail out the stupid people.

The government can easily make the statement "if you drive and ecounter problems, the state will not bail you out!"

Liberty1911

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    This is a great example of that. Also probably why they don't win elections. The "F" you I got mine message doesn't resonate.

When every argument turns into a rant about the "drug war", and if you don't agree to end it immediately, the consequences be damned, then you're anti-liberty, it's hard to take people like that seriously.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    When every argument turns into a rant about the "drug war", and if you don't agree to end it immediately, the consequences be damned, then you're anti-liberty, it's hard to take people like that seriously.

I'll at least give level.eleven some credit for consistency, even if we don't agree a lot of the time.

You get an 'F' in consistency, but an 'A' in persistence.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    :bs:

I've been in blizzards in Nebraska, Manitoba and Minnesota. They're not picnics, sorry. And even the 'normal' weather is pretty intense in winter. Frankly the factors you cite are irrelevant, unless you want to cling to this notion that the coasts are somehow more deserving of our attention and federal relief monies.

And that's every year.

Also experienced one in Chicago.

You are making a distinction without a difference. Bad weather is bad weather and will kill you wherever you live.

Now federal relief money enters the conversation about tyranny and salt. Good grief, if you can't grasp the difference of a record setting blizzard hitting Boston and one one hitting Bismarck, I don't know what else I can say. Density, a sea coast, an international airport, an old city with a 200 year old layout, financial sectors...more people live in Boston than all of North Dakota combined. The concept that natural disasters are harder to deal with in the world's largest populations centers than sparsely populated rural plains shouldn't be this difficult to grasp. If you want me to say that no one would be inconvenienced by ND being hit hard with a blizzard versus the eastern sea board from NY to Providence, up through Boston...well, no kidding. This may also come as a surprise, but Manitoba devotes more resources to snow emergencies because they experience them more often.

Last edited:

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Now federal relief money enters the conversation about tyranny and salt. Good grief, if you can't grasp the difference of a record setting blizzard hitting Boston and one one hitting Bismarck, I don't know what else I can say. Density, a sea coast, an international airport, an old city with a 200 year old layout, financial sectors...more people live in Boston than all of North Dakota combined. The concept that natural disasters are harder to deal with in the world's largest populations centers than sparsely populated rural plains shouldn't be this difficult to grasp. If you want me to say that no one would be inconvenienced by ND being hit hard with a blizzard versus the eastern sea board from NY to Providence, up through Boston...well, no kidding. This may also come as a surprise, but Manitoba devotes more resources to snow emergencies because they experience them more often.

Of course you're right. People in flyover country should just STFU and adulate their betters on the coasts. Our existence is so insignificant we should all become indentured servants to fill the coastal coffers. When we're used up and can no longer replenish the federal EBT account, we should just hie off to the glue factory and make way for the next generation of wage slaves.

I would guess most people in ND, MB or wherever have a pretty good idea of how to ride out a storm. People in the East, not so much, so the feds will ride to the rescue again with your dollars and mine.

:spend:

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Actually, I've read that more like 15% of voters have libertarian values. That doesn't mean they all vote Libertarian party.

How is what the Governor is doing a violation of libertarian values? Is there a point where libertarian values put others in danger for no justifiable reason, in sense, infringing on their values?

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Of course you're right. People in flyover country should just STFU and adulate their betters on the coasts. Our existence is so insignificant we should all become indentured servants to fill the coastal coffers. When we're used up and can no longer replenish the federal EBT account, we should just hie off to the glue factory and make way for the next generation of wage slaves.

I would guess most people in ND, MB or wherever have a pretty good idea of how to ride out a storm. People in the East, not so much, so the feds will ride to the rescue again with your dollars and mine.

:spend:

Wow. I said nothing of the sort. Have a nice night, I don't have anything else to say to your strawmen and nonsensical assessments.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    How is what the Governor is doing a violation of libertarian values? Is there a point where libertarian values put others in danger for no justifiable reason, in sense, infringing on their values?

No, libertarian values do not put others in danger. Irresponsible behavior puts others in danger.

My libertarian values don't change my opinion of this behavior. It affects the manner in which I think it ought to be addressed.

And government force is not the way to address irresponsible behavior. If it was, then I'd also have to support drug and alcohol prohibitions, gun control and other things of that nature. Things that punish people not for causing harm to another, but for doing or possessing things that might cause harm to another.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    I have so many conflicting thoughts on this.....If you have a vehicle capable of safely traversing the streets in this storm, then no big deal. If you don't have such a vehicle, and you get stranded, you would probably expect emergency services to rescue you. If you are a taxpayer, you pay for those services. It IS Massachusetts, after all. People are idiots. People are idiots as a result of years of government nanny-ism.

I guess the bottom line for me is, if you take the risk, and get stuck, you are on your own, and the government should not use this as yet another excuse to criminalize idiots. The governor should go on TV and instruct people to not be idiots, and leave it at that.

Mindmeld. Precisely this.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    No, libertarian values do not put others in danger. Irresponsible behavior puts others in danger.

My libertarian values don't change my opinion of this behavior. It affects the manner in which I think it ought to be addressed.

And government force is not the way to address irresponsible behavior. If it was, then I'd also have to support drug and alcohol prohibitions, gun control and other things of that nature. Things that punish people not for causing harm to another, but for doing or possessing things that might cause harm to another.

So all precautionary governance is off the table until an actual tragedy occurs? Is that the best way to handle a city with 1 million people and limited resources? In the above stroke scenario, you would sue the person blocking the the ambulance, correct? So then, since government isn't the avenue to address irresponsible behavior, what entity does? Also, not to be bossy, but you skipped the first question. I contend that it doesn't run counter to libertarian values if you aren't an anarchist. Ensuring a smooth running society in times of natural disasters, protecting those who otherwise can't protect themselves, is a legitimate function of government.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    How are these people supposed to get home from work without violating the martial law?

Most businesses let people leave early. The roads will be congested into the evening. No one will be arrested and stuck in jail for a year trying to get home from work. And, it isn't martial law.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I don't know who gets the final say on libertarian values, but I would include 'the right to travel' if my petulant vote counts.

I have no issue if the governor strongly recommended that people stay home. But making it an arrestable offense to pull out of your driveway onto any road in the state - snow or no snow? By way of executive order?

Top Bottom