• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    Here's the repsonse from Eugene Volokh, noted professor of law at UCLA and quite a voice for libertarians.

The Volokh Conspiracy » Police Searching for Bank Robber Stop All Cars at Intersection, Handcuff Drivers, Search Cars

Interesting read by Vlolkh. Question: Could it be argued that if one is armed, it is reasonable to believe that one is presently dangerous as well, even though the one is legally armed? Think of how we are conditioned by the warning signage all around us.

"Danger, high voltage" "Danger, propane storage here" "Danger, Calcium Chloride", etc...

It would seem that the mindset is that if something has the potential to affect in a negative or harmful way, it is reasonable to believe it presents a danger(presently dangerous). If that is the accepted mindset, one does not have to be armed to have the potential to affect in a negative or harmful way and presumed dangerous.

This seems to be the perspective of those that would make a MWAG call or favor cc over oc as to not upset the masses. It would also explain many of the negative interactions between LE and civilians. In this case, all at that intersection had the potential to be dangerous and therefore were presumed dangerous until proven otherwise.

Someone please tell me this is not the case and that we are not hopelessly bereft of our rights and personal freedoms...

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I find this issue troubling, but I'm not sure exactly why.
    Let's police are notified by a "reliable source" that a bank robbery is in progress, and the criminal's sex, race or any other descriptors are unknown. Upon police arrival, 19 persons exit the doors. Police cannot confirm the crime unless they enter the bank. Are police justified in detaining those persons?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    A mother states that that her daughter was kidnapped. She heard her screams, and a vehicle's tires screeching down the road. Mother exits her home sees the vehicle's tail lights (that all she saw) and that it has stopped at a stop light with several other cars. As other cars get in line, she loses sight of the vehicle's tail lights. An officer happens to be at the intersection. Is he justified in detaining the entire group of cars?

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I find this issue troubling, but I'm not sure exactly why.
    Let's police are notified by a "reliable source" that a bank robbery is in progress, and the criminal's sex, race or any other descriptors are unknown. Upon police arrival, 19 persons exit the doors. Police cannot confirm the crime unless they enter the bank. Are police justified in detaining those persons?

A mother states that that her daughter was kidnapped. She heard her screams, and a vehicle's tires screeching down the road. Mother exits her home sees the vehicle's tail lights (that all she saw) and that it has stopped at a stop light with several other cars. As other cars get in line, she loses sight of the vehicle's tail lights. An officer happens to be at the intersection. Is he justified in detaining the entire group of cars?

No and no.

Fair enough.

I don't even have that much of a problem with breif detention to stop a REAL criminal like a kidnapper but a bank thief stealing insured government money??? That IS criminal.

The problem here started with a mass detention, unfortunately through case law and federal statutes it was perfectly legal for the LEOs to detain these people and even to ask/order them out of their vehicles.

The violations started with handcuffing these people. The sheep evidently consented to the searches but we do not really know that for sure.

We also do not know if they captured the right guy! 1 out of 19 vehicles seems like a likely percentage to discover a legally armed man, last I checked it was legal to carry loaded handguns in CO. Doubt we will hear how this really turns out.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011

OK I'll play.

If it's my daughter, normally, hell yea, but she is a teenage girl so some days I'd slam the trunk closed myself. Yours, well I don't know her so I really can't say.

So we are weighing our rights not to be detained and searched, a very temporary problem, versus a child's right NOT to be kidnapped, raped, and murdered, a potentially very permanent problem? All based on a crime that might or might not have occurred? Not a fun game to play.

I know, I know, those who give up liberty for security bla bla bla, it's a slippery slope, bla bla, but a kidnapped child is not the same as a property crime.

If you say no, and you're the cop who knew my kidnapped child was in one of those 19 cars sitting at that stoplight, and you let them all drive by, I'm comin lookin for you and I'm gonna go all Liam Nesson on ya.:D

The real question is does the "greater good" ever trump our individual rights? And who gets to define that greater good?

The officers who decided to detain those 19 people in search of the bank robbers made a decision, good for them, it's a rare ability in the world today. We can debate if it was the correct decision, most will say no. The great thing is that those 19 people have recourse if they believe that the decision was not a reasonable one. And that is what separates us from apes.:twocents:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I don't even have that much of a problem with breif detention to stop a REAL criminal like a kidnapper but a bank thief stealing insured government money??? That IS criminal.

The problem here started with a mass detention, unfortunately through case law and federal statutes it was perfectly legal for the LEOs to detain these people and even to ask/order them out of their vehicles.

The violations started with handcuffing these people.
    The sheep evidently consented to the searches but we do not really know that for sure.

We also do not know if they captured the right guy! 1 out of 19 vehicles seems like a likely percentage to discover a legally armed man, last I checked it was legal to carry loaded handguns in CO. Doubt we will hear how this really turns out.

That was what rubbed me wrong also....

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Kutnupe, to answer your scenarios, I don't think many of us would have a problem with asking for voluntary compliance, or by them using detective skills to obtain Probable Cause, and then proceeding with legitimate searches and detentions.

Searches and detentions before meeting that minimum standard are simply unacceptable.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Kutnupe, to answer your scenarios, I don't think many of us would have a problem with asking for voluntary compliance, or by them using detective skills to obtain Probable Cause, and then proceeding with legitimate searches and detentions.

Searches and detentions before meeting that minimum standard are simply unacceptable.

I agree. Do not point your guns at my chest and maybe I will help you out if I can. Guns pointed at me means doors locked, me silent and asking for a lawyer

Top Bottom