Marty Brown Memorial Invitational -- Nov. 16-17, 2019 (Camp Atterbury, IN)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I have butterflies! 2 days, Camp Atterbury, shooting out to 400yds possibly 500yds, good company, backdrop only a military base can provide (FA 50 cal, Warthog strafing runs, artillery fire...) what else could you want in a weekend?

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Day two getting ready to start. LWRC complete upper womb by INGO’s hammerd13 Huzzah and top score for the day to INgO’s rosejm. The rest of us seeking redemption today and more cookies, swag and prizes.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Hammer Time!

Dropped 2 (again :bowdown:), to pass along BOTH the RRA build kit & the Highscore trophy to hammerd13
    Had his **** wired on right all weekend long.

Don't let him play it down, it takes a pile of skill to clean up this way.
    He'll hit every target downrange, right where it counts.

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    It was a pleasure, and honor, to participate with everyone this weekend for this worthy cause. Weather was really comfortable to boot! We had an excellent bunch of squared-away riflemen...I learned a TON from many of you - much appreciated.

A special thank you to all the volunteers and the countless hours you contributed to make this happen. I know that some good will definitely come out of all your efforts!!

I'll proudly display the high-score trophy, until next year's event. Make sure you bring your A-game in 2020 though, 'cause I'm kind of fond of UL's handy work ;-)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2015
    Lexington
    As always, I had a great time at Atterbury, and it was great seeing all you fine riflemen and riflewomen again. And we raised a heap of money to fight ovarian cancer research. Personally, my Atterbury curse was broken when a shot a 38 with my bolt gun on the last qualifier of the weekend (one miss on stage 2 and one round left in the chamber when time ran out). My past curse has consisted of rifles that, while running perfectly here in Kentucky, ALWAYS malfunctioned at Atterbury. No more! Enjoy the trophy, Hammer, you earned and deserve it!

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    As always, I had a great time at Atterbury, and it was great seeing all you fine riflemen and riflewomen again. And we raised a heap of money to fight ovarian cancer research. Personally, my Atterbury curse was broken when a shot a 38 with my bolt gun on the last qualifier of the weekend (one miss on stage 2 and one round left in the chamber when time ran out). My past curse has consisted of rifles that, while running perfectly here in Kentucky, ALWAYS malfunctioned at Atterbury. No more! Enjoy the trophy, Hammer, you earned and deserve it!

Will do UL! Thank you!!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2015
    Lexington
    Oh, and a big thanks to rosejm for allowing me to "share" his target, and thanks to Marc for lending me his tool kit! Kudos to Phil and Bruce for having the targets set up and ready to go for Saturday morning. I've seen it take a dozen and a half (or more) people a good hour to prepare these, and these two guys did it by themselves on Friday. Bravo Zulu!

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    LlWaIkY.jpg
    4UrlleE.jpg
    wLZOhMk.jpg

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Wow!

Great Job hammerd13!

Your my hero!

Thanks Brad! You would have really enjoyed this event and we would have loved having you there. I think everyone came away with more knowledge and we managed to raise a bit more money for a great cause. You should try to make it next year.

I'd been to Atterbury a couple of times prior, but staying overnight on base was a first for me. Great experience! I'm now shopping for Humvees!

gopher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Zionsville, IN
    Hammer: congratulations on some VERY fine shooting last weekend! You were literally unconscious accurate at all distances and extremely deserving of the Marty Brown Memorial Invitational trophy for 2019. Your score of 39-14V (correct me if I'm wrong on that score) surpasses the 39-9V shot by Hop in 2017 (https://www.reveresriders.org/shooting-sports/marty-brown-memorial/). The guys working the pits for your relay said the targets looked like swiss cheese with layers of pasters in the V-ring. In fact, the pit crews said ALL the targets were taking a severe beating in the black zone; that's a testament to the great group of marksmen (and women) that we had on the range!

For those that considered joining us at Camp Atterbury this year but didn't "pull the trigger" to buy a ticket, please consider coming in 2020. As others have alluded to, spending the weekend at Camp Atterbury is an experience that you won't soon forget. Camp Atterbury is an active military base and troops are constantly training there, often ON AN ADJACENT RANGE! While you are on base, you will hear and see rifle (M4), pistol (M9/M17), machine gun (M264/M2), artillery, mortar and strafing (A-10) practice. Often, all at the same time.

The EXACT range we shoot on is used by the NRA for their National High Power Rifle Championships. The ranges at Camp Atterbury are world-class facilities and you won't find their equivalent anywhere else in Indiana (or neighboring states either, unless it is another military installation). The ranges are set to receive some upgrades as a result of the NRA moving the National Smallbore Championships and the National Pistol Championships here in 2020 (https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2019...nra-national-marksmanship-competition-center/).

As Hammer mentioned, you can stay on-base in extremely affordable lodging ($38/night for a deluxe room with separate sitting area, kitchenette, bathroom with shower and bedroom). I have stayed in on-base lodging for the past two years and have no complaints AT ALL. Staying on-base definitely adds to the experience on being on a real military base.

In addition, there are two on-base options for food: the All Ranks Club (open to all military personnel and civilians; opens at 0500 for breakfast) and a Subway (which, unfortunately, doesn't open until 0800). I would particularly recommend that you go to the All Ranks Club to further immerse yourself in the "military experience". The food there is quite good, pretty inexpensive and you will be around numerous members of the military both in and out of uniform.

Personally, the Revere's Riders events at Camp Atterbury are the ones that I particularly look forward to each year. It is simply an experience that you won't get anywhere else.

We are in the process of scheduling our 2020 events; look for these to appear on the website after the holidays. You can always find the current list of upcoming events at Camp Atterbury here: https://www.reveresriders.org/range/camp-atterbury-joint-maneuver-training-center/

All of us here at Revere's Riders look forward to seeing everyone that attended the Marty Brown Memorial Invitational again in 2020. Let's all try to bring a few friends with us so more people can enjoy the experience of shooting out to 400 yards at an active military base! If your friends need a little "work" to get "up to speed" shooting out to 400 yards, have them attend a Revere's Riders Rifle 125 (https://www.reveresriders.org/events/category/rifle-125/) beforehand. That will get them acquainted with the Revere's Riders safety procedures as well as the Revere's Riders Rifle Qualification Test. No promises, but we will attempt to host a Rifle 262 (https://www.reveresriders.org/events/category/rifle-262/) in 2020 as well so folks can get additional rifle marksmanship training at known distance.

Last edited:

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Congratulations Mr Hammer! You were certainly shooting lights out all weekend. I was pulling the target adjacent to yours on Saturday. I kept thinking to myself, "This shooter HAS to be using a rest or bi-pod ... he just has to be."

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Congratulations Mr Hammer! You were certainly shooting lights out all weekend. I was pulling the target adjacent to yours on Saturday. I kept thinking to myself, "This shooter HAS to be using a rest or bi-pod ... he just has to be."

Thank you Wild Deuce! It was great to shoot with you!

I, more often than not, shoot off a mat. By NOT using a mat...and taking advantage of that soft turf last weekend, I was able to sink my elbows, knees, and feet into the ground slightly. I felt more grounded/stable as a result.

That...and the fact that the wind was fairly tame (and more importantly consistent) made for great shooting conditions.

Last edited:

diveski11

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Congrats Brown on raising an amazing amount of funds and reaching several with this awareness message. My goal is to become a viable participant by next MBMI. If not, then maybe as a helper. It looks like it was a great weekend for all.

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    I thought I'd post a few pictures of the LWRCI upper, now that I've made it a complete rifle. LWRCI usually configures their lowers as ambidextrous...but I chose to not go that route. I'm right-handed and standard controls suit my training/tastes.

I was lucky enough to win this beauty (upper) on the first day of the invitational. LWRCI makes a fantastic product...the workmanship and innovation on this upper is as good or better than I've ever seen. I'd definitely check them out, if you're looking for an upper or complete rifle.

Specs:
    - LWRCI direct impingment upper - 16" barrel 1:7
    - CMT Tactical UHP15 Billet Multi. Cal. AR Lower Receiver
    - Geissele/ALG AR15/M4 Mil-Spec Lower Parts Kit (Less Trigger, Less Grip) LPK
    - Larue Tactical MBT-2S Straight Bow Trigger w/ 4.5 lb spring
    - PWS Enhanced Buffer Tube - MOD 2
    - H2 buffer with mil-spec buffer spring
    - Magpul CTR buttstock
    - Magpul MOE-K2+ pistol grip
    - Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24 scope
    - Bobro cantelivered scope mount
    - Blue Force Gear (Vickers) 2 point sling

wYDGqlnh.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

4veep7uh.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

PYBLQ7dh.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

gopher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Zionsville, IN
    I thought I'd post a few pictures of the LWRCI upper, now that I've made it a complete rifle. LWRCI usually configures their lowers as ambidextrous...but I chose to not go that route. I'm right-handed and standard controls suit my training/tastes.

I was lucky enough to win this beauty (upper) on the first day of the invitational. LWRCI makes a fantastic product...the workmanship and innovation on this upper is as good or better than I've ever seen. I'd definitely check them out, if you're looking for an upper or complete rifle.

Specs:
    - LWRCI direct impingment upper - 16" barrel 1:7
    - CMT Tactical UHP15 Billet Multi. Cal. AR Lower Receiver
    - Geissele/ALG AR15/M4 Mil-Spec Lower Parts Kit (Less Trigger, Less Grip) LPK
    - Larue Tactical MBT-2S Straight Bow Trigger w/ 4.5 lb spring
    - PWS Enhanced Buffer Tube - MOD 2
    - H2 buffer with mil-spec buffer spring
    - Magpul CTR buttstock
    - Magpul MOE-K2+ pistol grip
    - Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24 scope
    - Bobro cantelivered scope mount
    - Blue Force Gear (Vickers) 2 point sling

wYDGqlnh.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

4veep7uh.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

PYBLQ7dh.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Looks nice!

+1 on the Bobro mount as well. Those are damn nice scope rings.

Top Bottom