• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    2017 membership renewal info has been mailed to existing members of the Martinsville Sportsmans Conservation Club as of Nov. 5th, 2016. If any existing members have NOT gotten their renewal packet by Wed/Thurs this week...email our club email address immediately: sportsmansconservationclub@yahoo.com

Renewals must be returned with funds and forms BEFORE Christmas when we decide if we have enough non-renewing members to hold a New Year's Day rush for newbies. We will post that info here on INGO and on our club website. We had virtually 100% renewal for 2016 and did not offer any new member spots 1/1/16.

Don't lose your renewal papers or you will lose your spot. Renewal dues for a family are unchanged from the past 5 years. $100 annually

Roger for the Board

Hi Roger, hope you are well. Is it going to be another auction if you have some openings?

IndianaRog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Greg, as far as I know...we will NOT be holding another auction like we did Jan 1, 2015...that was a one off effort to help support local 4H shooting sports and they made out very well!!!

Depending on renewal rate in the next few weeks (renewals must be in our hands before Christmas)...we will make a call as to whether we hold a Jan 1 "gate wait" as done in the past few years for new applicants. We had virtually 100% renewal for 2016 and did not accept new members Jan 1, 2016.

We will post on our website and on this forum right after Christmas whether we'll hold a Jan 1 event and if so how many openings, so folks can gauge whether it's worth waiting for a spot.

Roger

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My father and I stopped by the Martinsville PO on Saturday dropping off our renewal. I'll need to double check and see if they have been cashed.

IndianaRog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Guys, just to set club renewal check clearing/cancellation expectations realistically.

Our membership man goes to the post office 1-2 times a week in Nov/Dec. picking up 50-100 renewals/checks each time. As he lives well outside of town, he only makes deposits to the bank when he gets 100+ to justify the trip. Every year I get panicked emails saying a check was mailed a few days earlier...did we receive it as it has not been cashed yet. We've never lost one on the receipt/deposit end, but it can take a couple of weeks for a check to show up as "cancelled" in your account.

Just get them in ASAP because we make our cutoff for receipt of renewals the last day the post office is open before Christmas which this year is Sat. Dec. 24th.

After we tally up renewals received at that point, we decide if there are enough non-renewals to justify a New Year's day gate rush. We will post on this forum AND our club website as to whether we will have a 2017 New Year's day admission process for new membership and how many spots will be available.

Roger for the Board

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I gave up checks a few years back when it was determined that this was one of the one or two I wrote each year. I send money orders certified mail. My confirmation is that the card continues to let me in the gate. :)

IndianaRog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Unfortunately for those wanting to join the Martinsville Sportsman's Conservation Club in 2017, for the second year now we had virtually all our existing 2016 members renew for 2017.

We will NOT be accepting any new applications on Jan 1 as has been done for a few years in the past.

Roger for the Board

Local Man

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2016
    Indy Southside
    Too bad for potential new members such as myself. If only I had gotten there a few hours earlier about five years ago. Luckily, I know a few members and am able to visit yearly. It is a wonderful place to shoot!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    As a casual observer who lives too far away to consider membership, why is your membership capped? Do you have too many people trying to use the range if you enroll more members?

Razer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2013
    South Central Indiana
    As a casual observer who lives too far away to consider membership, why is your membership capped? Do you have too many people trying to use the range if you enroll more members?

I was a member here a few years back and I have no idea why it is so darn hard to get back in. When I was using the range the last year I was a member I only saw anyone else there at all three times. Literally no one there usually, totally empty and alone shooting. When someone was there it was only one car with one or two people, if you wanted to shoot alone you just went to the next range.

Was nice and peaceful I suppose, but they could double membership and have no problems handling it. They don't want to, that's really the only reason they need I guess. Oddly run place overall, but I did like it and the location. I will never again get to shoot there, but at least I have the memories!

IndianaRog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Our club is private...we have capped our membership at 500 families (not individuals, but husband, wife and children under 18 in a household)...so potentially more shooters than 500 would imply. For many years our membership stood at around 250 families and was not capped...just netted out at that number of it's own accord and we took members throughout the year.

About 10 years ago we drastically increased our range offerings from ONE short, 60 yard clearing in the woods to our present 3 pistol ranges, a 100 yard rifle range, a shotgun/clays area and in late 2013 we added a 300 + yard range with covered shooting shelter. Last year we further developed the 300 yard range with 100 and 200 yard mini berms and steel targets within. We added new shooting houses, new "furniture" in those houses, increased parking and a heated bathroom with hot and cold running water and flush toilet. An automatic, electronically carded gate makes access easy and foolproof.

This year we have TWO more, larger pistol ranges under construction and hopefully ready for use in spring 2017.

About 6 years ago shooters began to take notice of our club and we instituted a one day/January 1 new member "rush" of sorts for however many openings were created by non-renewing members, but by Jan 1, 2016 and upcoming Jan 1, 2017 we cancelled any plans to take new members because virtually all existing members renewed for the following year.

We have held annual membership at $100/year for at least 5 years now and demonstrated the worth of a membership via a charity auction held Jan 1, 2015 for 10 extra spots. All were auctioned off in less than 30 minutes with the highest bid of $1800, average $1500. Except for normal membership fees, we donated most of this money to support local 4H shooting sports.

Over the last 10 years we have increased the allowable member ceiling 3 or 4 times, adding 50-100 additional memberships in a given year to see how things worked out. Last thing we want is overcrowding. We have found 500 to be just about right providing sufficient revenue to run the club and more importantly, folks can always come out and find a lane to shoot...even on holiday weekends.

So....long story to a short question...but we find our 500 family limit works well for us and we have no plans to expand it further.

Roger for the Board

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Thank you for the thorough response! It sounds like a great place.

Our club is private...we have capped our membership at 500 families (not individuals, but husband, wife and children under 18 in a household)...so potentially more shooters than 500 would imply. For many years our membership stood at around 250 families and was not capped...just netted out at that number of it's own accord and we took members throughout the year.

About 10 years ago we drastically increased our range offerings from ONE short, 60 yard clearing in the woods to our present 3 pistol ranges, a 100 yard rifle range, a shotgun/clays area and in late 2013 we added a 300 + yard range with covered shooting shelter. Last year we further developed the 300 yard range with 100 and 200 yard mini berms and steel targets within. We added new shooting houses, new "furniture" in those houses, increased parking and a heated bathroom with hot and cold running water and flush toilet. An automatic, electronically carded gate makes access easy and foolproof.

This year we have TWO more, larger pistol ranges under construction and hopefully ready for use in spring 2017.

About 6 years ago shooters began to take notice of our club and we instituted a one day/January 1 new member "rush" of sorts for however many openings were created by non-renewing members, but by Jan 1, 2016 and upcoming Jan 1, 2017 we cancelled any plans to take new members because virtually all existing members renewed for the following year.

We have held annual membership at $100/year for at least 5 years now and demonstrated the worth of a membership via a charity auction held Jan 1, 2015 for 10 extra spots. All were auctioned off in less than 30 minutes with the highest bid of $1800, average $1500. Except for normal membership fees, we donated most of this money to support local 4H shooting sports.

Over the last 10 years we have increased the allowable member ceiling 3 or 4 times, adding 50-100 additional memberships in a given year to see how things worked out. Last thing we want is overcrowding. We have found 500 to be just about right providing sufficient revenue to run the club and more importantly, folks can always come out and find a lane to shoot...even on holiday weekends.

So....long story to a short question...but we find our 500 family limit works well for us and we have no plans to expand it further.

Roger for the Board

Wheezy50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Morgan County
    I was lucky enough to get in several years back. I mailed my application in on Dec 31st and it took a few days to fill up back then. I can say for sure that over the past 5-6 years the number of shooters at the range at any given time has gone up noticeably. It isn't to the point of "crowded" but busier. I know those wanting to join don't agree, but i hope the numbers stay the same. Current members are obviously using the club more than in years past and it seems that it could easily become crowded with more new memberships added.

I'm looking forward to seeing the new pistol range! I have only been able to make it down to shoot one time in the past several months, didn't go past the front rifle range so I haven't even seen the site.

Wheezy50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Morgan County
    Since this is kind of the "official" MSCC thread, i have a question for IndianaRog or anyone else on the board:

Is there any chance of the bowling pin matches coming back?? I think they stopped happening because of a lack of interest several years back. It would seem possible that with the current popularity of the club, maybe more newer members would be interested in shooting. I know I personally couldn't make it to every single one, but I'd make it a point to come a few times per summer.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    It's that time of year isn't it? You know, when the-I-want-in-but-they-won't-let-me-join crowd shows up. I, too, would like to join MSCC primarily because of the way they run it.

:yesway: from a non-member.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    I got in on one of the last of the New Year's Eve "camp outs" a few years ago. Time well spent!

Camping out New Years Eve to wait in line to get a membership at a Shooting Range.. That might be a considered a bit overboard.

--- Unless you doing it at the Best Range in the sovereign State of Indiana

I am green with envy

Top Bottom