• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Does anyone have experience with marlin rifles. I used one this past deer season and I fell in love with it. I’ve seen cool “space cowboy” builds with metal hand rails. Who’s got one they wouldn’t mind sharing a picture of

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Word is Ruger bought the rights for Marlin out of the Remington failure. It would seem they are planning on making a run at Henry...

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    JM marlins are great. More recent marlins are good. Some of the finishing touches have lost a step. I'm interested to see what Ruger does with the line.
    I have a JM 357 1894c. It was the first firearm I ever owned, gifted by my late aunt. Still an amazing shooter. I also have a newer 336 in 30-30. Shoots fine, but the action and finish are no where near the JM stamped.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    JM marlins are great. More recent marlins are good. Some of the finishing touches have lost a step. I'm interested to see what Ruger does with the line.
    I have a JM 357 1894c. It was the first firearm I ever owned, gifted by my late aunt. Still an amazing shooter. I also have a newer 336 in 30-30. Shoots fine, but the action and finish are no where near the JM stamped.

I've had many late mfg Marlins, 336's and 1894's that I thought were much nicer than JM's. I think much like older Colts that Marlin rifles are now going to be over romanticized into something they never were. They were always just a working man's rifle made for the masses, as of 2008 they had made over 30 million of them.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have a 336SC in .35 Remington from my dad. It has the two-thirds length tube. It's old(1953) and very nice. Based on handling newer ones, for me, they are not over romanticized. It has great walnut wood on them, smooth action and it is sans the cross bolt safety.

I would love to load up some rounds with 158 grain .357 rounds loaded down some just to shoot for fun.

Ithaca45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2014
    United States
    I have an 1894 in 44, 336 in 35 Rem., 1895 in 45/70, and 57M in 22 Mag. The newest one was made in 2006 so all are JM models. I like them all and I do hope Ruger carries on the tradition.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I have seen the tactical lever action rifles. Not a fan. I do like the trapper versions. I do like the Wild West co pilot.
    Been collecting lever actions for many years. My collection is small but well picked.
    like others I am a marlinaholic but there are others that are fine examples of lever actions.

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    My 1894 CST (.357) is a fun suppressed plinker.

[FONT=&amp]
    5CeEQXX.jpg
    [/FONT]

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I have seen the tactical lever action rifles. Not a fan. I do like the trapper versions. I do like the Wild West co pilot.
    Been collecting lever actions for many years. My collection is small but well picked.
    like others I am a marlinaholic but there are others that are fine examples of lever actions.

What's a trapper version look like?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    .Trapper versions normally have 16.25 inch barrels and straight stocks. Short rifles a trapper might have carried in the past along with a trapper basket .
    I also prefer straight buttstock models to pistol grip more a look than function. Big loops not so much as some are much to large but a loop big enough for large glove on one would be a nice add. The loop on yamadog35’s is about perfect size and chuck conners one from the rifleman is to big.
    everyone has something they like for whatever reason they please. Want to tactical out a lever have at it. Just please don’t cut up and tactical out a true pre 1964 win 92 or a waffle top Marin 336. Pm me first and I am sure we can work out something nice to customize out and save the classics non m loc railed with lasers and Bluetooth speakers attached.

Wa22ioR

Unapologetically American
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I have wanted a Marlin 1895SBL, but prices have really skyrocketed 2.5-3x their original cost. Looks like I will just have to wait to fulfill my desires for a Jurassic Park slayer. Hopefully Ruger keeps the model around and does some good work with the brand.

Top Bottom