• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Have 22 Marlin i got as a little boy , my first gun octagon barrel 1776 /1976 had a coin looking badge on the receiver but i carried it so much as a kid it wore off. now looks like a gold coin. It is a tack drive.

Horsetrader

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2021
    Northern indiana
    You better hang on to it, I regret selling all my old 22s . Look up the price of your gun, you might be shocked if it’s what I think it is. Had an old 39a that I wish I still had. Post a picture of it if you want, should be proud of it.

witdog2020

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Muncie
    I’ve had a 336 30/30 for years. I’ve never fired it. I have 2 Marlin Model 25s, one is the 22Mag. I just recently started buying some more Marlin levers. I have an old 39A I love to shoot. I just purchased a 45/70. Then I needed another so I bought a .410. These Lever guns are addicting! I want a .35 Rem to match my 30/30 and like to find another .22. Beautiful guns. This is the .410, it’s newer but you don’t see many. 2A9C59B9-4878-4ECD-828C-567C1FFEAC1C.jpeg

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I kind of collect Marlins of any kind. I had more but a few years ago I got stupid and sold a bunch to fund a custom muzzloader. No longer have the M/L and am trying to re-build my collection again. I was at my LGS yesterday and he had a Marlin Goose Gun model 55 in pristine condition in case anyone does not know the Marlin Goose 55 is a 12 gauge bolt action with 3 round detachable magazine. It has a factory 36 inch barrel. Original ones like it have become collectible in the last few years. Marlin also made a Marlin Super Goose 10 gauge. Anyway...here is a picture of two of my Marlin lever actions.
    006.JPG

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    There are 8 or 15 in the house. .45-70 Gov, .45 Colt, .32 H&R, .25-20, and .22. I like them over the bad black rifles. If I an find it when there is money in my pocket a .44-40 will be in the mix. I like the .45-70 and .25-20 best. The .45-70 just because but the .25-20 is big enough for deer and makes a great yote, tree rat, and rabbit gun.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I've got a couple. Ok, a couple couples..... This one was my uncle's. Made in 48.

Attachments

• IMG_20210128_174131959.jpg
      IMG_20210128_174131959.jpg
      5.4 MB · Views: 8
    • IMG_20210128_174247155.jpg
      IMG_20210128_174247155.jpg
      1.7 MB · Views: 8

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Marlin 336 in 30-30.
    Not the nicest stock or the smoothest action but it works. Sent the barrel off to get custom threaded to a guy in Texas. Attached in this pic is my SilcencerCo Hybrid.
    Still just on the edge of where I'd shoot it without ear pro, but much quieter and much less recoil.
    ikb6L2a.jpg

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Great lever guns, but I ended up selling some of my collection to friends as the old Microgroove rifeling never worked well with cast bullets. That said I still hunt with 44 caliber jacketed ones, so for most folks it's not an issue.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield

I found this on cast bullets​

W.R.Buchanan

Chamfering the Chamber Mouth on your Marlin 1894 rifle.​

Many people experience poor feeding with lead boolits in the Marlin 1894 series of guns. Lots of people promote only using Round Nose Flat Point boolits to get around this. However the real performance from these pistol calibers is in using Semi Wadcutters like Lyman .429421 or 429244 or clones. As we all know these boolits were designed by Keith and Thompson for hunting but give superior all around accuracy in both Revolvers and Rifles. They will go clean thru just about anything in the US and similar sized game anywhere else. IMHO they are the best boolits for these cartridges there is.

There are about 8-10 different versions of these boolits from 215 gr (in .44 cal) to over 260 gr. with various HPs and Gas Checks, etc..44 cal SWC moulds are available from Lee Lyman RCBS, and all the custom mould makers my personal favorite being the excellent moulds by Mihec.

The biggest problem in trying to use these boolits in Marlin Leverguns is the fact that the chamber mouth is left sharp. When the Cartridge Lifter pins the new round against the top of the receiver and the bolt pushes it forward towards the chamber, the sharp edge of the chamber mouth digs into the boolit and stops it.. This is especially true with SWC's as they have a nice little step to catch on the Chamber Mouth.

I first experienced this in 2004 with my 1894 CB in .44 caliber. I wanted to use some LBT 250 gr. Wide Flat Nose Boolits I got from Beartooth Bullets but the Meplat was so wide that the chamber mouth gouged into it and stopped every round from going in the hole.

I had a real good look at what was going on and decided to break that sharp edge. On my gun I really wanted a Radius but had no way to do it without getting a special cutter made, so I used a 6 flute Severance Countersink on an extension and turned it by hand until I had enough chamfer.(.040-.050.) It took about 5 minutes to get the chamfer large enough as the barrel material is pretty soft.. I then smoothed out the edges of the chamfer with 400 grit W or D sandpaper and the result is in the pic below which I have posted here no less than 50 times!

My gun will cycle any .44 Magnum or Special cartridge, with any boolit I choose to use, as fast as you can run the lever. With no sharp edge to dig into the boolit the cartridge just slips right into the chamber. It feeds RN style boolits just as fast and there is no lead shaving to affect accuracy.

The Extractor Groove on these cartridges is .060 in width. Thus that area of the case is not supported in any way by the chamber. Also inside the case the extractor groove is actually in the sold base of the case so it doesn't need to be supported in any event..

This is not hard to do, and it works great, and is completely safe, and I hope the Mods will make this a Sticky so I don't have to post the picture and explanation 50 more times.

That's all there is to it.

Good luck

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails
    Attached Thumbnails[IMG alt="Click image for larger version.

Name: 100464929.JPG
    Views: 159
    Size: 204.3 KB
    ID: 241765"]http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=241765&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1557961932[/IMG]
    [IMG alt="Click image for larger version.

Name: 47139.JPG
    Views: 190
    Size: 111.4 KB
    ID: 241764"]http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=241764&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1403159378[/IMG]

"It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I was watching a Marlin 1894 on Gunbroker and put a bid in but noticed they updated the description to say it had a bad carrier, a quick search found that's not an easily obtained part. It turned out that I didn't have to worry, it ended up selling for almost 850.00, for a broken gun lol.

cb46184

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    May 10, 2016
    New Whiteland
    I've had Marlins in the past...336c in .35 rem, 99c .22 semi-auto ...and they were decent rifles. Back in the '70's a buddy of mine let me shoot is 39a. It was the proverbial "tack-driver" and I fell in love (with the rifle, not by buddy) ;-) In 1983 my wife bought me a brand spankin new 39a as "wedding" gift. I know .22's can be finicky with ammo so I tried many different brands. No matter what ammo I used or how hard I tried, I could not get it to shoot better than about 3" groups (or patterns?) at 50 yds from a rest. I called Marlin and described the problem. I admitted that I was not the world's greatest marksman but felt this rifle had a serious accuracy problem. The Marlin customer service rep actually told me they test the rifles on a 25yd range and if they group 3" they are good to go. I don't know if he was telling me the truth or not, but that is what he told me. He said I could send it to them and they might replace the barrel but they couldn't guarantee it would be any better. I responded, "No thank-you. I'll sell it to someone I don't know and I'll never own another Marlin." I have kept that promise.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    Back in the '70's a buddy of mine let me shoot is 39a. It was the proverbial "tack-driver" and I fell in love (with the rifle, not by buddy
    :):
    I've had Marlins in the past...336c in .35 rem, 99c .22 semi-auto ...and they were decent rifles. Back in the '70's a buddy of mine let me shoot is 39a. It was the proverbial "tack-driver" and I fell in love (with the rifle, not by buddy) ;-) In 1983 my wife bought me a brand spankin new 39a as "wedding" gift. I know .22's can be finicky with ammo so I tried many different brands. No matter what ammo I used or how hard I tried, I could not get it to shoot better than about 3" groups (or patterns?) at 50 yds from a rest. I called Marlin and described the problem. I admitted that I was not the world's greatest marksman but felt this rifle had a serious accuracy problem. The Marlin customer service rep actually told me they test the rifles on a 25yd range and if they group 3" they are good to go. I don't know if he was telling me the truth or not, but that is what he told me. He said I could send it to them and they might replace the barrel but they couldn't guarantee it would be any better. I responded, "No thank-you. I'll sell it to someone I don't know and I'll never own another Marlin." I have kept that promise.
    that sucks. I love the 60 and 39a but I did have a broken ejector on a new-ish 39a that Marlin told me was my fault/problem :dunno:

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    that sucks. I love the 60 and 39a but I did have a broken ejector on a new-ish 39a that Marlin told me was my fault/problem :dunno:

My 39a is an old one that I found used at the LGS a couple of years ago. I'd been looking for one for years, but never found one in my budget. He had $399 on it...it was a little marred up but I couldn't help myself and took it home. When I got a chance to try it out, I discovered it had a broken ejector spring. Apparently it's not an uncommon problem. Those things are kinda hard to find these days, so I used the broken one as a template and made a new one out of an old jigsaw blade. It's worked fine so far, and the gun really is a tackdriver.

98cirrus

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Goshen
    Got a model 39A made in the early 60's. It is magically smooth on the action work. I once heard that the wood to metal finish on Marlins was exceptional because of a special fitting technique. Not certain that they still do this. But apparently they mill the stock fractionally smaller than necessary for the metal parts. Then heat up the metal before inserting it into the room temperature wood. The heated metal seats into the stock and burns or shrinks off the chaff, and fractions of wood that are proud, so the fit is nearly perfect every time and at a fraction of the cost of hand work. There may be someone out there that can add some more info. That story I heard was a long time back.

Top Bottom