• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • westside bengal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Can anyone tell me about this youth gun? Good or bad?

Do I consider this for the Grandkids or just buy a modern Savage Rascal or something else?

What's it worth in like new condition?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Great choice.

It was the two most important requirements for a kid's gun:

1. Light weight.

2. Short LOP.

Savage Cub is a great choice as well as the CZ452 Scout.

I have no idea about the price. I bought one for the nephew back in 2009.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I bought one for my kids about 26 years ago. I've keep it for the grandkids. Decent trigger, extremely accurate, and a short stock. As the kids grow, you can put a slip-on recoil pad on it to increase the length of pull.
    I'd pay $150 for one in good shape.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I've handles the Savage Rascal, and FWIW, I think the Savage Cub is a better rifle. We have one at the club for the youth to shoot and it's quite accurate. And the Henry Mini Bolt is better than the Rascal too, from my memory.

I've not seen the Marlin you speak of, but from photos is probably the equal of the Savage Cub.

All are better than the Crickett.

The Rascal and the Mini Bolt are similar in size to the Crickett - good for the smallest shooters. The Cub is a little bigger, and from what i can tell from pictures is about the same size as the Marlin.

Catfish33

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Clifford, In
    Another vote for the Marlin here. My old Marlin 25 still shoots some super tight groups. Love the Marlin micro-groove barrels.

Last edited:

benjaminlee06

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Downtown Indy
    but... the plastic is inexpensive... walnut is nice, and if that is what you want, pay for it. but the plastic has value. my plastic marlin 795 is an excellent shooter, for very little cash. cost/benefit when it comes to personal preference.

westside bengal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Whats about parts or getting the rifle worked on? They quit making the 15yn in the mid 1990's. I dont know how much changed on the newer 915yn?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I bought my son a Savage Rascal last Christmas. I didn't handle the Marlin before buying, but the Rascal is head and shoulders above the Cricket in terms of feel. Rascal came with the accu-trigger, plastic stock in your choice of colors, peep sights, and tapped for a scope. The safety works independently of the bolt, a nice touch for new shooters so they can eject a live round without working the safety.

Its accurate, its inexpensive, and the trigger is fantastic. Is it better than the Marlin? No idea, I've never handled one, but I will say both my son and I are very happy with the Rascal.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    For economy, and sheer utilitarian use, I vote for the Rossi youth matched-pair.

It is two guns in one, for less than the price of two. They are break-action single shot rifle/shotgun combo's, available in several different caliber combo's.
    I have one in .22Lr/20ga. They are also available in .22Lr/12ga or .22Lr/.410.

They are surprisingly accurate, relatively light-weight with a short length of pull, and the .22Lr barrel comes drilled and tapped for a scope.
    I have only seen them in real wood stocks, but I'm sure they are probably also available in a synthetic model.

I bought mine some 5+ years ago when I saw them on-sale for $99+tax.
    Now I guess they're running $150+, but that's still a great price for two guns.

If money is not a concern, look at a new Savage model 42, (the model 24 reborn.)

Chippp1961

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    Well all i can say is that I am a fan of the Marlin 15y/915yn.
    They might be a little heavy for the beginning shooter,but I have started my son,2 grandsons, 2 granddaughters, and will 1 more granddaughter on them.
    Purchased each their own.
    I Even found 3 of the discontinued Pink camo for the girls, (what a search that was) .
    I am a believer in singe shot as a learning gun and like the fact the Marlin cocks with the bolt. The triggers are good and they are accurate. They are bigger than the Chipmunk and that can be an issue but I have always started the kids out shooting off a bag and this is a gun they can grow into and get some years of service out of.
    Chip

Top Bottom