• ...and so much more!
  • NomadS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    New Albany, IN
    The Marlin/Appleseed LTR
    Appleseed is pleased to announce a partnership with Marlin Firearms in the production of the Marlin/Appleseed LTR.

The rifle will come out of the box ready to go. Some of the special features include

Marlin 795 Rifle
    Installed Tech Sights model TSM 200
    Nylon loop sling
    Swivels
    Spare rifle magazine
    Left side of Receiver laser Etched with Appleseed LTR
    Until the 4th of July, 2013 a certificate for a FREE Appleseed weekend for one person

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    There will be an official announcement tomorrow in the Appleseed section.

It is really, really awesome news and believe it or not, AJ was in on it - what started at a late night bar party ended up at the private Marlin range months after that special night at the NRA convention...

Like I said, there will be an official release dealeo tomorrow and everyone who wants one had better get in line!

(....right behind me....)

LOL!

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    Can i speak up and be the voice of reason here for a second? I have yet to go through an apple seed weekend but will probly do one this summer. I agree with all the things they teach and think it is a good thing. But can someone please tell me why CHARGING DOUBLE for the rifle with "apple seed" on the side and a $15 sling is acceptable? I have a 795 and love it...but no way in this world would i pay double for it. I hate to say it but you all are nuts if you buy one.

The normal 795 is $150 msrp
    The "Appleseed" version is $300 msrp
    On top of that it wasnt uncommon to find the 795 on sale for $100.
    The insanity has crept beyond the uneducated and overtaken the formerly informed to the point that they think it is now ok to price gouge.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Can i speak up and be the voice of reason here for a second? I have yet to go through an apple seed weekend but will probly do one this summer. I agree with all the things they teach and think it is a good thing. But can someone please tell me why CHARGING DOUBLE for the rifle with "apple seed" on the side and a $15 sling is acceptable? I have a 795 and love it...but no way in this world would i pay double for it. I hate to say it but you all are nuts if you buy one.

The normal 795 is $150 msrp
    The "Appleseed" version is $300 msrp
    On top of that it wasnt uncommon to find the 795 on sale for $100.
    The insanity has crept beyond the uneducated and overtaken the formerly informed to the point that they think it is now ok to price gouge.

Add $70.00 for the Tech Sights
    Add $$ for installation
    Add $70.00 for the Appleseed fee
    In addition to that, it's a special run that requires extra tooling and labor.
    Possibly a collectors piece in the future.

There is very little "Gouging" going on here IMHO.

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    Add $70.00 for the Tech Sights
    Add $$ for installation
    Add $70.00 for the Appleseed fee
    In addition to that, it's a special run that requires extra tooling and labor.
    Possibly a collectors piece in the future.

There is very little "Gouging" going on here IMHO.

I understand what you are saying .....but from what i read the Appleseed fee thrown in is only for a short initial period. And i agree Tech Sights are nice...but from what I have been told about Appleseed it almost goes against the "train everyone on any rifle" mentality. I will however disagree with the extra tooling. There is NOTHING special about that rifle other than the laser etching (or however its done and thats cheap to do) and the Tech Sights (which we already discussed). I could see them charging $50-75 more because of the extra stuff (trust me im sure they get a heck of a deal on the Tech Sights and sling...they are not paying retail prices) but not the prices they are asking. To me....no way would i pay it. Ill buy my own 795 and make it a better rifle for the same money

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    chuddly,

1. They did have to re-tool. The barrel is different as there is no rear sight on it. Turns out the rear sight divit is used in the mounting process of the barrel and required a huge change on their part to make it work. This was no small change and produces a rifle unlike any you can make yourself.

2. Davidsons runs higher by 20% in ther msrp estimates than usual - note their 795 base is $181 not $150. Take that difference back and $270 is a closer MSRp to compare to.

3. Tech-sights makes little margin and so the $181 + $70 gets you to $250, the sling gets & mounts get you to $270 or so, and that means you are $30 over for an initial run of a special run rifle. Frankly, compared to the $500 boy scout 10/22 - this is cheap.

4. The gift cert is an add in that adds value but is more a bonus and thanks than anything. It is a $70 value though.

5.. Yes Appleseed wants you to "run what you brung", and Riflemen scores have been done with just about anything under the sun, but no one is saying you have to buy this rifle to do it. This is just a great opportunity born of hard volunteer work, a kind rifle manufacturer, and an instructional program that has gone from 4 guys around a kitchen table in 2006 to over 1000 shoots a year in five years. That is a big deal

6. If these sell like hot cakes the price will likely be a $ change downward - we would love to see the MSRP down near $2250-250 but get that Davidsons & Marlin are taking a risk on a fickle gun market that will put $2000 on an AR, but that will walk over a $25 difference in price in a 22 rifle sale.

Hope that helps,
    Techres

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I understand what you are saying .....but from what i read the Appleseed fee thrown in is only for a short initial period. And i agree Tech Sights are nice...but from what I have been told about Appleseed it almost goes against the "train everyone on any rifle" mentality. I will however disagree with the extra tooling. There is NOTHING special about that rifle other than the laser etching (or however its done and thats cheap to do) and the Tech Sights (which we already discussed). I could see them charging $50-75 more because of the extra stuff (trust me im sure they get a heck of a deal on the Tech Sights and sling...they are not paying retail prices) but not the prices they are asking. To me....no way would i pay it. Ill buy my own 795 and make it a better rifle for the same money

The Garand is really the rifle platform that all the Appleseed instruction is based as it hails mostly from WWII and Korea era Marine Corps manuals. Tech sights do great job of bringing those adjustments into the mix.

We may be capable of building our own LTR's but, and I say this from experience at many 'Seeds, there are many who are just now entering the gun culture and have not developed the skills nor the knowledge to do so.

Appleseeds are more about waking people up and getting them involved in the process. Shooting and instruction is the tool to help with that not the goal.

As far as the extra cost. It's nothing for us to do a few mods. We don't have to devote warehouse space for special parts, we don't need to purchase new machines, we dont have to train new or existing personell on new tasks, have we don't have to take the financial risk that someone else will or won't purchase our product. Marlin, however does. If these become popular, I'm sure prices will lower somewhat, but I'm completely OK with what they've done. A business cannot survive producing a product that costs them more to make that they can sell it for.

Pitmaster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    I'm on the list for personally. I also have 3 other people who are planning to attend an Appleseed this year put themselves on the waiting list. Those 3 are interested in purchasing 5.

The first run is limited to see how it sells. I strongly suspect the first run is going to sell out pretty quickly. As Appleseed continues to grow and spread its message I suspect the first run to increase in value as a collectible. One of my will be saved for my niece when she turns 18. She's 9 now and has the kid's 10/22.

Personally, I don't mind spending money supporting companies and things I believe in. I want this product to succeed and I'll put my money where my mouth is. Besides, this LTR Marlin is cheaper and just as good as a Ruger 10/22.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Did anyone from Appleseed try to get something like this done with Ruger? A Ruger 10/22-based official Appleseed LTR would be hugely popular. I think maybe Marlin one-upped ol' Ruger on this one.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Did anyone from Appleseed try to get something like this done with Ruger? A Ruger 10/22-based official Appleseed LTR would be hugely popular. I think maybe Marlin one-upped ol' Ruger on this one.

You bet we did. That has not worked out.... yet. Riflemen persevere though!

And for the record, Marlin did one-up Ruger and the 795 is one heck of a rifle to boot!

Off to make the formal announcement.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I do not find the package to be out of line. Add in what it takes to assemble one. include the shipping for each thing you buy a piece at a time. Especially if your schedule is busy, there is a value in the convienence of opening the box and going straight to the range.

I assembled a little Savage rifle for my grandson to use at an appleseed. The rifle was on sale for $160, then I bought extra mags at $24 each. I bought a williams rear sight with target knobs for $90. I bought an adjustable Merit iris for the rear peep at $60. I bought a high rise lyman front globe sight for $40. I bought sling studs and swivels for $20, as well as the sling for another $20. That looks like $414 to me. Granted the Merit rear iris is a luxury, not necessity, so take off $60 and I still have $354 in a rifle that actually shoots very well but will not have much market value to sell.

I wish the Appleseed Marlin was available before I spent the money.

Any special edition costs a little more. And the price stays for the future. Take a look at the old 1960's Marlin 81's. Twenty years later they are cheap and plentiful at pawn shops. Collectors are paying serious money for un molested "Boy Scouts of America" versions with the brass badge on the stock.

Look at how plentiful Winchester model 94's were. But each of the special editions have long term value. If a collector wants all the versions of the John Wayne (and any other) commemoratives, it is serious money.

I see the new rifle package as a value, both in the present as well as the long term.

anifong

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Marshall County, IN
    Love this! I have a 10/22 and tech sights but haven't yet tried to put them on - I'm a little apprehensive at swapping the front sight. I'm sure it's not a big deal, but if someone can screw it up, I can. I want a rifle for my son to use too and was looking at the Marlin 795 due to price, not having to install swivels for sling, ease of sight swap. This is exactly what I was looking for, with none of the hassle of swapping parts. Thank you!

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    For crying out loud!!!

2m461js.jpg

I'm going to need testimony from ATM, DaveD, and YellowhouseJake. ETA: and BillofRights.

And an IP attorney.

hack, or visionary? You make the call.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom