• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • -ski-

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    I'm seriously considering purchasing a Marlin 1894, and am looking for opinions about the .44 mag vs. the .45 Colt. It would be primarily for deer hunting. I may be able to get access to hunt some farm land in southern Indiana (open cornfields) and I have access to wooded land in northern Wisconsin.

I have a friend who reloads the .45 LC and is willing to help me out. If I went with the .44 mag, I'd likely be buying commercial ammo. With the reloaded .45 I could do some custom loads, but the .45 LC 1894s appear to be made mostly for the cowboy action shooters and I don't need fancy octagonal barrels all that. The .45 LC version is a couple hundred more (e.g. roughly $800 vs. $550 for the .45 mag.) It's also tougher to find a .45 LC on the used market because they haven't been around that long.

I'm also wondering about experiences with options for alternative sights on these, what people have had done to improve over the factory stuff. I'm ambivalent about putting a scope on it, but would consider it if I can't get my groups together at 125 yards with sights.

Let me know what you think.

-ski-

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    You can't go wrong with either one. I have the 44mag rifle. Picked it up two years ago and absolutely love it. Went 44mag because I have others in that caliber. Not sure if Hornady makes leverevolution ammo for 45LC yet.

I know at 50 yds I can overlap 3 and 5 shot groups. Easily capable of taking down deer. All done with factory sights. If you want anymore info, just ask.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    marlin 45 vs 44

I went with the 44 mag. I can get factory ammo that rocks and 45 lc ammo is pressure limited and would require a handload to equal and exceed the 44 mag.

The 44 mag is 1 in 38 twist and the 45 is tighter.

I would buy a used and not abused marlin online. I prices locally are to high, Lots of them around, locally they demand a premium still with the deer hunters wanting them.

I can find you one if you need. PM me and I will send you a couple of links from my internet travels and check gunbroker for yourself.
    Marlin 1894 45 Long Colt Cowboy Carbine Ltd : Lever Action at GunBroker.com

Marlin 1894 44 carbine : Lever Action at GunBroker.com

I would just get in touch with the seller of the finals one and buy it. It is pre safety and sweet. It will last forever and hold it value and it seems nobody wants it.

Last edited:

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Don't discount the Puma rifles. I too love marlins but the pumas seem popular and well thought of. There is a 16" bbl .45 LC version used at the Evansville Gande Mountain for $299.

I sold both my .45 LC ltd ed marlin and a stainless .44 because I never shot them and rarely get to hunt. Still have a .357 which would work for deer and plan to pick up an H&R in .44.

Rey B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Did you notice that the pictures in the 44 Mag auction are of a 22mag? Belay my last! I looked again at the barrel close-up and it says 44. As Emily Lutella used to say...Never mind.

Last edited:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Did you notice that the pictures in the 44 Mag auction are of a 22mag? Belay my last! I looked again at the barrel close-up and it says 44. As Emily Lutella used to say...Never mind.

If that was an 1894M marlin I would have already bid on it. They are not rare but I do not have one.

The Puma's are Ok clones of a model 92 Winchester just never saw one that I likes enough to buy but the 454 casual one I though long about. I shot one and it would not group well.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    The 44 mag will be as you note, cheaper to buy for the same basic rifle. Ammo will also be cheaper , more easily available for the 44. 44 mag brass is heavier/ more durable usually . 45 C is a cool rd but if hunting is on the agenda I'd go with the 44 mag.

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    Both are great rounds and if losded properly the .45 is capable of everything the .44 is capable of. Bullet selection is slightly more limited on the .45 but check the price of a box of .45lc compared to .44mag... They are really proud of the .45....

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I'd go with the .44 mag also, just because of ammo availability, ability to use .44 special. Also, if you get a revolver in the same caliber, there are a lot more options in that area, be it a Ruger Blackhawk, or some shorter barrel daily carry. I don't think that .45 LC would give you that option, but I'm weird that way.

Me and the wife both have Marlin 1894 in .44 mag. She got her first deer last year with it. I really enjoy shooting mine also. Brownell's websight had an article a few months back on sight mods for them, allowing more visible sights in the dark woods of Maine.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I am another one for the 44 just because of the ammo choices. Both a great deer calibers but the 44 is my pick. Plus you have the option of shooting 44 specials.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I would say, for a hunting gun, pick the .44 as it's the more common caliber. Even if you reload(or in case, a friend does). If you're gonna hunt with it, you'll want something that shoots a caliber that's easier to find if, for whatever reason, you need to buy ammo from a store.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Either way, if you keep it very long, you're probably gonna want to reload. Keep an eye out for the dies, etc. Your reloading friend can probably help you out if you have the dies. I went with the .44, but mostly because of ballistics. I, too, have read that a properly loaded .45 will compete with a .44 mag, but just decided to cut to the chase and find a .44 mag that I liked. Just today picked up a Taurus Raging Bull revolver to go with it. (Thanks JBob77), Another reason I went with the .44. Better selection of revolvers suitable for hunting. And with common calibers in rifle and revolver both, I'm set.

-ski-

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Thanks for the good feedback here. I particularly appreciated the grouping info you gave, whiskeytangofoxtrot. I had a chance to handle a 44 mag 1894 this weekend and was more pleased with the factory sights than I thought I would be. Thanks for the article reference, Dr. Falken. I may have to check that out, especially if I decide to mod the sights. The ammo recommendations from indyjoe and paperboy are quite helpful. I had heard and read about the issues in 44 mag with heavier bullets; it's good to know that there are options in the 240 to 250 grain range. I can live with that. So, all in all, I'm leaning toward the 44 mag. It's also good to hear that people really like the gun and it handles well in the field.

If you all have any more ammo recs, please pass them along. I usually buy a lot of kinds to see what works best when I just start out. Thanks again.

-ski-

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I would go 44 as well simply because of the ammo availability. Noting would suck worse than going on a hunting trip only to realize you left your ammo at home and no one in the area has hunting loads for the 45 Colt. You can find 240 grain 44 mag just about anywhere you can buy ammo.

Also if you decide to add a 44 handgun later to go with it you will have far more choices. Pick up a set of loading dies and see if your freind will teach you to load on his machine...later you can pick up your own.

One more bit of thought, a peep sight can make you a better shooter for fast targets. I am not sure if Marlin still drills and taps for them but if not it isn't expensive to have done.

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    the guy I bought my M&P 40C from had a brand new Marlin 1894 SS in 44 mag and they are nice! Smooth action and a nice looking American Walnut stock for 800 or right under if I remember right. I was gonna get it but the wife was with me and said no deal. It also came with a lifetime replacement warranty from his distributor which was a huge +. I think theyre extremely nice lever guns myself. I would go with the 44 if it were me.Ammo is cheaper and easier to find!

Top Bottom