• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Most breeds of cattle put their ears back before they kick. Not Angus, they just haul off and kick you.

While I’m here :shady:

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    Size, and to a lesser extent, breed (which sets the typical size of a dog) DO matter here to some degree when a dog is a confirmed threat. I'm not talking about aggressiveness, but scenarios where the dog has decided to attack. If I was walking down a street and I got attacked by a Chihuahua, that's when I start kicking. If a Pitbull, Rottweiler, German Shepherd, etc. attacked me in the same scenario, shots would more than likely be fired. I understand and agree with everyone saying breed doesn't dictate aggressiveness and temperament, but I would rather get attacked by a Chihuahua than any of those larger breeds.

Unfortunately this is yet another polarizing subject, as I've seen both sides of the spectrum. On one hand you have individuals who will paint with a broad brush to the point a suggesting exterminating an entire breed. On the other side I've literally seen Pitbull owners blame mauling victims (like what happened in this story) for getting mauled and putting a negative stigma over the breed.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    There aren't many with the jaw power or the "will to kill" like a pit.

Don't see many stories like this about Collies.
    I seem to remember seeing a statistic saying that Golden Retrievers were the most frequent biters (which surprised me). But the "will to kill" is an urban myth.

I'd recommend watching "Pitbulls and Parolees" on Animal Planet. It's on every day from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.. They dispel a lot of the myths about the breed.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'm sorry but this is an asinine argument.

I put an ar15 in my lawn it's not going off on its own and killing someone.

These dogs are.

I agree it's how theyre raised but you don't see assholes raising packs of attack chihuahuas.

It's ALWAYS pit bull breeds.

Negligent gun owners hurt and seriously injure more people than negligent dog owners by orders of magnitude. Willfully malovent him owners even more. In terms of human loss, not even close.

I've owned dogs and I've killed dogs mine and others. Sometimes you get a bad one. It's your responsibility as an owner to deal with that. Either socialize it properly or put it down. If I have to kill your dog, it's your fault.

I've been bitten by a golden retriever, a pit bull, a Doberman, an Akita, probably others. Only the Akita left long term scars. I'd have killed it if I was armed, but I was about 15 at the time. I've killed 3 pits, including one of mine . Aged out, couldn't get around any more. Another attacked me while i was jogging. The other was foaming at the mouth and animal control asked that i destroy it because they couldn't catch it and it was very aggressive.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Unpossible. Once a pit bull bites you, their jaw locks and you can never get them off of you. So you're telling me that you're walking around with a pit bull still attached to you? ;)

I used a useless outdated revolver and put a .38 in his chest. Honestly would have been tougher if I'd been unarmed. Owned by a **** head burglar who moved it with his grandma in the neighborhood and he wanted a confrontation after. He apparently didn't know how useless revolvers were and stayed on his side of the street running his suck. Got popped for burglary a few weeks later, never saw him again.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Thankfully tragedy like this is rare, a pet kills caretaker. It was a nightmare inducing amount of blood in the garage. 1 or more of those dogs were unimaginably brutal. Poor kid had to witness it.
    It is very sad. I'm actually kind of surprised that, as a deputy, she wasn't armed. Not victim blaming, just surprised.

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    I've been bitten by a golden retriever, a pit bull, a Doberman, an Akita, probably others.
    I got bit by a duck at the park when I was 5.:)
    In all seriousness though, you sound like my uncle when he worked Airport security. He saw his fair share of dogbites when dealing with the local inner city folk loitering around in restricted areas.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I got bit by a duck at the park when I was 5.:)
    In all seriousness though, you sound like my uncle when he worked Airport security. He saw his fair share of dogbites when dealing with the local inner city folk loitering around in restricted areas.
    I've only been bitten once, by a Chow/Shepherd mix. Still have the scar on my leg. It was chained up, and I thought I was giving it a wide enough berth, but apparently I miscalculated. Just nailed me with no warning.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    Apparently me too.
    I would not agree with the owners being garbage but.....the dogs do have a propensity towards violence. While a Beagle or Lab can certainly bite someone 95% of fatal attacks are Pit bulls. BTW I own a GSD So I'm not against big dogs that hold there own but there is something in that breed/bloodlines that just causes them to snap. And when they do its a crime scene. I would never want my Grandchildren around one.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I would not agree with the owners being garbage but.....the dogs do have a propensity towards violence. While a Beagle or Lab can certainly bite someone 95% of fatal attacks are Pit bulls. BTW I own a GSD So I'm not against big dogs that hold there own but there is something in that breed/bloodlines that just causes them to snap. And when they do its a crime scene. I would never want my Grandchildren around one.
    They used to say the same about GSDs. And Dobermans. And Rottweilers. And now it's Pit Bulls. If I were to adopt a bully mix, I would know if it were okay around kids and have a pretty good read on it before I adopted it. They were once thought of as "nanny dogs" (think Petey from the Little Rascals).

Our current dog is a Chow/Huskie mix that we adopted right before Christmas last year. She's good with kids. :)

1683846827849.jpeg

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Also called the ”nanny dog”
    LOL...
    In the middle 1800's,
    During this period, the image of pit
    bulls changed in America. People
    grew to love pit bulls, especially
    children. A myth started known as
    the “Nanny dog” myth where pit
    bulls would nanny children. This is,
    of course, false. But it illustrates how people loved the pit bull terrier.

Top Bottom