Marathon runner, carrying gun, arrested...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    if he informed the officer he was carrying, then why was he charges with failure to inform, and since when is a threat grounds for mental check and a few days at the loony bin, I also wonder if he had a permit/license, what was the nature of the threat......there's to much loose info here. Another example of excellent reporting...

jerryv

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Evansville
    I agree that there's not enough information available to make reasonable deductions about what happened .. but the irrational behavior (stalking and odd comments) coupled with the weapon was enough to get him the standard court-ordered 3-day inpatient psychiatric evaluation.

Dirtdart504

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Bargersville, IN
    if he informed the officer he was carrying, then why was he charges with failure to inform, and since when is a threat grounds for mental check and a few days at the loony bin, I also wonder if he had a permit/license, what was the nature of the threat......there's to much loose info here. Another example of excellent reporting...
    I think the officer asked first. That is a stupid law. Also, what was he doing running in a coat?

KJW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Lamb's Crossing
    From the way I read/heard, the police were talking to him for about 10 min. then they asked him if he had a weapon because of the odd comments he'd made. Regardless of what you think of "must inform" laws, that doesn't remotely pass for immediately or promptly informing. Also, I infer that this occurred before the start of the race. I'm not happy because most runners and gunners I know are the best kind of people; the kind that we need more of in society. This isn't the kind of story we need.

KJW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Lamb's Crossing
    As an aside, at least in Indiana, law enforcement can only fill out an "immediate detention" which is a 24 hr hold for psychiatric evaluation. A 72 hr "emergency detention" requires a physician to complete a form after making an initial assessment.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    From the way I read/heard, the police were talking to him for about 10 min. then they asked him if he had a weapon because of the odd comments he'd made. Regardless of what you think of "must inform" laws, that doesn't remotely pass for immediately or promptly informing. Also, I infer that this occurred before the start of the race. I'm not happy because most runners and gunners I know are the best kind of people; the kind that we need more of in society. This isn't the kind of story we need.

That's one of the problems with the must inform laws, when pulled over it's pretty well understood you inform when the Officer comes to the window, but what about other interactions? If there is a cop behind you at Starbucks talking to you do you blurt out "I have a gun"? Most would say no because you are not in the process of being detained. Too much ambiguity.

mx866

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2013
    If you strike up a convo with a cop there is no reason... If the cop is talking to you because you are suspected of a crime you must and should inform them immediately. I know I have been let go on a few speeding tickets because the cop was awfully happy that i let him know and kept my hands visible.

Top Bottom