• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    It's called being aware of your surroundings and use of good judgment. I know how easy it is to get a gun and license in Indiana. I CCW to be prepared against BG's and legal gun toters who might turn bad. I Don't assume everyone who has a license has good intentions. If in fact he had his gun out than that is not normal behavior. If I'm walking down the street and see someone with their gun in hand I'm not thinking, "hey leave that guy alone he's legal". I'm back-tracking with hand on my gun just in case.
    I would be seriously questioning that individuals judgement at that point, I believe at that point it is brandishing a firearm? What ever that is supposed to mean. But I would back peddle at that point as well, I am all for someone open carrying or conceal carrying, or slinging a weapon over their back however, I don't think it would be wise to be carrying a hand gun in your hand down the street. As supposedly this is what transpired.. but who knows. B

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Well, we had a woman assaulted on the Purdue campus in the GRANT Street Parking garage at 1:30 PM on Sunday. She was 25 feet from one of those blue Call boxes.

I thought those call boxes PREVENTED that!!!!

The call boxes can be used for self defense but you have to be strong enough to tear them from their mountings and bash your attacker over the head with it.

Other than that, they are only good for calling help AFTER you have been attacked. But only if the box is in good working order which is ANYTHING but certain!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    Both Burris and the Academy are WELL far enough from Bracken Library to be outside the school zone limits. I made that walk enough times to know...

I would really like to hear from someone with some legal background on what rights one would have in that situation... Could I, if under a campus lockdown, simply leave and refuse to be detained?

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    I'm glad nothing happened, but if anything did happen at least you could keep your credits.
    what good are credits, if i get shot or killed by some douche bag and can't defend myself. Even I did carry to college with me. The moment I pull my gun to defend myself or anyone else for that matter from some nut wack job hell bent on killing someone.

If I didn't get killed in the firefight. I would be immediately expelled, but I probably wouldn't have to worry about getting expelled. I would need to worry more about the police As the police would most likely pump my body with 70 rounds of what ever they are carrying on campus these days. Even if I had laid my weapon on the ground. before they arrived.

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Both Burris and the Academy are WELL far enough from Bracken Library to be outside the school zone limits. I made that walk enough times to know...

I would really like to hear from someone with some legal background on what rights one would have in that situation... Could I, if under a campus lockdown, simply leave and refuse to be detained?

On a college campus. If you are over age of 18, The University has no right to detain you in a class room for lock down procedure. That would be false imprisonment. Unless that person detaining you is a police officer, and you have committed a crime, suspected of committing a crime

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    what good are credits, if i get shot or killed by some douche bag and can't defend myself. Even I did carry to college with me. The moment I pull my gun to defend myself or anyone else for that matter from some nut wack job hell bent on killing someone.

If I didn't get killed in the firefight. I would be immediately expelled, but I probably wouldn't have to worry about getting expelled. I would need to worry more about the police As the police would most likely pump my body with 70 rounds of what ever they are carrying on campus these days. Even if I had laid my weapon on the ground. before they arrived.

Yeah:rolleyes:

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    But it's completely unclear what laws were being broken. In Indiana firearm carry on a college campus is legal provided the individual complied with applicable laws like having a LTCH.

I always thought the 'schools' part of the law included a college campus.
    So, this leads to a couple of questions (concerning the parents of a student):

1) Can you enter the college buildings, dorms, library, food courts, etc.?

2) Nothings off limits and you go about your normal day?

(if you want a particular college... use IU Bloomington)

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    1) Can you enter the college buildings, dorms, library, food courts, etc.?
    Absolutely - none of those are exempted by state law. That isn't to say they wouldn't ask you to leave and/or call the police.

2) Nothings off limits and you go about your normal day?
    You're 100% legal to carry in a college campus - if you're a student there it's likely against their rules but their rules are not the law.

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Absolutely - none of those are exempted by state law. That isn't to say they wouldn't ask you to leave and/or call the police.

You're 100% legal to carry in a college campus - if you're a student there it's likely against their rules but their rules are not the law.

Well, sh*t, I've locked it in the car everytime I've been there... error on the side of safety (in one way and not on the other).

That will be changing, effective now!

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Well, sh*t, I've locked it in the car everytime I've been there... error on the side of safety (in one way and not on the other).

That will be changing, effective now!

Locking in the car at a school that is exempted and illegal to carry at is illegal as well (HS, elementary, daycare, read the code for rest). Can't be on their property.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Locking in the car at a school that is exempted and illegal to carry at is illegal as well (HS, elementary, daycare, read the code for rest). Can't be on their property.
    None of this applies to colleges or universities.

The only exception I could see is if there was a daycare at the college, and then you would be prohibited from entering that building.

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013

Yes, I was aware of that...

I wasn't exactly sure if a college fell under the same law. So I obviously wasn't going to carry (on person). I'd have to do something pretty stupid for my vehicle to get searched. Since I don't do drugs, drink alcohol, get into fights, etc... it's going to be a pretty safe bet for me to lock it in the vehicle.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    This is prolly what they saw

bagads05.jpg

Top Bottom