• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Loose dogs was one of the reason I started carrying on a regular basis. When my son was 4-5 years old, we would go on walks in our neighborhood and frequently run afoul of loose dogs. They was several close calls. Back then it was my trusty 92 FS loaded with Cor Bons; luckily I never needed to use it.

dead2rights

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Indiana
    That pretty much sums it up, except that I did not have my hand on my gun, and if there is a next time, I will. I'm not looking for a reason to shoot ANY critter (four legged, or two). But if I think I'm about to be mauled...I will, in fact, "bite back".

True story, my uncle has a blue tick hound, mean ol'cuss. One day I tried to give him a milkbone as a peace offering and he bit me. I screamed and pushed him on his side and bit him in the ribcage as hard as I could. He yelped and ran in the backyard. The next day I went over there and he was as friendly as could be. We've been best friends ever since! :D

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I was walking my little Scottie one day and a golden retriever came bounding across the street, of course not fenced or on a leash, and nearly killed my little guy. Owner was drunk and blabbered about how his dog had never done anything like that before...:xmad:

After that I carried my Glock .40 on walks. Past the offending dog's house, since my dog and I were entitled to use public sidewalks. I would have shot without any hesitation. I suppose a jury would have thought I was provoking the dog by exercising my liberty.

This still infuriates me to this day.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    That pretty much sums it up, except that I did not have my hand on my gun, and if there is a next time, I will. I'm not looking for a reason to shoot ANY critter (four legged, or two). But if I think I'm about to be mauled...I will, in fact, "bite back".

Ahh, gotcha.

I thought you meant next time you'd just start bustin' caps...That makes more sense.:):

It's a shame you can't just point the gun at the idiot owner instead of the dogs that don't know any better...It might give him a bit more sense of urgency getting over to his untrained dogs instead of just yelling "HERE.":rolleyes:

I know when my GSD pup's training was a work in progress, even though he was an innocent puppy, he could look intimidating to someone that doesn't know any better. During those times he'd be unleashed in the yard and decide to "investigate" strangers walking down the road; I'd be calm (not wanting to alarm the walkers) but I'd briskly walk towards where they were about to meet and repeat "he's a puppy, I promise he won't bite."

That happened probably two handfuls of times and every one of them were embarrassing...Although when it happened I didn't feel nearly as bad when the people clearly knew dogs (and that he was just a large puppy) because they would kneel down and pet him/let him lick them in the face.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I was walking my little Scottie one day and a golden retriever came bounding across the street, of course not fenced or on a leash, and nearly killed my little guy. Owner was drunk and blabbered about how his dog had never done anything like that before...:xmad:

After that I carried my Glock .40 on walks. Past the offending dog's house, since my dog and I were entitled to use public sidewalks. I would have shot without any hesitation. I suppose a jury would have thought I was provoking the dog by exercising my liberty.

This still infuriates me to this day.

Why didn't you cave in that dog's ribs with your foot? Hindsight is 20/20, but if my dog was being mauled by a bigger dog, I'd use any means necessary to help him.

BTW, when in doubt, go for the eyes.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Why didn't you cave in that dog's ribs with your foot? Hindsight is 20/20, but if my dog was being mauled by a bigger dog, I'd use any means necessary to help him.

BTW, when in doubt, go for the eyes.
    I was holding my little guy, who was squealing and bleeding. I just wanted to keep him out of harm's way. I can't honestly remember what else I did other than yell at the drunken fool to get his dog.

Dreadful situational awareness on my part.

While I don't normally OC, walking a dog I would without hesitation. Too many slob owners out there, in addition to strays.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I was holding my little guy, who was squealing and bleeding. I just wanted to keep him out of harm's way. I can't honestly remember what else I did other than yell at the drunken fool to get his dog.

Dreadful situational awareness on my part.

While I don't normally OC, walking a dog I would without hesitation. Too many slob owners out there, in addition to strays.

Oh, so you had him away from the dog. I read your last post wrong...I thought he was just getting mauled until the drunk came over.

Did the douche bag at least pay for damages?

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I thought you meant next time you'd just start bustin' caps...That makes more sense.:):

Nah. I didn't get the "danger" feeling from the dogs, as much as a "that guy is an idiot" feeling about the dude.
    BUT...
    They are animals..and thus, UNPREDICTABLE.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Oh, so you had him away from the dog. I read your last post wrong...I thought he was just getting mauled until the drunk came over.

Did the douche bag at least pay for damages?
    Yes, but I should have sued him (would have only got treble damages, vet bill was about $200).

Police actually came out and took a report, +1 to Lafayette PD.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Man waling his neighboor hood is met in the street by a dog and nearly bitten(contact was made but bite avoided), dog was on a long cable tethered to a tree and extended 6.5 ft into the street. Person, armed permit holder, continues walk home and decides to return to talk to home owner about shortening the dogs leash. All lights on, 2 cars in drive way and garage door up, Man rings door bell, knocks on door(dog approches, barking) but no answer.(there more) but as man tries to enter his vehicle to leave dog approches fast enough to be threat of attack. 2 shots fired. Man charged and convicted by jury of his "peers". D felony and A misdmeanor.

Back on the original topic... the guy should have gone home, stayed there and called the cops. Tell the cops that the neighbors dog is on a leash but the leash allows it to go in the street, not allowing people to use the sidewalk. The cops can then go to the house to inform the neighbors.

I hate to see a gun owner be convicted of a shooting, but he should have never gone back. He was already home. He had already removed himself from the threat. Why go back?

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    He does have a right to be on the sidewalk/street. However, after "contact" he should have reported it to the police. They will take reports of attacks on people seriously.

Maybe he thought it was more reasonable to talk to the owner instead of calling the police.

I still find it hard to believe he was prosecuted, let alone convicted, for this.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I'd let my neighbors' dogs bite me once a year if they'd keep the damned things from constantly barking the rest of the year.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Man waling his neighboor hood is met in the street by a dog and nearly bitten(contact was made but bite avoided), dog was on a long cable tethered to a tree and extended 6.5 ft into the street. Person, armed permit holder, continues walk home and decides to return to talk to home owner about shortening the dogs leash. All lights on, 2 cars in drive way and garage door up, Man rings door bell, knocks on door(dog approches, barking) but no answer.(there more) but as man tries to enter his vehicle to leave dog approches fast enough to be threat of attack. 2 shots fired. Man charged and convicted by jury of his "peers". D felony and A misdmeanor.

So let me get this straight... the man, knowing the dog was there and outside, decided to go back to the house where the dog lived and shoot him, in the owners driveway I might add, because the dog did his duty by protecting his household?

I could see the justifiable shooting of an aggressive dog not on a leash or out in the streets, but when you shoot someones dog while it's on their property I feel you should be held for murder. Yes, it may be a dog, but if that person is like me, that dog is very near and dear to them just as a child would be. Take it for what it is, but if someone were to come to my house and shoot my dog you'd better believe they'd be lying dead next to her.

It was not self defense when he showed up unwelcomed at the house. It would have been if he would have shot the dog on the street where it almost bit him. He chose to go back to the house where the dog was, after going back to his house to grab his gun, which implies his actions were premeditated. He knew what he was going to do the whole time.

bigg cheese

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    I'd let my neighbors' dogs bite me once a year if they'd keep the damned things from constantly barking the rest of the year.

Or keep their dogs leashed and not crapping in my yard.

Drove down my street last week and one of my neighbors smiles and waves at me as his leashless dog just took a dump in my yard.

Not gonna say my dog has never done it..... but.....

I'm sneakier:D

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville

Do you have a link to a news story - or other source of information?

Thanks.

Guy

Top Bottom