• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FWP9MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    Bluffton
    Maybe Que can come to Fort Wayne and do a Tex Grebner style interview with this guy.

Curious minds want to know if:
    A: The guy also said "I just F'in shot myself"
    B: Was he bad ass enough to empty his magazine and document his own self rescue

hokie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Fort Wayne? Freedom had plenty of FNX-9's in stock the last time I was there.

They drop the hammer pretty hard upon decocking, and the safety is off at the time. He probably didn't trust the pin block especially with the safety off to work so instead he pulled the trigger while holding the hammer back with his thumb, actually disengaging the pin block, and slipped.

Boom.

This is just my guess. I know I spent about 15 minutes at the range with mine without firing a single shot, just cocking the hammer and dropping it with the decocker downrange to get used to it :):

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    070.jpg

"I was cleaning it and it just went off..."

johnny718

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    i am actually the man this aricle is about.

i'm going to preface all this with the fact that i take 100% responsibility with what happened that night.

with that being said, most of here can agree the new media isn't very accurate. so here's what happened.

gun in question was a smith and wesson bodyguard 380. i had purchased it just a day or two prior to the incident. i had shot it earlier that day, but had not had a chance to clean it. i pulled it out of my holster and started the disassembly process (lock slide back, move lever), and then set it down on the counter while cooking dinner for myself and girlfriend. girlfriend says "oooh new toy" and proceeds to play with it while i'm cooking, unsupervised. i carry it condition 3, or empty chamber. she had to have racked the slide forward on the magazine while i wasn't looking, and set it back down. after the chicken was in the oven, i moved my attention back to the bodyguard to clean it from that day's shooting. i dropped the magazine, and while thinking that since i didn't carry with one in the pipe, and that i had already moved the takedown lever forward, and pulled the trigger to release the slide. yeas, very dumb to have not remembered to check again, or why was the slide forward vs back, but what happened happened. blew through my hand and into my leg, just missing the femoral artery.

lots of negligence happened here, but i'm not quite sure all of the flaming of "take his guns away" bull**** is necessary. i took the time to post this just to set the record straight, i guess. don't let your girlfriend touch your gun, and triple check every gun you handle. i'd imagine that most people that posts here have violated that "triple check for safety" rule at some point somewhere, and it only takes once. i use this experience to teach new gun owners, and some veterans too, that safety isn't a joke, so that someone can learn from my experience.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog

i'm going to preface all this with the fact that i take 100% responsibility with what happened that night.

with that being said, most of here can agree the new media isn't very accurate. so here's what happened.

gun in question was a smith and wesson bodyguard 380. i had purchased it just a day or two prior to the incident. i had shot it earlier that day, but had not had a chance to clean it. i pulled it out of my holster and started the disassembly process (lock slide back, move lever), and then set it down on the counter while cooking dinner for myself and girlfriend. girlfriend says "oooh new toy" and proceeds to play with it while i'm cooking, unsupervised. i carry it condition 3, or empty chamber. she had to have racked the slide forward on the magazine while i wasn't looking, and set it back down. after the chicken was in the oven, i moved my attention back to the bodyguard to clean it from that day's shooting. i dropped the magazine, and while thinking that since i didn't carry with one in the pipe, and that i had already moved the takedown lever forward, and pulled the trigger to release the slide. yeas, very dumb to have not remembered to check again, or why was the slide forward vs back, but what happened happened. blew through my hand and into my leg, just missing the femoral artery.

lots of negligence happened here, but i'm not quite sure all of the flaming of "take his guns away" bull**** is necessary. i took the time to post this just to set the record straight, i guess. don't let your girlfriend touch your gun, and triple check every gun you handle. i'd imagine that most people that posts here have violated that "triple check for safety" rule at some point somewhere, and it only takes once. i use this experience to teach new gun owners, and some veterans too, that safety isn't a joke, so that someone can learn from my experience.
    All you can do is own it. Thanks for sharing your story Johnny. How is everything healing up?

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies

Good man for stepping up and admitting to it. Thank you for explaining the circumstances better.

Your post lends credence to the theory that carrying with an empty chamber can lead to people taking for granted that the chamber is empty and end up having a negligent discharge.

One of the things that stick in my head every time I think about firearms safety is a deputy sheriff form down near the river by New Albany. We were talking about guns and he shows me an entrance and exit wound in his leg. He said "Do you know what kind of gun did that? It's the most dangerous kind of gun there is". I guessed "45?" and he replied, "Nope, it was an empty gun. I would have bet everything I owned that gun was empty. I dropped the mag, racked the slide, pulled the trigger and it went bang and blew a hole right through my leg". He made a big deal about how he was absolutely positive he dropped the mag before racking the slide, but it still went bang. He said that he makes it a point to tell everyone he talks guns with about his accident. I know it helped me.

Last edited:

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Good for you on taking the responsibility.
    I hope everything is healing/healed good. I know it was a close range shot, but I bet you can attest to the effectiveness of a .380 for all the nay sayers . I know I don't wanna get hit with even a .22.
    Not to pry to much but how far did it penetrate into your leg after it went through your hand? And have you changed your preferred method of carry?

Top Bottom