• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I am also a firm believer in pointing out what happened, that person attacked me, that was their weapon, point out wittnesses, I will sign a complaint. Then I want to have my lawyer present before saying anything else!
    You have been through a traumatic experience where you have probably experienced tunnel vision, selective hearing and a distorted sence of time and distance. It will probably take some time to sort out what happened so this is not the time to make any more comments to police. Police officers should understand this because most bargin for the right to delay any statement about an officer involved shooting for at least 24 hours.
    When you are still adrenaline pumped from the incident it will be easy to say things you will regret later. If you leave out details or get time and distances wrong and realise that later after you have had time to think. That can be taken by a LEO or prosecuter as "changing your story" when in reality you have just calmed down and have sorted out the forgotten details. This way your lawyer can start fresh on your case. That is if you get a real self defense attorney and not the guy that handles your real estate transactions. Jim.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Here's a news story that puts into perspective what the deceased was doing that night before his demise. Most of you in/around Indy probably already know this, but down here in the sticks I hadn't followed the story, that Murrell and 3-4 others were implicated (some on video) in 5 robberies and a murder just hours earlier that night:

Chris Beaty homicide: 2 more suspects charged with murder in 'Mr. Indianapolis' killing

Tyler Newby's self-defense claim is mired by what he said to police, or at least what was written in the report: basically, someone shoved him to the ground, someone was standing over him and he shot him, and it happened so fast it was just a reaction.

4-5 guys attack you without warning or provocation, throw you to the ground and then swarm around you while you're helpless on the ground, I think it's reasonable to fear that you're about to get severely stomped by numerous attackers and in a legit self-defense situation in fear of SBI or worse. And, then to run for your life when you hear someone yell, "shoot them white boys".

But that's not what he said... or what showed up in the reports of what he said... which is why the advice up thread is so valuable. Had he called 911 and said those 3-4 sentences, and that he had fled to safety but was turning himself in... his defense would be in a much better position today.

Best option was to never have been anywhere around such a ***** situation to begin with.

Top Bottom