Mama kitty gave us 4 little bundles of joy!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    Really need someone with hands on working knowledge of what must be done for them medical wise. What is a good idea in addition to the basics.
    Keep in mind that this is all hypothetical for SHTF scenarios.

Also include any links for supplies and suppliers.

Trying to give them the best care possible without selling a kidney.

Plan on having them fixed as well as mama now so will have to use a vet that's affordable in NWI area. However things like de-worming and some shots are DIY for many all over the country.

Please don't give a bunch of anecdotal mumbo jumbo from when you were a kid.

If you aren't qualified to share clear concise and detailed instruction please just move along.

It appears that most of the stuff on Google search fall into that type of category. Lots of information but really no real practical experience.

Wife and many friends are nursing experienced so oral meds and even shots should be fairly straight forward.

Thanks in advance.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Ummmmmm....

Not really sure what you're asking for but I suspect...

pizapcom13153408924871.jpg

If you want my opinion though, in a SHTF scenario, let the little buggers get fat on mice then use the fuzzy critters as an endless food supply. Cats multiply almost as fast as rabbits. Pretty tasty too from what they tell me down at the Chinese buffet. Target practice also comes to mind.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    Momma kitty will take care of most of the work for you. Make sure she is getting a good quality KITTEN food, as much as she wants, along with fresh water. She needs the extra protein and fat from the kitten food to keep her strength up.

3 way can be done as early as 6 weeks, I like to wait until 8 weeks. You should be able to find these at either a pet store or a local farm store (TSC, Big R, Rural K, etc) near you. They aren't hard to give and should come with instructions.

Worming is fairly easy, but you'll need to wait until they're XX weeks old, depends on the product. Liquids are easiest. You'll need to worm them 2x, 10 days apart. Worm momma kitty too while you're at it. I like Nemex brand but it's pricey.

As far as spay/neuter - no idea in your area. Ask wherever you pick up 3 way shots from if anywhere in the area offers low cost spay/neuter services.

At around 3-4 weeks you can begin offering dry food in conjuction to the milk they'll still be getting. I really like Royal Canin Baby Cat for this, it's a very small kibble size that's easy for them to chew up and swallow. You can also offer wet food if you normally do so (I don't). At 5-6 weeks they're fine on just dry food alone (some earlier).

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    How did the mommy come your way? If she was always a pet and hasn't had worms, there's no reason to expect the babies to have them. That said, tapeworms come from fleas, then there are some nasty round ones. I've eradicated various sorts of worms. Ringworm (not actually a worm at all) was an adventure.

Mommy should have most of the care hardwired in her brain, but if she's new to it, she may not be very good. I've lost a few that way, and bottle fed others myself. Just make sure she's well fed as mentioned above. There are often spay/neuter clinics held at pet stores and whatnot; student vets get experience, you get cheap surgery, and the spay/neuter orgs get to work their agenda. Girls are a lot more expensive than boys, so it could be worth looking into. It's important to do the boys, as they'll spray, which is really awful.

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    our mommy cat has had 2 litters. 1st had 4 of 4 survived with no intervention at all. As a matter of fact we didn't even know about them for several hours. the 2nd had 3/4 one fatality. only one runt of the litter(the girl) and they are all happy kitties. we kept a girl(the runt) & a boy. momma definitely takes care of them all by herself. if they are in the house, just put momma & babies into a box, once the kitties start moving around they will wander everywhere. definitely get the males fixed before they knock mommy up again.

Top Bottom