• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Fresh bluegill is the best followed close by crappie. Deep fry is the way to go with these pan fish. However, bluegill fillets sauteed in butter with onions fill the best omelet you have ever tasted when topped with Velveeta cheese. (Yeah, I know, bring on the laughs. I've heard it before. You're friggin' crazy. Fish omelet.:rolleyes:)

A killer walleye shore lunch can also be made at home;
    A fillet drizzled with olive oil on foil with onions and peppers, then drizzled with beer. Salt and pepper to taste. Close it up like a hobo dinner and put it to heat. (IMHO, butter is always better with fish, but doesn't necesarily go with the shore lunch theme.)

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    As stated, fresh is best.

You might try boiling it. I know it sounds disgusting, I avoided it for 4 annual trips to Canada where we eat mostly lake trout. The guys tried to convince me that it tasted like lobster but I didn't believe them. Then I finally gave in and tried a piece and it was awesome!!! We melt some butter to dip it in just like lobster and it is extremely mild and tastes wonderful. Much less fishy than when we fry it.

Buy some fresh white fish, cut it into 1"-2" pieces and boil it. Melt some butter to dip it in (may want a little salt on it also) and enjoy "poor man's lobster".

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    As stated, fresh is best.

You might try boiling it. I know it sounds disgusting, I avoided it for 4 annual trips to Canada where we eat mostly lake trout. The guys tried to convince me that it tasted like lobster but I didn't believe them. Then I finally gave in and tried a piece and it was awesome!!! We melt some butter to dip it in just like lobster and it is extremely mild and tastes wonderful. Much less fishy than when we fry it.

Buy some fresh white fish, cut it into 1"-2" pieces and boil it. Melt some butter to dip it in (may want a little salt on it also) and enjoy "poor man's lobster".

Crab Boil [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Zatarains-Crawfish-Shrimp-Crab-Boil/dp/B002U7FYI4]Zatarain's Crawfish, Shrimp and Crab Boil in a Bag - 3 oz: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food[/ame] is pretty killer with boiled fish also. A good cocktail sauce, ala shrimp cocktail, is an alternative with fish chunks.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Crab Boil Zatarain's Crawfish, Shrimp and Crab Boil in a Bag - 3 oz: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food is pretty killer with boiled fish also. A good cocktail sauce, ala shrimp cocktail, is an alternative with fish chunks.
    Amen. My old man loved it with small perch. Never tried boiled trout......

But the true poormans lobster is Monkfish and now I am pissed all over again about 56th street fish market being closed. It will be years before I am over it. They could get anything, including monkfish.

I now remember, I have a recipe for walleye that a departed friend always asked for me to make around the Holidays and she hated fish.

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    An update:

Last night we had orange roughy. I marinated it in milk, soy sauce and cajun seasoning. After that I grilled it in some aluminum foil...it turned out AWESOME. Like I said, I'm not a huge fan of fish, but it was GREAT!!! Ready to try some other species!

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    If you have to soak, coat, marinade, smoke, paint etc. than maybe fish is not for you.

That's a bit harsh. There are other reasons to eat fish besides liking the taste of fish. It's more healthy than some other meats. Catholics don't even consider fish to be meat, so they can eat it on Fridays. I'm sure there are more, but those two come to mind immediately.

Like I said, I'm not a huge fan of fish, but it was GREAT!!! Ready to try some other species!

See? If I didn't like something, but was kinda interested in expanding my horizons, this is the approach I would take. Find a way to make it more palatable at first, then keep trying new things until eventually I could start saying, "Yeah, I enjoy fish." See?

Not saying that people weren't being helpful — they were! I don't cook anything. But there are some delicious-sounding recipes in here! I was just hoping to remind folks to kinda check their attitudes :) I'm looking forward to "growing up" someday and starting to cook food!

copper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jun 20, 2009
    Shelby County
    Another recipe that we use for bluegill. Boil in Sprite just until it floats then let it cool off. Dip pieces in cocktail sauce. If you over boil the fish it will fall into tiny pieces.

ironjaw

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Indy Northeast
    I like to let my 'fresh' fish marinate in "garlic expressions". You can pick it up from Krogers or Marsh. I put it in alum foil salt and pepper, then stick it on a hot grill for about 5 mins, period. When i say hot I usually, depending on how much fish I'm cooking, I will only put about 7,8 coals in a pile and wait till they are red hot. Put my coals on the lowest setting, furthest away from the cooking platform. put my fish directly over it for 5 mins and its done IMHO.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    Do you not like your steak to taste "steaky", your beer to taste "beery" ? Fish is meant to and does taste like fish. Removing the lateral line on certain species helps take overly strong flavors out. Fresh fish is always the best. Even better if you catch it yourself and eat it the same day. If you have to soak, coat, marinade, smoke, paint etc. than maybe fish is not for you.

^^^^ What he said. Fish taste like fish. It's best fresh and cleaned by someone who has some experience. I also have never understood why folks want to make fish taste less "fishy." There are tons of fish out there and they all have their own flavors. Try as many as you can from a reputable source and go from there.

Reminds me of a thread I read earlier on a cooking forum. A member wanted to know how she could "learn" to like bleu cheese. The taste and smell grossed her out, but she "really wanted to like it." WTF!!!:dunno: Is liking bleu cheese the new "in" thing to do?.....I told her to stuff it into an olive and soak it in some Vodka:cool:

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    A really easy way to make a nice sauce for fish is to poach the fish in orange juice (about a half inch worth) then put the fish under a foil tent while you reduce (boil) the remaining orange juice in the pan until it is "sauce-like" (about 1/3 to 1/4 it's original amount). Pour over and enjoy! Yummy!

Sanguine Samurai

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Indiana
    Soak the fish meat in milk. Sounds funny right? But it works. That's what my mom used to do when my sister and I were really young and picky eaters. It doesn't remove all the flavor, but it takes the "edge" off.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    I'm not a big fan of fish. I would like to acquire a taste for it, but I can't get past the strong "fishy" taste. I've heard using milk will cut down on that taste. I've also heard fillets will be less fishy than an eviscerated fish...any recommendations?

Turn it into chicken???:dunno:

ggglobert9

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    Ft Wayne
    Here's one for you to try...Got a dishwasher? Take heavy duty foil...2 sheets placed together to give you a good pouch. Fold in half and place you fillets in the middle. Crimp the edges of the foil on the 2 sides, leaving the top open to make a pouch. Make sure you crimp well. I take fresh onion slices, lemon wedges, salt and pepper, and fresh smashed chopped garlic and throw in with a spoon full of real butter. Fold the top closed leaving some air in your newly formed industrial fish cooking pouch. Make sure one more time all surfaces are closed tightly. Set the pouch on the top shelf of your dishwasher. Make sure the washing arm is not touching the foil anywhere. Run on a normal cycle including drying. DO NOT put anything else in the dishwasher ie soap, rinse-aid etc. Usual run time is around 1-1/2 hours. Once started leave alone and wait till cycle complete. Great crowd pleaser and you can drink a few cold one's while waiting! If you try this you are one your own...I don't think you will be disappointed! Good luck!

deerslayer13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    indpls in
    I found soaking your fish in salt water for two to three hours will take some of the "fish" taste out. But if you don't like fish, maybe you should just stick with chicken.

Top Bottom