• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    I've scaled a couple of knives and would love to start doing gun grips, I would need a pattern or pair of originals to go off of, though. Heck, I'd even supply my first set for whatever you feel like paying (if you're not satisfied, free), and I've got some really nice cocobolo.

I'm the guy that made the scales for this ESEE. I have a fair amount of that cocobolo left (not a huge amount though).

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...new_custom_grips_for_my_esee.html#post1552219

I am in Canada, coming back on Friday. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Last edited:

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    custom grips

I make custom grips for 1911's some are shown in my album and in the hand gun section with the title of( elk antler grips) . I also set up at the lake county gun show.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I'd just like to get my hands on a pair of grips that were unfinished. Basically cut and drilled to fit a 1911 and i will do all the staining/design work on them.

hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    so how much raw wood is needed for you to work with?
    i have a couple of trees I am thinking about..
    have anyone you ever worked with hornbeam? does it make good grips?

If you're asking me, a piece big enough for the grip pattern, maybe 1 inch thick (that way if you would prefer thicker/thinner grips I have material to work with, plus it's thick enough for me to resaw with my table saw). Never worked with hornbeam, it doesn't appear to have a very distinctive grain, but it sounds like it might tool (if you want checkering, I'm guessing due to the color of the wood you probably just want smooth grips).

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    As above poster said 1"thick .The trickiest part is the hole spacing and counter boring to the right depth front &back of grip. You will end up with your wood about 1/4-5/16 thick for each panel

Top Bottom