• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SEMI-AK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    So I have a thumb mak90 nhm slant with holes for Underfolder...sitting in the safe..no Chinese Underfolder stocks to be found with hardware anywhere...long story short I realize I have a birch IWD Slant cut ak stock I forgot about from an old project... Shoul I hold out to return the rifle to a uf or cut the trunnions metal and cut the stock to fit....I got the rifle as a bday present a couple years ago from my dad....i basically have nothing in the rifle. I am needing someone to convince me not to do this...45 minutes and I would have a cool ak. I even have 922 parts....

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Check prices on altered and unaltered MAK 90s. That will tell you what to do. Once you start cutting it can never be what it once was.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    No I wouldn't go cutting on it either.
    Chinese folding stocks can be had but it may take some time to find one.
    A quicker and less costly alternative is a Romanian underfolder kit with hardware.
    That's what I did.
    I haven't looked lately but it wasn't long ago there were still some Combloc underfolder kits to be had.
    Apex gun parts and Colorado gun parts are but two places to look.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I've got a chicom underfolder for a project Im working on.

Sell me your NHM ;)

Really if you keep your eyes on gunbroker, akfiles, or theakforum they turn up from time to time. OR post a WTB on akfiles or theakforum and you will get a hit with in a day or two I bet!

akkrazy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Do not cut the gun! With that said I could be wrong about this but, I have seen some of these cut under folds before and they lack supports in the receiver that other finished UF have. Not sure if that would really hurt it to put the UF on or not but a Chinese Uf with another country hardware would probably work.

SEMI-AK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Clay you are killing me

I've got a chicom underfolder for a project Im working on.

Sell me your NHM ;)

Really if you keep your eyes on gunbroker, akfiles, or theakforum they turn up from time to time. OR post a WTB on akfiles or theakforum and you will get a hit with in a day or two I bet!

I will have to pass on the sale....I call the gun freight train...it runs forever...and I can shoot pretty clean with it...but you could complete me with the sale of the chicom uf.....

I intend to scour l-ville show of shows and the knob if they have it....I will not cut it for a month or two...

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    You can find the stocks on gunbroker. They run $75 to $150. You might also try a wtb on ar15.com or the like. Dont cut the gun. It will never look right. I've never seen a Chinese stock for sale at a show.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    My number one statement for anyone modifying something that is banned from importation, or heavily regulated is to never modify it in such a way that it either can't be returned to original, or hurts it's overall value unless you really don't care, don't do it.

That said, the MAK-90s and NHM90s with underfolding receivers are highly sought after and very desireable to people like me who want to return them to their original underfolding beauty. The angle cut to the rear of the receiver was standard for all underfolding Norincos. The stock tang was welded on to allow for the Bush-hole stock so that Mr Bush the First could live his life without fear of the evil features of a firearm that drive honest people into becoming criminals.

The tang can be cut off to allow the installation of the underfolding stock, but if you remove the rear cover, you will need to add a rear trunion for a standard stock, which would not be a direct drop in requiring further mods to the receiver . Suggestion - don't do it .

Have patience, Chinese underfolders turn up on Gunbroker quite often. Expect to pay around $100 for one complete, but doing so would at least bring your rifle closer to what they originally were.

Also, the nice thing about the NHM90s were the threads were left on the barrel with just that silly tube tack welded to the front sight. The welds can be carefully dremeled or filed off and the tube unscrewed to allow installation of a more standard muzzle nut or slant brake. Just remember, like all factory AK barrel threads, it is left hand. Turn the muzzle tube the "wrong" direction to take it off.

While it is your rifle and do with it as you see fit, but if you do not restore at least the underfolder, and cut out the rear cover to install a standard stock, please do not post a picture of it here. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

SEMI-AK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Super excited. I found a stock set with all hardware in Louisville today. Will be installing this week. Any tips or tricks for a easier install?

Top Bottom