• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    AT&T cell service here in Fishers - I've been down all morning and still down. While I can get some texts over Wifi, the software programs I use for my work all have 2 factor authentication enabled and those texts are NOT coming through. So, I'm dead in the water for a bit.
    Switch to OTP app based authenticators if you can. SMS factors can be intercepted with a sim swap. I just turned off my wifi and cell data and sure enough, the 6 digit codes continued to roll over.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    OTP = one time passcode.

Google Authenticator for instance. It’s an app you install and then register with each site by scanning a barcode.

Every 30 seconds a one time passcode rolls over. And it’s far safer than a texted code. Even without internet or cell it still works.

And the server is rolling to the same predictable passcode in sync.

And no, that code won’t work on my account. That was the code like 10 mins ago. Lol

1708645572345.png

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    OTP = one time passcode.

Google Authenticator for instance. It’s an app you install and then register with each site by scanning a barcode.

Every 30 seconds a one time passcode rolls over. And it’s far safer than a texted code. Even without internet or cell it still works.

And no, that code won’t work on my account. That was the code like 10 mins ago. Lol

View attachment 334967
    I remember having a card (looked like a credit card) that had a rotating random number on it that was somehow synced with our computers. And that was back when computers were sloooooooow. Sometimes your code would roll over while trying to submit it and then it wouldn't match. I've also seen little key fob-like things that do the same.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I remember having a card (looked like a credit card) that had a rotating random number on it that was somehow synced with our computers. And that was back when computers were sloooooooow. Sometimes your code would roll over while trying to submit it and then it wouldn't match. I've also seen little key fob-like things that do the same.
    Same exact tech. Now you have a smartphone app that can take its place.

And you can buy cards for your employees without a smartphone. Or that refuse to install the app on their personal device.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    :dunno:

Are you saying you'd get those notifications if the internet and all cell networks were down? Do they have satellite capability or something?
    Its a math equation. The app (and the server) calculates what number to roll to next. Its not getting the number from the server.

The only weakness is time sync. If your device time isnt synced perfectly (within a few seconds) your password may expire sooner/later than you expect. (the passcode may only be accurate during the middle of the countdown)

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    The only weakness is time sync. If your device time isnt synced perfectly (within a few seconds) your password may expire sooner/later than you expect. (the passcode may only be accurate during the middle of the countdown)
    This is why we went to an app-based version. The RSA tokens got so bad after a year or so that you only had about a 10-second window to use, and no idea where it was.

Top Bottom