yes disk 4 has about 48 drills alone worth the price

great dvd you guys will enjoy it

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    Mine showed up today via FedEx Ground. That's pretty good service. I don't even have the shrink wrap off it yet.

STAG556

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Indy
    Mine is slated to show up tomorrow, I truly hope the snow doesn't delay any of Fed Ex's deliveries because that would seriously ruin my day. Snowed in w/o 7 hours of DVD instruction that I've only been looking forward to for months

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    I had a lot going on and didn't get to start watching until this weekend. Still, I'm not quite through the first DVD.

Not a lot different than what I expected. Pretty much parallel to the tactical carbine series in style. Travis Haley and Chris Costa in their native state of being. Very precise movements, almost over-exaggerated sometimes. That's how we learn, I think.

Haley and Costa did take a little different approach to clearing malfunctions than what I had seen before from Clint Smith. Their approach saves time by taking a moment to identify the malfunction, then taking action specific to the type of malfunction, rather than the one-size-fits-all approach I've seen before.

I have already identified a problem in my grip by watching this DVD. But mostly, it is just making me itch to get out and shoot. I wonder if the snow will ever go away.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I got my dvd's saturday and did a marathon on them. they are worth the $50 easy and willie didn't hurt either. my only complaint about the dvd's has nothing to do with the instruction, only that that didn't show all the BA sequences of chris and travis going full bore in the rain like the trailer. parting words- "hey, do you like cookie dough?"(you have to watch the the set to get it)

perminator

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    east side indy
    got mine yesterday not quite through the first disc yet and already identified grip problems as well as learned a new technique to insert mag and release the slide on certain weapons (i think he calls this a power slam). great video money well spent cant wait to see the rest.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    got mine yesterday not quite through the first disc yet and already identified grip problems as well as learned a new technique to insert mag and release the slide on certain weapons (i think he calls this a power stroke). great video money well spent cant wait to see the rest.

FTFY;) just wait until the scenarios, oohh willie.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Finished the set this weekend. As expected, Discs 1 and 2 cover a lot of the same theories and skill sets presented in the carbine DVDs and in the classes, but some things are fleshed out in greater detail, and there are a number of handgun-specific TTPs thrown in, as well (the previously mentioned malf clearance procedures being one of them). I found the scenarios on Disc 2 to be a bit cheesy, especially the one with the young lady by herself. I would kill for a chance to take a class on that range, though! Pop-ups and movers and vehicles, oh my! :yesway:

The Concealed Carry block on Disc 3 was very interesting. It illuminated some of the additional complications that covering the gun may cause - not just when it comes to accessing the gun, but especially when you throw movement and odd positions into the mix. I also liked the mindset discussion, and the various techniques for getting the concealment garment out of the way, and for drawing from the "hostage" position (kneeling or prone with your hands behind your head).

The guns & gear discussions on Discs 3 and 4 were "meh" at best - might have been better had they not come off so much like thinly-veiled advertisements for S&W, Surefire and Raven. :dunno: Plus, Chris and Travis are at their best when they are teaching and demonstrating rather than just talking, IMO. If we made up a Magpul Dynamics drinking game where you have to do a shot every time Chris says "weapon system," Travis talks about the "ladder of excellence," or either one of them makes up a new verb, you'd be smashed within the first couple minutes. :):

The Drills on Disc 4 are valuable reference material for review and for use in setting up your own practice sessions. The outtakes are an absolute RIOT. It's these little things that show viewers that Chris and Travis are human after all, and aren't always as intense as they might appear from just watching the instructional portion of the video. The biggest thing that surprised me taking the carbine course last year was how funny and approachable Costa was in person, vs. his screen persona.

All in all, I thought this video collection was well worth the asking price, and I recommend it to anyone looking for good reference material, and especially as a prep course for taking Magpul Dynamics' classes.

My :twocents:

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    Finished the set this weekend. As expected, Discs 1 and 2 cover a lot of the same theories and skill sets presented in the carbine DVDs and in the classes, but some things are fleshed out in greater detail, and there are a number of handgun-specific TTPs thrown in, as well (the previously mentioned malf clearance procedures being one of them). I found the scenarios on Disc 2 to be a bit cheesy, especially the one with the young lady by herself. I would kill for a chance to take a class on that range, though! Pop-ups and movers and vehicles, oh my! :yesway:

The Concealed Carry block on Disc 3 was very interesting. It illuminated some of the additional complications that covering the gun may cause - not just when it comes to accessing the gun, but especially when you throw movement and odd positions into the mix. I also liked the mindset discussion, and the various techniques for getting the concealment garment out of the way, and for drawing from the "hostage" position (kneeling or prone with your hands behind your head).

The guns & gear discussions on Discs 3 and 4 were "meh" at best - might have been better had they not come off so much like thinly-veiled advertisements for S&W, Surefire and Raven. :dunno: Plus, Chris and Travis are at their best when they are teaching and demonstrating rather than just talking, IMO. If we made up a Magpul Dynamics drinking game where you have to do a shot every time Chris says "weapon system," Travis talks about the "ladder of excellence," or either one of them makes up a new verb, you'd be smashed within the first couple minutes. :):

The Drills on Disc 4 are valuable reference material for review and for use in setting up your own practice sessions. The outtakes are an absolute RIOT. It's these little things that show viewers that Chris and Travis are human after all, and aren't always as intense as they might appear from just watching the instructional portion of the video. The biggest thing that surprised me taking the carbine course last year was how funny and approachable Costa was in person, vs. his screen persona.

All in all, I thought this video collection was well worth the asking price, and I recommend it to anyone looking for good reference material, and especially as a prep course for taking Magpul Dynamics' classes.

My :twocents:

All in all, are you saying that you have not drank all the Magpul Koolaid yet? (He says while searching for another packet of Magpul Koolaid powder mix to send to Shooter):D

Sorry couldn't help myself:D

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    All in all, are you saying that you have not drank all the Magpul Koolaid yet?

:koolaid: It's Costa-licious!

Seriously though. I own a bunch of Magpul products and like them. I have watched Magpul Dynamics' carbine and the handgun DVDs, and think there's some good information there. I took Dynamic Carbine 1 last year and got a lot out of it, and have signed up for it (again) and Dynamic Handgun 1 this year.

All that said, I don't buy/use/endorse/like a given product just because it's made by Magpul, nor do I agree with everything that Chris and Travis have to say, so I don't consider myself in the "fanboy" category. But I do like cookie dough. :D

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    I couldn't help myself.:D

I too will probably be buying the Handgun set, and my Dad bought the carbine set.
    One day I think it would be fun to take the carbine course.
    I own some Magpul gear (ok,ok, my Ar is done up in it), and like alot of thier product. I just find it funny when someone says that they drink the Koolaid of a certain product just cause they like what is said and done. So, I find it fun to partake in the jesting.:D I actually find the info on here more useful. ( so I guess that says I drink the INGO Koolaid!)
    I am not in a position to say whether or not what they say or do is the right thing, but for me, currently, it's just fun to learn the different types of "teaching".
    Oh and great review Shooter!!:ingo:

Top Bottom