• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    With your carry guns how often do you switch mags? Will a full mag that is left full for...a month damage the spring? Basically how often should i switch mags in and out?

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I'd say it probably depends on the magazine.. I know a handful of LEO types that only unload their magazine once a year, when they qualify with their handguns. Other than that, they're fully loaded for 364 days a year. Usually Glocks, statistically, but I've seen similar with some other handguns as well.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Naw...

A general rule for springs: It's the action of compressing and relaxing them that'll wear them out.

Keeping them compressed all the time and/or relaxed all the time won't hurt anything.

Rotating the carry ammo every 6 mos or so IS good policy, but not on account of the springs.

-J-

Siderite

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    The only way keeping them compressed will wear on them is if they are over-compressed, past their elastic limit, and this is generally not possible to do based on follower designs (the legs on the follower prevents the spring from being compressed too far).

Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Thanks for the info. This answers my question perfectly. For some reason i thought having them compressed all the time might hurt there...um springiness.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    +1 on the above, UNLESS, you have a mag with poor metallurgy, or one from a bad batch of springs. It happens with the best of manufacturers. But, as said above, if everything is/was designed and executed properly, keeping them loaded won't hurt.

Top Bottom