• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    I was wondering about the magazine disconnect feature on some pistols. My Ruger Mark [STRIKE]II [/STRIKE] III has it, and I am considering getting an SR9c that also has it. I consider it one of the negatives of both guns. But then, I have no idea what the real purpose of the feature is. They call it a "safety feature." Can someone explain the rationale to me? Does anyone have any stories in which a magazine dosconnect helped them, or the lack of one hurt?

Last edited:

Dargasonus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    Are you sure what you have is a mark II? I'm pretty sure Ruger didn't start that until the Mark III series. I think it's a useless 'laywer feature'. I removed mine by replacing it with a oversized Clark Custom hammer bushing and pin. Removes some trigger slop and that useless mag dc.

Last edited:

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    Are you sure what you have is a mark II? I'm pretty sure Ruger didn't start that until the Mark III series. I think it's a useless 'laywer feature'. I removed mine by replacing it with a oversized Clark Custom hammer bushing and pin. Removes some trigger slop and that useless mag dc.

Thanks for catching that typo-- Yes, it is a Mark III - Target model to be exact.

I'm sure Ruger thinks it has a purpose, and I've actually heard people-- a couple of LEOs to be exact say they LIKE magazine disconnects but I never did get the reason. I tend to agree it's a lawyer feature, so I was surprised to hear anyone say they liked it-- I just wish they had elaborated on why.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Lawyer thing. That way they don't have to print or stamp the line on the side of the pistol; "Caution, fires with mag removed."

Actually in a situation where you need your weapon, and accidentally drop the mag, having that safety can get you killed. Beretta brags about their 92 series being able to be loaded through the slide opening in the event of mag damage or loss in emergency situations. You have a single shot pistol, but at least it is a pistol and not club.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Lawyer thing. That way they don't have to print or stamp the line on the side of the pistol; "Caution, fires with mag removed."

Actually in a situation where you need your weapon, and accidentally drop the mag, having that safety can get you killed. Beretta brags about their 92 series being able to be loaded through the slide opening in the event of mag damage or loss in emergency situations. You have a single shot pistol, but at least it is a pistol and not club.

Dargasonus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    Not to mention its just extra steps in the field strip process for a Mark III. For those interested any Mark II hammer bushing will work in your Mark III's to remove the magazine disconnect lever and spring.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    A guy at a gun store explained that they are great for keeping a round in the chamber and keeping the mag wih you, so it's safe for having around kids..... and I told him my son had more to worry from me than the police if he touches my gun with me or my wife not around....when he has friends over I lock them up except for the one I have on me.....I call that my butt connect safety...he touches my gun, my hand connects with his butt!

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    A guy at a gun store explained that they are great for keeping a round in the chamber and keeping the mag wih you, so it's safe for having around kids..... and I told him my son had more to worry from me than the police if he touches my gun with me or my wife not around....when he has friends over I lock them up except for the one I have on me.....I call that my butt connect safety...he touches my gun, my hand connects with his butt!

LOL to the butt connect :): Your gun store guy may be on to something here. I wonder if the LEOs liked it as a retention thing. If they are in a situation where they may lose retention of their weapon, dropping the mag prevents the gun from being used on them?

Sarge470

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Back when we were carrying the Gen 3 S&W with the mag disconnect, dropping the mag was one of the techniques we were taught if we were wrestling with a suspect over our weapon. It can also be used to disable the weapon around the house while keeping a round in the tube; slam the mag home and you're in business, without racking the slide. On the downside, we had a guy here in town who switched over to a Sigma that didn't have it, then engaged in some theatrics for his girlfriend during an argument. To make a long story short, he dropped the mag while she was looking at something else, then put the pistol to his head and squeezed the trigger in an attempt to scare her. Scared the stuffin' out of her when the gun discharged & sent a round through his head & he dropped like a sandbag.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I wonder if the LEOs liked it as a retention thing. If they are in a situation where they may lose retention of their weapon, dropping the mag prevents the gun from being used on them?

This. :yesway:

Even so, I don't want a mag 'safety' in anything I'm carrying. :noway:

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Back when we were carrying the Gen 3 S&W with the mag disconnect, dropping the mag was one of the techniques we were taught if we were wrestling with a suspect over our weapon. It can also be used to disable the weapon around the house while keeping a round in the tube; slam the mag home and you're in business, without racking the slide. On the downside, we had a guy here in town who switched over to a Sigma that didn't have it, then engaged in some theatrics for his girlfriend during an argument. To make a long story short, he dropped the mag while she was looking at something else, then put the pistol to his head and squeezed the trigger in an attempt to scare her. Scared the stuffin' out of her when the gun discharged & sent a round through his head & he dropped like a sandbag.

:+1:For Darwin and mother nature.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I guess this "safety" is mainly for people who dont know much about semi-autos and think that because they removed the magazine from the gun it cannot fire.
    They dont know that you need to check if the chamber is empty.
    In that case I think its more dangerous than anything because that doesnt teach new shooters to check the chamber.They get used to that "safety" and when they handle a gun without a mag disconnect they dont think about checking the chamber either.
    I dont like any kind of safety on guns.All you need is your brain to control your trigger finger.
    Another bad thing with those mag disconnect is that you cant do "tactical reloads" with your gun.When you have a few rounds left in your mag and you decide to change it for a full one.You keep a round in the chamber (that you can fire without the mag in place) while you change your mag.
    You cannot do that with a mag disconnect.Also that's one more part in your gun that is not needed and can go wrong.
    What if its broken somehow and you cant fire your gun even with the magazine in?
    Not good.
    The only good reason I heard about those mag disconnect is if a police officer has to give his gun away while some BG is pointing a gun at him he can just drop the mag on the floor and throw the gun in the other direction.That way he doesnt have to worry about the round left in the chamber.And the gun cannot be used against him without the magazine in.
    But how good is that?
    If he has a gun pointing at him in the first place what difference does it make to have his own gun pointing at him too.And the bad guys can still pick up his mag to use his gun if they want.
    For me I think this kind of "safety" is more dangerous than safe.

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    Another bad thing with those mag disconnect is that you cant do "tactical reloads" with your gun.When you have a few rounds left in your mag and you decide to change it for a full one.You keep a round in the chamber (that you can fire without the mag in place) while you change your mag.
    You cannot do that with a mag disconnect..

Hmmmm... why can't you do a tactical reload? Unless what you are saying is you can't fire the chambered round while doing a tactical reload?

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    Back when we were carrying the Gen 3 S&W with the mag disconnect, dropping the mag was one of the techniques we were taught if we were wrestling with a suspect over our weapon. It can also be used to disable the weapon around the house while keeping a round in the tube; slam the mag home and you're in business, without racking the slide.

Ahhh.. OK, thanks, Sarge! And what a great demonstration of natural selection at work!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Unless what you are saying is you can't fire the chambered round while doing a tactical reload?

That's what he's saying.

During a tac-load, it would be nice to have the ability to still fire your weapon if you needed to quickly.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Yeah, ditto on the "your brain and trigger finger" are the safety. Thats the way it is supposed to be. Adding anything else in just creates a false sense of security; I don't like that. Those idiots you see all the time at the range or gun shop...."the safety is on!" "Its not loaded!" I don't want anybody pointing guns at me, ever!

Better to teach people to BE safe, rather than attempt to make their equipment idiot proof; because every time you idiot-proof something, somebody somewhere makes a better idiot.

Top Bottom