• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    Got a chance to pick up a sprinfield m1a with a Kreiger barrel and match sights and bedded action in wood... Curious of what the value of such a piece might be??? Have tried to look up used m1a values but this is obviously modified so what might it be worth???

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    I guess the answer is it depends, but I agree with above and do some digging on other sites. I built my M14 and spend $2000. Base M1A's I think are around $1500 again, if you look hard, so go from there. Round count and barrel wear on the prospective rifle, date of manufacture by the serial number on receiver. Check parts, is it all commercial Springfield or does it have some nice USGI M14 parts in it.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    It's hard to say the way things have been going.
    I did take a quick look at the Bud's Gun Shop site.
    Of course they are out of stock, but the prices listed for different versions of the SAI Supermatch ranged from $2,400 to over $3,000.

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    Well, I need to get the serial num but I know it's a low.. The things I noticed was the Kreiger barrel and a trw bolt carrier assem and the stock work and the rear of the reciever has been welded/ modified??? Is this common.. I've seen it on a few others I've looked at...

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    There were rewelds that the receivers were cut up M-14's (with auto selector switches) that were salvaged. They were legal at that time. I remember something about the rewelds becoming illegal during the clinton years with the once a "machine gun, always a machinegun" opinion of antigun lawmakers. An M14 has an extra lug inside for the fire control group and of course the hole for the selector switch. Some of the reweld rifles functioned fine if the gunsmith was able to keep everything lined up in proper alignment during the welding and re machining. Some would have problems, even to the point of spitting the bolt out of the channels when firing full power ammo. Proceed with caution.

There is also a modification where they weld a lug on the back of the receiver (about under the brand and serial number stamp). This extra lug keep the receiver more steady in the stock and made for a more accurate rifle. You can still buy fresh "rear lugged" receivers for about $800 of you are building a serious match M1a. This is a good upgrade.

Look for a welded up hole for a selector switch. I do not know who to check with about current legality of rewelds. Maybe call the ATF to check on current laws.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Leo has described well the M14 and why you might see weld points on those receivers.

Therefore... what the OP is looking at is, in fact, not an M1A as manufactured by Springfield Armory in Illinois.

That changes the value structure significantly.

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    The gun is labeled as an m1a and I'm assuming the mod is for support in the rear of the stock??? No pics handy currently..

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Sounds like it has rear lugs, which I think means it would be a match or super-match, as my Standard doesn't have rear lugs, I'm not sure about the other model..can't seem to remember what they called it

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    The gun is labeled as an m1a and I'm assuming the mod is for support in the rear of the stock??? No pics handy currently..

I wouldn't assume anything that has exposed welding on the receiver. I've never seen what you describe on a gun that came from the factory and I've been looking at them for "a few" years.

If anyone has seen a factory Springfield with what Bowman describes, please advise.

Patriot3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Kokomo
    depends on what the model is. if it is a standard and he just added some parts its worth maybe gun shop prices on the standard if its used with all the mods. putting aftermarket modifications to guns then selling them never turns profit unless the person is particularly unfair.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    In regard to legal military M1a's. I think I read in Dan Shea's book that TRW marked receivers are exempted from the NFA on a one by one serial number basis. Some of them were built as match rifles only. (no auto lug) Not to be confused with the rear lugs like Leo described. As usual, I could be mistaken.
    Also put me in for where this Standard M1a was found.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom