• ...and so much more!
  • TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Very nice! Did you get that one direct from CMP? What grade is it? My son and I are excitedly waiting for a rack grade order to be filled right now.
    I did not purchase this rifle direct from the CMP. I did, however, buy it from the person who did buy it from the CMP. I was informed that it was listed as a "Service Grade" rifle.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Wow TJ. I've been hearing bad things about that ammo. Glad nobody was hurt!

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Update on the MKE ammo.

The fellow who I traded it away to finally got around to pulling it apart the MKE 65 ammo. He reports that the powder was fine and all weighed in at 51.5 gr. +/- 0.2. gr., the bullet sealant was broken down extensively, but the most damning item he found was that around 20 percent of the cases would not seat in a case gauge. Apparently the cases weren’t sized all the way to the base and protruded out of the gauge. Most around 1/32”, but some at almost 1/8”.

His conclusion is that the round that did in my rifle didn't get into full battery when fired. Given what the kaboom case looks like, I'm inclined to agree with this conclusion

He did resize some of the cases that didn't pass the case test, then reloaded using the same powder and charge and the same bullets and they fired fine out of his old 100 dollar beater Garand.

So there you have it … if you have any MKE ammo, I strongly suggest that you drop it into a case gauge before firing it. Pull apart any that don’t pass and resize the case before reassembling and shooting.

This might just be some good advice for any surplus ammo.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Wow, glad nobody was hurt seriously and the rifle did its job!

There’s no way I’d shoot Turkish surplus in a semi auto, shooting 8mm though Mausers was sketchy enough for years.

360willys

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 14, 2019
    South Bend
    Wow i never knew the m1 would send the pressure into the stock. I'm glad no one got hurt and it sucks you'll have to get a new stock but it's impressive the systems they build in that you never really see.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

mousegun87

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    Mead
    So, broke out the M1 to share with a bunch of Scouts and Scout Leaders this past weekend. First person up runs a clip through with no issues. No other immediate takers, so the first person starts in on another clip. He gets to the 7th round (15th overall), and he feels the stock push out against his trigger hand and then a sharp pain. He thinks his finger is broken. All that happened is that his hand got pinched between the broken stock.

Broken stock you wonder. How does an M1 stock break while firing? Well, you live and learn ... we all lived (only casualty was the rifle) and learned that Turkish surplus is some bad juju (MKE headstamp).

Working with the CMP to get the rifle repaired. Here's some pictures for your viewing pleasure.

View attachment 201119

View attachment 201120

View attachment 201121

View attachment 201122

The culprit.

View attachment 201123

View attachment 201124

Only found 13 of the 14 cartridges that were fired before the split case. Here's what they look like.

View attachment 201125

View attachment 201126

View attachment 201127

Anybody know if I can pull the bullets on the remaining cartridges add some new powder and have safe rounds to shoot?
    Ouch!! It hurts seeing an M1 got KB. Yeah, I'd stay away from Turkish ammo especially in a gas gun. I recall how the 8mm Turkish ammo is hotter than any surplus 8mm available back then. I think the poor storage environment caused the powder to break down thus increasing its burn rate resulting in higher chamber pressure.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Wow i never knew the m1 would send the pressure into the stock. I'm glad no one got hurt and it sucks you'll have to get a new stock but it's impressive the systems they build in that you never really see.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Part of the design. There is a vent cut into the bottom of the chamber that directs gasses down if the case fails.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    Update on the MKE ammo.

The fellow who I traded it away to finally got around to pulling it apart the MKE 65 ammo. He reports that the powder was fine and all weighed in at 51.5 gr. +/- 0.2. gr., the bullet sealant was broken down extensively, but the most damning item he found was that around 20 percent of the cases would not seat in a case gauge. Apparently the cases weren’t sized all the way to the base and protruded out of the gauge. Most around 1/32”, but some at almost 1/8”.

His conclusion is that the round that did in my rifle didn't get into full battery when fired. Given what the kaboom case looks like, I'm inclined to agree with this conclusion

He did resize some of the cases that didn't pass the case test, then reloaded using the same powder and charge and the same bullets and they fired fine out of his old 100 dollar beater Garand.

So there you have it … if you have any MKE ammo, I strongly suggest that you drop it into a case gauge before firing it. Pull apart any that don’t pass and resize the case before reassembling and shooting.

This might just be some good advice for any surplus ammo.
    On with the testing i ended chrongraphing{ Lab radar chrono} the 51.5 gr loads and they were hot 2900 plus ft, dropped down to 49.5 gr and was right 2690, so yes you add the sealant and those loads would have been to hot for a garand. The mke 78 all passed the chamber gauge but it still was pretty hot out a mauser with a 30 06 barrel. average was 2930. Thee bullets are 151 gr and they are great for reloading with, i have used them in the past and will buy them any time i see them for sale. The brass is good for reloads but i still prefer lake city brass over others for semi autos.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Got a call from the CMP today. After tearing down my rifle and inspecting it, all that was found in need of replacement is the extractor and (of course) the stock.

Their theory on what caused the kaboom is that the ammo case ruptured (brittle Turkish brass) as it was being extracted allowing the remaining gas to be vented into the action which is what destroyed the stock.

One other item we did discuss was the barrel. I was informed that there was a slight drag felt when a .30 cal. rod was passed through the barrel. They asked what the rifle was used for. I informed them that it was used 2-3 times a year to allow new rifle students (mostly Scouts) an opportunity to enjoy the experience of firing the "greatest battle implement ever devised." They agreed that the barrel is in perfect shape to continue doing that. However, if I had been participating in competition with this rifle, they would advise on replacing the barrel.

They're going to make the necessary repairs and test fire the rifle. Then, I'm going to get a call from Miss Tiffany to make payment before they send my rifle back to me.

All-in-all, things have turned out very well for my rifle. Really looking forward to getting it back and getting it out to the range.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Miss Tiffany called today. Credit card information was shared.

Now to wait until the rifle shows up at my door. Then to the range to verify my zero with some nice new Prvi Partizan ammo made specifically for the M1.

It's taken longer than I first expected, but knowing that the Pros from Dover inspected and rebuilt this rifle gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    My M1 arrived home from the CMP and promptly got put on the back burner until yesterday. Had an opportunity to check it out and I am so glad to have my baby back home. Here's the first 6 rounds through it using Prvi Partizan, M2 Ball, 150 grain, FMJ (PP3006GMC).

20230522_201704.jpg

The CMP told me that they test fired it, but they obviously didn't zero it. I posted up the target above at 25 yds, and after the first 3 rounds, I did some gosintas and put 11 clicks up and 2 clicks right, and tightened up the sling! After the next 3 rounds, I threw on another 2 clicks up and 1 more click right, called it good and went on to shoot some steel at 100 yds. For those wondering, my hold point for both groups was at the base of the center stamp.

Did I mention that it's good to have my baby back home?

TLF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    I have and shoot several mil-surp rifles including several M1 Garands. I had an M1 Carbine do this same thing with Korean ammo of dubious origin. Your Garand most likely can be fixed but why take the chance of using any part of bad ammo?

Top Bottom