• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Levergun1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2021
    Kingman
    Since ordering an M1 Garand from the CMP, a few weeks ago, I have been consuming everything I can about this rifle.

Design development, history, manufacturers, design changes, service record. Fascinating information on an iconic rifle. Now, I am not going to turn into a Garand collector but with SO much information out there, it will keep me busy for awhile longer. Lol

Levergun1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2021
    Kingman
    Hello

I have owned many M1 Garand's over the years. Youtube is your friend when it comes to learning all about dis assembly and re assembly. Just make sure you do NOT shoot any 30/06 over 150 grain thru it without a adjustable gas plug. additional pressure can bend the operating rod.

Glen
    Yes, Sir.
    I ordered (and received) 500 Hornady 150 grain FMJBT bullets. My 30-06 dies just arrived, today.

JRR85

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    NWI

Levergun1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2021
    Kingman

Levergun1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2021
    Kingman
    Set up my new (old stock) dies, earlier and loaded up three clip falls of ammo. Hornady 150 grain FMJBT bullets over Winchester 748 powder. According to the data, they should be around 2,800 fps and 48,000 CUP.

Cost is $5.80 per 20 rounds on this recipe. ($4/pound powder, free primed brass and the new bullets. 20211115_214027.jpg

senork

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    NW Indiana
    As mentioned previously, join the CMP Forum, and browse it frequently, as there is a wealth of information in its various forums. There are a couple of posters who offer very sound advice on shooting and reloading 155 grain bullets as well as 110 grain bullets. If you think that you might be shooting some commercial ammo you might consider looking into a Schuster Adjustable GasPlug, or the gas plug that is available on the garandgear.com website, which also offers a lot of information regarding the M1 Garand. Suerte

laf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Lafayette
    Bruce N Canfield's book "The M1 Garand Rifle" is worth the $100 or so price. Amazon for some reason has it at nearly a thousand bucks but I think Creedmor sports had it for $89 last year. In fact the CMP has it for $84. It is mostly on the history and design of the rifle and not maintenance or care of it.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Since ordering an M1 Garand from the CMP, a few weeks ago, I have been consuming everything I can about this rifle.

Design development, history, manufacturers, design changes, service record. Fascinating information on an iconic rifle. Now, I am not going to turn into a Garand collector but with SO much information out there, it will keep me busy for awhile longer. Lol
    If you have never been. May I suggest a trip to the Garand matches at Camp Perry. Your head will SPIN!!!! I get choked up just thinking about it.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Now, I am not going to turn into a Garand collector but with SO much information out there, it will keep me busy for awhile longer. Lol
    I said that same thing a couple decades ago when I got my first M1. I've got 11 now.

R3vERMC.jpg

The other posters already covered most of what I would contribute: The GCA, The CMP Forums, Duff's & Canfield's books.
    DE2LOfI.jpg

The fella that does Forgotten Weapons has some great videos on Garand's early prototypes. The one he does about the .276 Caliber prototype, the rifle John Garand would have rather built, is especially interesting.

The Bedford Contingent puts on a great "M1 Garand Day". It culminates in 4 challenges tailored to challenge one's knowledge of the M1. I attended the one held about a month ago. It was a hoot! And spending the day talking to folks much more knowledgeable than I, I learned a bunch of tips and tricks.

ZGePhri.jpg

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I have and have owned several M1's, each is unique. I have corrects, collectors, service grade and Frankenguns.

For a shooter I prefer the '63 Springfield barrel, they perform like a quality cast iron skillet, everything slides through, just don't use a brush in it...

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Which one are you? It looks like the rifle off the bottom of the rack...
    I'm in the middle. The rifle I'm holding is number 11 and not pictured on the rack. At that event, I shot the M1 I built in August 2020 at the CMP AMC. Despite being a post war, Frankenrifle, and the least collectible, it is my favorite!

pUDmSfH.jpg

Levergun1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2021
    Kingman
    I said that same thing a couple decades ago when I got my first M1. I've got 11 now.

R3vERMC.jpg

The other posters already covered most of what I would contribute: The GCA, The CMP Forums, Duff's & Canfield's books.
    DE2LOfI.jpg

The fella that does Forgotten Weapons has some great videos on Garand's early prototypes. The one he does about the .276 Caliber prototype, the rifle John Garand would have rather built, is especially interesting.

The Bedford Contingent puts on a great "M1 Garand Day". It culminates in 4 challenges tailored to challenge one's knowledge of the M1. I attended the one held about a month ago. It was a hoot! And spending the day talking to folks much more knowledgeable than I, I learned a bunch of tips and tricks.

ZGePhri.jpg
    Awesome collection, Sir.

Levergun1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2021
    Kingman
    I'm in the middle. The rifle I'm holding is number 11 and not pictured on the rack. At that event, I shot the M1 I built in August 2020 at the CMP AMC. Despite being a post war, Frankenrifle, and the least collectible, it is my favorite!

pUDmSfH.jpg
    That rifle is an absolute beauty. Love it.

Top Bottom