M&P Shield: integrated Crimson Trace vs standalone unit?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Topshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 16, 2015
    Terre Haute
    What are your thoughts on purchasing a Shield with the integrated laser vs a standalone unit? Cost is clearly MUCH cheaper, but if the laser goes out you have to ship your whole firearm back to S&W (or CT?). It's just my assumption, but I also wonder if battery life and visibility isn't quite as good as a standalone Laserguard LG-489.

Basically, I'm trying to decide on getting a Shield 9mm with ($499 MSRP) it or without ($479 MSRP) and then adding a separate laser ($229 MSRP in the case of LG-489).

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    For the price difference the integrated laser will be hard to beat. If it were to go out no big deal since you still have a working gun and sights.

Now on for the bad. 1) hostler selection. But any laser is going to limit that. 2) the integrated laser is not front activated. In other words you have to push a button as opposed to just gripping the gun.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    [QUOTETopshot;7382904]Thanks for the tip. Are you implying you'd go with the integrated over standalone or simply because this is an excellent price?[/QUOTE]

I personally am not a huge fan of lasers on handguns. So not my cup of tea but a great price. I have been very happy with my gen 1 Shield. But those run around $300 which is not that much less than the 2.0 laser model. I admit, if I wanted a laser, that factory built in looks cool.

Topshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 16, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I'm only considering a laser because of my eyesight, really, though I haven't tested whether it will help in that regard. I do own a cheap one a friend gave me years ago that I'll play with once I get a battery and some time to shoot.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I'm only considering a laser because of my eyesight, really, though I haven't tested whether it will help in that regard. I do own a cheap one a friend gave me years ago that I'll play with once I get a battery and some time to shoot.

Have you tried maybe a different set of sights? Like maybe trijicon HDs. If the battery on the laser goes out its best to have a good set of sights that you can see.

Just a suggestion. I prefer the single orange dot on the front and blacked out rears from Ameriglo. But if something fails you need a good back up plan.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I am with Croy. Personally not a big fan of lasers and I have owned a few. I do like lasers on snub nosed revolvers and pocket guns though. They just seem to fit in that scenario in my mind. There is really no chance of somebody pushing a button on a gun being carries though. Still for the $30 price difference no reason. Not to have the laser. In this case it’s a feature to sell guns to consumers. “Hey look this one has a laser”

If I spent $150 on an upgrade I would choose Ameriglo or Trijicon HD sights over a laser. If I were to buy a laser it would be crimson trace.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    For the price difference the integrated laser will be hard to beat. If it were to go out no big deal since you still have a working gun and sights.

Now on for the bad. 1) hostler selection. But any laser is going to limit that. 2) the integrated laser is not front activated. In other words you have to push a button as opposed to just gripping the gun.

Agreed with this. I have not researched it myself, but I would definitely look at holster selection in advance of purchase if that is going to be a concern/consideration (i.e. this is not going to just be a night stand dedicated gun, etc). There are options out there for gun/laser combinations (assuming so on these integral ones as well), but if you have a specific holster type/brand, etc you are looking for I'd check that now.

I'm not sure I'd like it as an integral unit from the aspect of, if it breaks then it has to go back to S&W, and from the aspect a gun (even a striker fired, polymer one) is a bit timeless, but integrating an electronic unit directly into the gun in a way where it cannot be removed (presumably) kind of negates that a bit. That said, at the price point of the Shield with the integrated laser, it becomes less of a concern and more of just a tool to be used and if it breaks, get a new one, etc.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Agreed with this. I have not researched it myself, but I would definitely look at holster selection in advance of purchase if that is going to be a concern/consideration (i.e. this is not going to just be a night stand dedicated gun, etc). There are options out there for gun/laser combinations (assuming so on these integral ones as well), but if you have a specific holster type/brand, etc you are looking for I'd check that now.

I'm not sure I'd like it as an integral unit from the aspect of, if it breaks then it has to go back to S&W, and from the aspect a gun (even a striker fired, polymer one) is a bit timeless, but integrating an electronic unit directly into the gun in a way where it cannot be removed (presumably) kind of negates that a bit. That said, at the price point of the Shield with the integrated laser, it becomes less of a concern and more of just a tool to be used and if it breaks, get a new one, etc.

:):
    $400 is less then a new iPhone and those are estimated to have an average lifespan of 3 years.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    :):
    $400 is less then a new iPhone and those are estimated to have an average lifespan of 3 years.

Agreed, but that is something I expect to be turned and burned because it is a disposable electronic essentially... but I get what you are saying, and the price does make it a consideration here as well. The holster thing is the bigger deal for me.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Agreed, but that is something I expect to be turned and burned because it is a disposable electronic essentially... but I get what you are saying, and the price does make it a consideration here as well. The holster thing is the bigger deal for me.

We are in complete agreement. This is not an aurguement but rather a question for consideration. What is the difference between a $300-$500 plastic gun and any other tool we use? Maybe tires, TVs and harbor freight tools is the better analogy. Yeah I own some legacy guns that will outlast my kids, but a S&W Shield isn’t one of them. Don’t get me wrong I am big fan of the Shield but other then having a serial number on the frame and the responsibility of owning a weapon they are pretty much a consumable product.

Top Bottom