• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    So I am sure there is a million threads about this. So to start sorry.

I am getting my Indiana Drivers license tomorrow and establishing residency. Which means I will be going straight from the BMV to the...?

What is the order of events to most hastily get my LTCH?

Thanks.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Go to the ISP web site FAQ, your questions can be anawered there. Then fill the app out online. If you are in a county that allows you to us L1security to do electronic fingerprinting, make an appointment and go that route. Its an extra 10 bucks, but well worth it.

gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    Well it let me apply, set an appointment, and now it wants money. So I think I am going to be ok. I will meet residency requirements without a 6 month period. Thanks Stschil for the quick advice. I will just take my shiny new IN DL to the police station after getting fingerprinted!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    You have to be a resident for 6 months before you can get LTCH, AFAIK. Have you covered that?

Where did you get that little tidbit from? You just have to be a resident. It doesn't have to be for six months. The instant you're a resident, you're eligible (and sometimes even if you just work in-state but don't live here).

I'm moving to Indiana. How do I "establish residency"? (In other words, what act will make my permit from elsewhere no longer valid?)

IC 9-13-2-78
    Indiana resident
    Sec. 78. "Indiana resident" refers to a person who is one (1) of the following:
    (1) A person who has been living in Indiana for at least one hundred eighty-three (183) days during a calendar year and who has a legal residence in another state. However, the term does not include a person who has been living in Indiana for any of the following purposes:
    (A) Attending a postsecondary educational institution.
    (B) Serving on active duty in the armed forces of the United States.
    (2) A person who is living in Indiana if the person has no other legal residence.

(3) A person who is registered to vote in Indiana.

(4) A person who has a child enrolled in an elementary or a secondary school located in Indiana.

(5) A person who has more than one-half (1/2) of the person's gross income (as defined in Section 61 of the Internal Revenue Code) derived from sources in Indiana using the provisions applicable to determining the source of adjusted gross income that are set forth in IC 6-3-2-2. However, a person who is considered a resident under this subdivision is not a resident if the person proves by a preponderance of the evidence that the person is not a resident under subdivisions (1) through (4).

(6) A person who:
    (A) is enrolled as a student of a truck driver training school;
    (B) has legal residence in another state but is living in Indiana temporarily for the express purpose of taking a course of study from the truck driver training school; and
    (C) intends to return to the person's state of residence upon completion of the course of study of the truck driver training school.​

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    One thing to think about, is once you do your online app, it takes them 1-2 weeks to do the background check. You really cant do much of anything until they call you and say your background is approved. I dont know where you are, but in Noblesville they wouldnt even talk to us until the background was completed, then we could make the appointment for the fingerprinting. After the fingerprinting, then we could our money to the police station and finally get everything completed.

I know this because I have been working on upgrading mine from a 4 year to a lifetime and getting my wife hers lifetime. we started 3 weeks ago and just finished the process on thursday. They told us to expect our cards in the mail in about 2 weeks.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    One thing to think about, is once you do your online app, it takes them 1-2 weeks to do the background check. You really cant do much of anything until they call you and say your background is approved. I dont know where you are, but in Noblesville they wouldnt even talk to us until the background was completed, then we could make the appointment for the fingerprinting. After the fingerprinting, then we could our money to the police station and finally get everything completed.

I know this because I have been working on upgrading mine from a 4 year to a lifetime and getting my wife hers lifetime. we started 3 weeks ago and just finished the process on thursday. They told us to expect our cards in the mail in about 2 weeks.

That all depends on the munipality. I lived in Avon when I got mine.
    Three working days from fingerprint appointment to having my LTCH in my mailbox.

A friend got his last fall in Marion Cty. Filled out his app on Tues evening, printed on Friday and had his LTCH by the next Friday.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County

In Marion County if you do the online application and L1 printing, you'll have the license in the mail about 7 days after you get printed at IMPD down town.

For anybody wondering:

Online Application -> L1 -> Local Municipality -> Wait

You can't do it out of order, your local Municipality will require the white paper you get from L1 to print you and finish up the process.

Top Bottom