• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    There are two issues under discussion that are being conflated. Do you HAVE to carry your license? No, not any more. It is YOUR burden to PROVE you are licensed? Yes.

Driver's license:

IC 9-24-18-6
    Required licenses; enforcement proceedings; burden of proof
    Sec. 6. In a proceeding to enforce IC 9-24-1 requiring the operator
    of a vehicle to have a certain type of license, the burden is on the
    defendant to prove by a preponderance of the evidence that the
    Indiana Code 2015
    defendant had been issued the applicable license
    or permit and that
    the license was valid at the time of the alleged offense.
    As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.12.

LTCH:

IC 35-47-2-24
    Indictment or information; defendant's burden to prove exemption
    or license; arrest, effect of production of valid license, or
    establishment of exemption
    Sec. 24. (a) In an information or indictment brought for the
    enforcement of any provision of this chapter, it is not necessary to
    negate any exemption specified under this chapter, or to allege the
    absence of a license required under this chapter. The burden of proof
    is on the defendant to prove that he is exempt under section 2 of this
    chapter, or that he has a license as required under this chapter.

(b) Whenever a person who has been arrested or charged with a
    violation of section 1 of this chapter presents a valid license to the
    prosecuting attorney or establishes that he is exempt under section 2
    of this chapter, any prosecution for a violation of section 1 of this
    chapter shall be dismissed immediately, and all records of an arrest
    or proceedings following arrest shall be destroyed immediately.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

Having your license meets that requirement. If you have your license, the burden of proof shifts to the LEO to show it is revoked, issued to someone else instead of you, a forgery, whatever to show it isn't valid. If you don't have it, the LEO can PROBABLY look it up. What happens when the computer is down? Databases get shut down for updates or whatever, there are times when you can't get BMV information back for several hours because they are doing whatever they do to it.

TL;DR: Is it legal to carry w/o a license? Yes, but the code also specifically says you have the burden to show you were licensed and without a license in your possession that becomes more difficult.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    There are two issues under discussion that are being conflated. Do you HAVE to carry your license? No, not any more. It is YOUR burden to PROVE you are licensed? Yes.

Driver's license:

IC 9-24-18-6
    Required licenses; enforcement proceedings; burden of proof
    Sec. 6. In a proceeding to enforce IC 9-24-1 requiring the operator
    of a vehicle to have a certain type of license, the burden is on the
    defendant to prove by a preponderance of the evidence that the
    Indiana Code 2015
    defendant had been issued the applicable license
    or permit and that
    the license was valid at the time of the alleged offense.
    As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.12.

LTCH:

IC 35-47-2-24
    Indictment or information; defendant's burden to prove exemption
    or license; arrest, effect of production of valid license, or
    establishment of exemption
    Sec. 24. (a) In an information or indictment brought for the
    enforcement of any provision of this chapter, it is not necessary to
    negate any exemption specified under this chapter, or to allege the
    absence of a license required under this chapter. The burden of proof
    is on the defendant to prove that he is exempt under section 2 of this
    chapter, or that he has a license as required under this chapter.

(b) Whenever a person who has been arrested or charged with a
    violation of section 1 of this chapter presents a valid license to the
    prosecuting attorney or establishes that he is exempt under section 2
    of this chapter, any prosecution for a violation of section 1 of this
    chapter shall be dismissed immediately, and all records of an arrest
    or proceedings following arrest shall be destroyed immediately.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

Having your license meets that requirement. If you have your license, the burden of proof shifts to the LEO to show it is revoked, issued to someone else instead of you, a forgery, whatever to show it isn't valid. If you don't have it, the LEO can PROBABLY look it up. What happens when the computer is down? Databases get shut down for updates or whatever, there are times when you can't get BMV information back for several hours because they are doing whatever they do to it.

TL;DR: Is it legal to carry w/o a license? Yes, but the code also specifically says you have the burden to show you were licensed and without a license in your possession that becomes more difficult.

:whistle:

The words "in your possession" were removed from the code a few years ago. While you are not legally required to have the license on you, carrying without a license is a crime and the burden of proof falls on you the show you're carrying legally.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    My wallet contains: my unit coin from Korea, a $1 Sacajawea coin, 100 Won from Korea, 1 Qatari Riyal, my Blue-ID Mafia card, multiple debit and credit cards, multiple insurance cards, several business cards (mine and others) and a few "no guns=no money" cards just off the top of my head. Adding a laminated piece of pink paper doesn't seem a bridge too far. And yes, I carry it in my front pocket.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I thought the actual IC codes might help the discussion. Plus you are on my ignore list so I didn't see your post. Or the one I'm replying to. I'm just guessing that it's a smug smiley of some sort.

:D
    No no no.... You're doing it wrong. You're supposed to tassel my hair and say "ya done good kid". I need validation dammit!

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    My wallet contains: my unit coin from Korea, a $1 Sacajawea coin, 100 Won from Korea, 1 Qatari Riyal, my Blue-ID Mafia card, multiple debit and credit cards, multiple insurance cards, several business cards (mine and others) and a few "no guns=no money" cards just off the top of my head. Adding a laminated piece of pink paper doesn't seem a bridge too far. And yes, I carry it in my front pocket.

Sugar packets? No sugar packets?

mikeruth

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The words "in your possession" were removed from the code a few years ago. While you are not legally required to have the license on you, carrying without a license is a crime and the burden of proof falls on you the show you're carrying legally.

Who knows what mood any given LEO will be in on any given day. I carry mine right behind my DL.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    Like I said before, the biggest risk of not having the paper on you is if you run into an anti-gun cop. That cop has no obligation to do your job for you (prove that you have a LTCH) and can happily put the cuffs on you and take you to the clink. They have to destroy all records of your arrest once you prove you have a LTCH but your booking information will likely still get out to the sites that do that stuff and you'll forever be on google as "carrying a handgun without a permit" (yes the charge will say permit). Of course once your booking info/picture is on google you are guilty in the view of public opinion.

If you conceal and don't like the public to know this will also "out" you. Further, it could hurt you in a future job hunt when that booking records comes up in their google search of you.

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    Like I said before, the biggest risk of not having the paper on you is if you run into an anti-gun cop. That cop has no obligation to do your job for you (prove that you have a LTCH) and can happily put the cuffs on you and take you to the clink. They have to destroy all records of your arrest once you prove you have a LTCH but your booking information will likely still get out to the sites that do that stuff and you'll forever be on google as "carrying a handgun without a permit" (yes the charge will say permit). Of course once your booking info/picture is on google you are guilty in the view of public opinion.

If you conceal and don't like the public to know this will also "out" you. Further, it could hurt you in a future job hunt when that booking records comes up in their google search of you.

I'm sure he could do that just to be be a jerk, but doesn't that generate a bunch of wasted paperwork for him/her?

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Sugar packets? No sugar packets?

Mmmmm no. I do have my USAF drivers license (never expires, hey I'm qualified on warehouse tug, forklifts 2K-15K AND the uber-cool 10K all terrain forklift). American Legion membership card, my last LES from the USAF, and a college ID. I am still a grad student.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I think the change was great because accidentally leaving your wallet at work/home shouldn't be a crime, but you'll probably find it inconvenient if you're caught carrying without it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Who knows what mood any given LEO will be in on any given day. I carry mine right behind my DL.

Just make sure no pink is showing while you remove your license if you do not wish to inform. I USED to do that. Until I got popped for speeding on 465. The observant trooper saw it over my shoulder as I was removing my license. "I see you are licensed to carry. Do you have your gun in the vehicle with you now?" DOH! :facepalm: (and no, lets not go down the rabbit hole of whether you should/are allowed to lie to the officer. In my case I didnt have it that day...)

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Yup, I did that exact scene once with a Bloomington cop when I pulled my driver's license out. He was cool about the whole thing - asked "where is your gun?" "in the console" "Let's just leave there OK?" "Yes sir." Then he just laughed and told me to slow it down a bit. After that the pink slip went DEEP into the secret compartment of the wallet. So they actually STOP speeders on 465?!! I've never been able to catch up with any other cars on 465. It's like Death Race 2000 out there.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Just make sure no pink is showing while you remove your license if you do not wish to inform. I USED to do that. Until I got popped for speeding on 465. The observant trooper saw it over my shoulder as I was removing my license. "I see you are licensed to carry. Do you have your gun in the vehicle with you now?" DOH! :facepalm: (and no, lets not go down the rabbit hole of whether you should/are allowed to lie to the officer. In my case I didnt have it that day...)

"Here's my license, sir. And my registration and proof of insurance. I don't answer questions unrelated to the traffic stop."

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Do yourself a favor. Carry the darned thing! People who ask for trouble generally find it.

I'm not sure how I'd be doing anyone a favor by graciously pandering to poorly crafted, unjust laws, especially considering the relatively minor nuisance it may cost me to highlight the problem.

How do you feel about people who ask for Liberty but find trouble instead?

"Here's my license, sir. And my registration and proof of insurance. I don't answer questions unrelated to the traffic stop."

Exactly. There is no reason to contemplate lying when one doesn't even need to answer the question.

Top Bottom