• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Anima mundi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Southport
    So I applied for my license back in February and I made the mistake of being honest about seeing a psychiatrist (prescribed a mild, low-dose SSRI for anxiety). I submitted without a letter of recommendation from my doc because he doesn't write them and apparently a list of my medications, their side-effects, and my own diagnoses wasn't sufficient for the licensing office to make a reasonable determination about my mental health. They went over the 60 day processing deadline and only after repeated inquiry over the phone and through email sent me a denial letter dated May the 10th. I called up the licensing office again and was told that I had to sign a medical release to let them look at my medical records. The woman I spoke with said that after that, they would reconsider the rejected status and, if unchanged, they would set me up for an appeal date and let me know. I typed up a short & sweet appeal letter just in case, and waited patiently. Two days from the end of the appeal window (60 days on July 10) and still nothing back from them, so I sent out the appeal letter, which USPS shows they received on the 8th (certified mail is pretty great). Waited some more since I figured calling every three days to check on my status would somehow reflect poorly on me, finally called them again today and was told my appeal was received and it's being "processed." On asking how long that takes I was given another 60-day window from the date of receipt.

So assuming they put it off as long as possible like they've been doing for me through this whole process, it seems I'm looking at somewhere in mid-September just to get a date for a hearing to explain that I'm not a nutso schizophrenic.

Considering I work at a gun store/range where people regularly carry, and considering I've been unarmed while working at this place and honestly putting myself in a bit of a dangerous position, I feel like I've been pretty patient throughout the process. My patience is running thin though, and I'm honestly a little angry at this point. Does anyone have experience with getting the cold shoulder this bad, and does anyone have any suggestions on what my options are to cut through the bureaucratic garbage and actually get my license before I die of old age?

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    To help cut through the red tape, get an attorney. That's about the only advice I have.

As for being unarmed at work, ask your boss if you can carry. Don't need a license on private property with permission.

Light

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Near Fort Wayne
    What Tim said. If you get permission from the boss, you can legally carry on his property, just make sure you follow the transportation laws on unlicensed handguns.

A lawyer may be able to act as an intermediary between you and the ISP to help move things along quicker than doing it yourself.

Anima mundi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Southport
    Well alrighty. The shop I work at is a chain so it might be policy to not let employees carry without a license, I'll make sure though.

Anybody have a recommendation for attorneys? Someone willing to work with a guy making student money, preferably :):

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Well alrighty. The shop I work at is a chain so it might be policy to not let employees carry without a license, I'll make sure though.

Anybody have a recommendation for attorneys? Someone willing to work with a guy making student money, preferably :):

You are new here. Guy Relford? He's a member here and is a noted 2nd Amendment lawyer. Has a radio show on WIBC.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    You WILL need a letter from your doc.
    My best friend (rip) went through this two years ago.
    He was hurt at the railroad and put on med because of the stress of it all.
    It took about 8 months for it all to clear.
    The present culture frowns on scary people with guns.

Top Bottom