• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I say gifting because an 18 YO cannot buy a handgun on his own. If you choose to make him earn it, fine. You can't make him do anything, but you can guide him in the ways of safe and responsible carry.

Slight correction. An 18 yr old can buy a handgun on his own in IN. Just not from a FFL. Well not from a FFL's dealer stock. It is legal for them to buy a handgun in a private private party transaction.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    This is in no way an opinion of your 18 Year old.

I think the biggest difference in the past 25 years would be having an 18 year old now that is responsible enough.

I've seen lots of young adults walking around the mall and such that I really hope do not carry. I would see no problem with a honest, respectful and responsible 18 Y.O. carrying, though it may be a good idea to discuss with them how to handle a police encounter while they are carrying. Not being LEO I'm not sure but I could see an officer being a little more nervous about a younger adult having a gun on them.

Some of those you are unsure of are already packing, they just don't worry about things like licenses, law or legally obtaining a firearm.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    When I was younger, I wasn't quite mature enough to start carrying. I didn't know it, but my older brother and my dad recognized it. They made me read this book, In The Gravest Extreme—The Role of the Firearm in Personal Protection, and it was instrumental in me gaining the maturity necessary to responsibly carry a gun.

I recommend it to all those who are beginning, or thinking about beginning, to carry a gun in public for the purpose of the protection of themselves and others.

hoosier21

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    South Bend
    When I was younger, I wasn't quite mature enough to start carrying. I didn't know it, but my older brother and my dad recognized it. They made me read this book, In The Gravest Extreme—The Role of the Firearm in Personal Protection, and it was instrumental in me gaining the maturity necessary to responsibly carry a gun.

I recommend it to all those who are beginning, or thinking about beginning, to carry a gun in public for the purpose of the protection of themselves and others.

Good information thanks!

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    Slight correction. An 18 yr old can buy a handgun on his own in IN. Just not from a FFL. Well not from a FFL's dealer stock. It is legal for them to buy a handgun in a private private party transaction.

Thanks, you're right, I wasn't thinking of private party sales.

Some of those you are unsure of are already packing, they just don't worry about things like licenses, law or legally obtaining a firearm.

I'm sure this is true. Probably way more than I would like to think.

Out of curiosity, If a person is carrying and has an ecounter with LE, Is the situation treated differently if the person is a young adult over an older adult?

Microairman1

Marksman
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    May 9, 2016
    New carlisle
    I guess I have a little different perspective of this as I am an 18 almost 19yo old that carries nearly everyday and everywhere ( where legal of course).

So from my persective, I think, as a lot have said here, it depends on the person. And that isn't just for 18 to 20yo, but since that is the topic here that is what I will be talking about in this post.
    There are many people my age that i wouldn't even trust with knife yet alone a car and most already have their license to drive. But I also know quite a few, (some who already carry and some who don't) that I would 100% trust with a firearm and the responsibility that comes with the carrying of a firearm.

I think it comes down to a few things, with some of those being how they were raised and their attitude to things, and their knowledge and experience with firearms.
    If you have someone that doesn't know a lot about firearms and has a very short temper and is known to act out bad when things don't go their way then things are not gonna end well at all for them or the people they hurt when they pull their firearm because they are angry or for whatever reason. Its just not a good mix. I think it comes down to how were they raised? But when you have someone who was raised right and has respect for others, is responsible, and is knowledgeable about firearms and how to use them, and also when to use them in a self defense situation, then I see no reason not to let someone who is 18 to 20 carry a concealed firearm.

Even if they were to make it to where you have to take a basic safety test and then do a qualifying type of test on a range to show you know the basic safety rules and how to operate a firearm it wouldn't be a bad thing. I don't think I want them too do that as it will just make it cost more to get a LTCH, and to be honest they shouldnt be able to say who can and cant carry as long as they are a legal firearm owner. But it isn't something I would be 100% opposed too, but that's a different post.

I think that everything comes down to the person and their mentality, along with knowledge and experience with firearms. It doesn't have as much to do with age.

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    I applied for my permit in 08 after i turned 18 had to wait almost 6 months then to get it in the mail. I have carried practically everyday since then. I was raised around firearms and hunting but my dad would not let me carry until he took me out to practice with my handgun and teach me some things he has learned over the years as a LEO. I do get tired of the whole this generation is irresponsible and millenials are the devil mindset everyone seems to have nowadays. I used to not be considered one since i was born in 1990. But they have changed the timeframe to include people back to the 80's in that demographic. I was raised right and have held a job since 16 and even before then did side construction jobs with my dad since i was 8 or so. I am 26 OWN 2 vehicles married and live on our own.

Now with that said not everyone 18 or older now is a bad or irresponsible person. Entire demographics cannot me thrown under one stereotype. You have to evaluate on a person to person basis. If someone shows no responsibility or has anger issues etc. Those are the ones I do not like to see carrying. I have seen a few like that lost the right to carry due to being a hothead and pulling a gun to showoff or because they picked a fight and were loosing.

There is a reason we use the term proper person when it comes to firearms. We all would like to use the constitution and say everyone has a right but some people I would rather not see carry at all. That said if they are a proper person knows what it entails and continues to train with it and learns when and when not to legally use it then let them carry.

TL;DR doesn't matter the age it is the mindset.

j4jenk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2012
    Madison County
    Agree that mindset and experience are more important than age. My oldest daughter got her LTCH at 18, and wish I could have gotten my youngest her's last year at 16. She handles a gun better than many of the "adults" is see. And folks, don't bet your lunch money on a bullsey shoot with her either.

That being said, hard gun skills are only half of the equation. Mindset and temperament are also critical components. Since both my girls are even tempered and responsible, but very petite, I'm much happier knowing they can protect themselves when they aren't with me.

True story: My oldest, who had just turned 20, wanted to go stay at a cabin in Tennessee over spring break with 3 of her college friends. So there is a 0% chance that she's going road tripping and staying in the woods without her carry gun. What I was surprised about was getting a call from one of her friends dad. He basically called to confirm that my daughter was going to carry on the trip, because if not he wasn't going to let his daughter go. He said something about getting his daughter a permit when they got back. I suggested a couple of classes and some range time first.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I totally agree with vamptepes, its not about age, its about mindset

I'll second that, I can point out many middle aged men with the emotional stability of a pubescent Jr high student. The jails are full of them.

Unfortunately, a comprehensive examination to determine stability takes several sessions over a period of time. Simply looking at chronological age is a way of stacking the odds.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    ...How old was David when he took up arms against Goliath?(I really don't know, I am actually asking)

If I recall correctly, twelve.

http://gunssavelives.net/self-defense/video/son-uses-dads-ar-15-to-defend-home/

For those who think it's about age, I would ask at what age someone's life is worth defending with deadly force?

If someone else can exercise that level of force in your defense, lawfully, why should the law prevent you from being able to do so yourself?

Blessings,
    Bill

HoosierHIT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2017
    Linton
    I have raised my boys, as I was raised, to enjoy the shooting sports and the outdoors... They have been shooting since they were old enough to hold a gun and have been taught, re-taught, and taught again about gun safety, personal defense, etc... I made a promise to each of my boys that as they turned 18, I would pay the $$$ for them to get their permit and I would buy their first gun... 2 down, 1 to go... I feel that the 2 boys of mine who are now 18 and 19, are more safe every single day because they carry a gun... I also think that that sense of responsibility at such a young age, has helped them gain the responsibility necessary in other parts of their lives... I realize that every case is different and every kid is different, but, I truly believe, with all of my heart and soul, that a child is a true product of their raising... I realize there are a few exceptions out there... But, I think that this is the truest statement I can make on this subject...

hoosier21

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    South Bend
    I have raised my boys, as I was raised, to enjoy the shooting sports and the outdoors... They have been shooting since they were old enough to hold a gun and have been taught, re-taught, and taught again about gun safety, personal defense, etc... I made a promise to each of my boys that as they turned 18, I would pay the $$$ for them to get their permit and I would buy their first gun... 2 down, 1 to go... I feel that the 2 boys of mine who are now 18 and 19, are more safe every single day because they carry a gun... I also think that that sense of responsibility at such a young age, has helped them gain the responsibility necessary in other parts of their lives... I realize that every case is different and every kid is different, but, I truly believe, with all of my heart and soul, that a child is a true product of their raising... I realize there are a few exceptions out there... But, I think that this is the truest statement I can make on this subject...

Great first post, welcome!

Top Bottom