• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brentlacy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2018
    Rockville
    I was discussing with a co-worker today that I'm (more than) old enough to remember Sandy Hook and all the crazy that happened directly afterwards. A family member is an FFL in IL, and was doing all he could at that time to find anyone with an AR to buy and resell, as they were unobtanium in all the bigger stores in the area from the panic.

With as polarized as things are now, I could see something like that kicking off a rush like that to a magnitude of 10 or more.

Even "base" PSA upper/lower combos regularly hovering around $400ish has peaked my attention. Bear creek is running a sale on a complete rifle for $349. I've not seen one that low for a bit. People love to hate on them. There has only been one time that one didn't go bang for me... (unfortunately for my middle, it was when he had a buck in the cross hairs) and that was easily fixed with a $15 enhanced firing pin (7.62x39).

I have pretty well what I "need". Anything bought would likely sit back "for a rainy day".

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I don't know if we will see runs on ARs in the near future even close to some in the past. Just like this last run on guns, ARs didnt do much, AKs jumped some.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    Ar's are pretty abundant right now, noticed at start of covid parts were being inflated greatly, now they are coming down also, i always keep enough parts around to build 3 0r 4 rifles in case of a SHTF scenario or a supply disruption. Presently waiting to see what happens with the 80% builder issues and atf!

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    No firearms are a good investment, especially plastic and steel. Cheap guns aren't the most desirable, so when it is time to sell, you won't be happy. You are not likely to beat inflation. Put your money in something else for the long term.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    During the last run on firearms there was a dealer at an unnamed gun show paying $800 for any Glock that came in the door. Same dude was paying $800+ for any AR 15 that came in.
    Having said that, he still has some of those Franken ARs. I'm assuming he is accepting offers now.
    Investing in firearms is going to be dicey at best.
    My advice is during the next big thing, don't get greedy. Sell early.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    During the last run on firearms there was a dealer at an unnamed gun show paying $800 for any Glock that came in the door. Same dude was paying $800+ for any AR 15 that came in.
    Having said that, he still has some of those Franken ARs. I'm assuming he is accepting offers now.
    Investing in firearms is going to be dicey at best.
    My advice is during the next big thing, don't get greedy. Sell early.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I'd like to see videos on different AR-15 rifles chambered in 5.56x45mm from $350 rifles to $3500 rifles, and run each one 5000rds. See how each one holds up. You might be surprised by the results, or could be exactly what you think the results will be. Until it is done we really don't know how good rifles are in all those price ranges.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    If I were to "put back" an AR for this reason it would a name brand "mid-tier" rifle the IWI Zion mentioned upthread would be a good option.

When the sheep go running for guns they look name brands , every black polymer pistol is a Glock to most of these people .

brentlacy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2018
    Rockville
    I'd like to see videos on different AR-15 rifles chambered in 5.56x45mm from $350 rifles to $3500 rifles, and run each one 5000rds. See how each one holds up. You might be surprised by the results, or could be exactly what you think the results will be. Until it is done we really don't know how good rifles are in all those price ranges.
    There is this one. Odd that the bottom tier PSA was the first one to make it all the way through the torture test.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    A few of the more budget priced ARs are running at prices that have not been seen in a few years. What are your thoughts on grabbing one or two as a purchase, for a small "investment"? Worst case you have a couple functioning rifles you got for cheap.
    As an investment no.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    No firearms are a good investment, especially plastic and steel. Cheap guns aren't the most desirable, so when it is time to sell, you won't be happy. You are not likely to beat inflation. Put your money in something else for the long term.

Don't know if I totally agree on this. Maybe it's true for AR's and cheaper items, but I've done pretty well with several lines in my collection: Marlin and Browning lever actions, CZ bolt rifles and rimfires, some of my handguns, etc...

Of course, it's a crap shoot, but I got to enjoy them at the same time they were accumulating value. Can't do that with the 401k.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Friends have said to me - How much would you have if you invested in some market? I don't know, but I never would have guessed that the SAR-1 that I paid $269 out the door would be approaching $1000, or the $300 MAK-90 would have an asking price nearing $1500. Or the SPAS-12 that I paid under $1000, or the Russian TIGR for $1000. Look at original Colt Python prices.

But unfortunately unless the stuff hits the spinning device, I doubt that any AR will double or even quadruple as some of my prizes have.

Top Bottom