• ...and so much more!
  • Loud pipes on bikes:

• Total voters

scootn103

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    Yeah, this is true. It is not unlike self gratifying ones self in public.....:)

I was not one to blip the throttle without reason. It is a waste of fuel and wears on the engine.

+1
    Bike week is full of throttle jockeys , rev up the engine 8 times sitting at a red light , 6 more times to take off .

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    +1
    Bike week is full of throttle jockeys , rev up the engine 8 times sitting at a red light , 6 more times to take off .

Loved Bike week. Went every year for 15 straight. Also did Biketober fest several times. Had the supercharged Springer there 2 years in a row. Had to be careful on the main drag. LEO standing every 50 ft. with a ticket book. Got mostly thumbs up from them. Great times.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I live near a HD dealership that is by 2 busy roads. From March to October the barrage of loud pipes from the test rides plus all the other randomly passing bikes gets old really quick. During the summer months, it is 24/7. And it isn't just the V-Twin crowd. The sport bikes are just as bad. If they did the speed limit, 30-35 mph, that would help. I would love them to go away.

But this is America. It is their choice to do that. If it is illegal and they get caught, that's their problem.

When I move, I'll be a little more particular on the location of the house.

scootn103

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    Loved Bike week. Went every year for 15 straight. Also did Biketober fest several times. Had the supercharged Springer there 2 years in a row. Had to be careful on the main drag. LEO standing every 50 ft. with a ticket book. Got mostly thumbs up from them. Great times.

I made it to bike week for 10 years straight on my Suzuki Gsxr's and my Hayabusa's , haven't been down there on my Harley .

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    New HD bikes are fuel injected, it cracks me up when guys are sitting at red lights reving them up like they are a high powered big cam carbed motor that is going to load up if they don't keep it cleaned out. Just let it idle like a normal person...

When I was a kid I had strait pipes on my truck, looking back now I see what a idiot I was.

I have heard a few great sounding HD bikes, it is about using a pipe that gives the bike a deep aggressive toned sound and not just crap noise, I have seen bikes on dynos that made crap for power because of the strait pipes, put some good pipes and a tune on and have a much better sound with power and mileage.

We don't want to hear your ****ty sounding bike...

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I guess don't drive next too me , my bagger can get noisy . You might enjoy my music though .

WTF? I think the roads are a place where people realize that sharing and/or courtesy are non existent concepts.

Just because a person gets into their cage or straddles their hawg (or whatever) doesn't mean that their attitude should change - but it seems to.

Maybe you should ride next to me - I could teach you some courtesy and respect for your fellow man.

Last edited:

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Lets discuss obnoxious vehicle Audio systems. I can deal with a loud bike. Sharing the latest "Lil-Wayne" rap with me just turns my stomach.

THIS....

Ya know...I'm not an old fart who get's annoyed with the kids these days for the most part. I've played heavy rock music on stages at ear splitting volumes for years and loved it. But, that's for the stage and NOT my vehicle. I don't mind loud pipes so much as hearing someones bass line emitting from their vehicle a mile away or next door just sitting in their driveway. It's like, why don't I just set up my loud ass guitar stack in my front yard and blast the neighborhood with heavily distorted guitar rhythms and feed back? I'd get a noise nuisance call in a jiffy. It's called common courtesy and lots of these "folks" don't have it nor care to have it.

heavyhitter1k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    I like loud pipes....to an EXTENT. If ears are bleeding, then it's too much. There is a level where the bike sounds amazing and can be heard to some extent from a distance within reason, and then there is the 3" straight piped ear drum ringing exhaust that no one should run. Balance between beauty of some sound / volume and not being a menace to others.

I have a sportbike and I run with the baffle in. It sounds great and is reasonable. Without baffle, I have won a few loud pipes contests OVER many many harley's.....so baffle stays in unless a contest is in order.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    I found out the hard way about loud motorcycles pipes (stock 1976 Kaw 900 mufflers) on my way to work and on a city street had to feel the power and noise for a thrill for a few blocks and turned down a dead end street where I worked not paying attention parked the bike to get my lunch box off the luggage rack and a police car shows up to say he heard me off in the distance and gave me a ticket for speeding. Right there I learned to be quiet and keep my money to myself.

scootn103

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    WTF? I think the roads are a place where people realize that sharing and/or courtesy are non existent concepts.

Just because a person gets into their cage or straddles their hawg (or whatever) doesn't mean that their attitude should change - but it seems to.

Maybe you should ride next to me - I could teach you some courtesy and respect for your fellow man.

Come on drive next too me .. What i was saying since you didn't loud music as well as loud pipes or bikes or whatever you want to call it .Since my bike has a system on it and pipes which are different then stock there are 2 things you don't like.. If i am at speed the radio is up ,at intersections i turn it down in case the guy next to me doesn't like Aaron Lewis . I don't rev it up at intersections either , i take off reasonably it is a Harley . But if you want to teach me something please feel free too..
    You took what i said out of context or i typed it out of context without explaining myself.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    I voted:
    • I don't like them, but who cares

I've dealt with a lot of things throughout my life and this just isn't one of those top priorities for me. Like Churchmouse said, you can ride straight pipes without making it sound like judgement day has fallen upon earth. The noise that the pipes create don't bother me, it's WHEN the RIDER creates the noise that bothers me at all. They can control what they're doing, but they choose to rev the throttle. Blame the idiot, not the bike.

I have the same feelings about loud music. One day you will lose your hearing, or pullout infront of a firetruck and get smashed. It's not my fault, it's not the car's fault, it's your fault. Own up and figure out why you're acting a fool.

Last edited:

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Not about noise always on the road.

As a diesel owner I HATE those inbred hicks that "roll coal" or smoke switch guys - such discourtesy - tiny wang.

RedSox

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    Camby
    singlesix, love that video. I was going into work one morning walking next to an older lady, when a network admin rode up, revving his bike loud and obnoxious. After he was done, she turned to me and said "Think he is compensatiting for something?" I laughed my ass off.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    My current ride ('04 FXDWGI) has Screaming Eagle pipes that say "NOT FOR ROAD USE" on the bottom. Yes it is very loud, I'll admit that sometimes it's too much. As for the fuel system, it's been recalibrated for those pipes and a Heavy Breather intake.

scootn103

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    Not about noise always on the road.

As a diesel owner I HATE those inbred hicks that "roll coal" or smoke switch guys - such discourtesy - tiny wang.

I am a diesel owner as well , neighbors son has a Cummins diesel with at least a 10" stack through the bed , damn near floors it to get in the driveway and when i hear it i think of a train with the smoke everywhere . I am sure my diesel lets a little black smoke out but i do not have a programmer and its fine with a 4" straight pipe.

bakeman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2012
    Linton, IN
    Hey when these jack wagons have to wear ear plugs for their own firearm it isn't for safety its to get the world to look at their $40k usless toy and to compensate for not getting hugged enough when they were home. There is no justification for these loud firearms.

Funny....If i change two words in your sentence, you would be labelled a tyrant by everyone here.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    I voted "don't like them, but who cares?" Stock bikes sound great to me. Not sure about Harleys.... because I'm not sure I've ever heard one.:):

On an aside, I find it entertaining how many stop light throttle jockeys there are now. Years ago, bikes were poorly carbureted, and many had no air box per se. Consequently, many riders blipped the throttle while awaiting the light change to prevent the dreaded "die on take-off " syndrome. It was very common with single cylinder bikes with a velocity stack on the carb.
    Funny to now see doing this is an indicator of coolness.:cool::):

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    My bike had straight pipes when I had one that is... I wasn't real concerned about what the other drivers thought

Loud Pipes Save Lives!

If they refuse to look for you, let them hear you instead.

Top Bottom