• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The Florida man charged with fatally shooting a 17-year-old boy after an argument over loud music testified Tuesday that he thought he saw the barrel of a gun from the teen's SUV and that he feared for his life before firing his weapon.

Defense Rests in Florida Loud-Music Killing Trial - ABC News

I was talking to friend (yes, I have them), who is a lawyer, about the most recent "self-defense" shooting in Florida. If you're unaware, it's the "Loud Music" Trial, where a legal carrier got into a dispute with some juveniles, over loud music. Then end result being one of the juveniles was killed.

Anyways, lawyer friend says the defendant's goose is cooked because he took the stand, meaning that stand alone merits of the defense aren't enough to sway a jury, without the accused's testimony. So basically this is a last resort for a trial that isn't going well.

Looking at the facts of the case, and watching how the trial has unfolded, this guy's freedom looks to be in serious jeopardy.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Anyways, lawyer friend says the defendant's goose is cooked because he took the stand, meaning that stand alone merits of the defense aren't enough to sway a jury, without the accused's testimony. So basically this is a last resort for a trial that isn't going well.

Your friend is more likely correct than not.

This case will hurt the RKBA movement in Florida.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Big media is going to crow when this guy goes to jail, sad mess that we probably aren't getting the whole story of.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Big media is going to crow when this guy goes to jail, sad mess that we probably aren't getting the whole story of.

What do you think is missing? Dude unloads on vehicle, never calls the cops, drives to a motel, orders a pizza, finds out he killed someone, still doesn't call cops, goes home, and the cops catch up with him. He says the juveniles had a gun, swears it, and says that police simply didn't look hard enough for it. I think the guy probably was in fear for his life, only that the standard he used, didn't justify deadly force.

hookedonjeep

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    With the other Sheepdogs
    ^^^^^^^^ This. This is not self defense, regardless of what he may have seen. Self defense, true "I am in fear for my life" self defense, does not involve pizza, or motels before informing the police that you just pumped a bunch of rounds into a vehicle loaded with teenagers. It does not involve waiting for the police to find you first. :ugh::ugh:

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    Every one of us that values the right to carry should be happy to see this guy go to prison. Carrying comes with responsibility, and nothing that this guy did was responsible. Not one thing during the entire event from beginning to end.

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    Yeah im going with the shooter is in the wrong, I hate idiots with there music load as much as the next guy but shooting them is not the right thing to do. Now for all we know there could have been a gun in the other car but if so, he should have called the cops right away which he did not so seems to me he is guilty.

JB357Mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Yea!
    What do you think is missing? Dude unloads on vehicle, never calls the cops, drives to a motel, orders a pizza, finds out he killed someone, still doesn't call cops, goes home, and the cops catch up with him. He says the juveniles had a gun, swears it, and says that police simply didn't look hard enough for it. I think the guy probably was in fear for his life, only that the standard he used, didn't justify deadly force.

Yup, not calling 911 right away screwed him, made him look guilty as hell.

Why on earth wouldn't you call 911 after something like that?

Jimmy

Tsigos

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    His testimony in the video doesn't ring true to me. He states that a gun was pointed at him, was told he was going to be killed, heard the rear car door open but he did not even think about drawing his weapon at that point. Really?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I watched all the 1st runs on this one. That idiot screwed the pooch. Totally. He would have been better off just dragging the young wise a$$ out of the SUV and tuning him up.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    His testimony in the video doesn't ring true to me. He states that a gun was pointed at him, was told he was going to be killed, heard the rear car door open but he did not even think about drawing his weapon at that point. Really?

He also, after the gun was pointed at him, reach across the seat, opened the glovebox, unholstered the gun, chambered a round, and then started shooting. In a "holy **** I'm about to be killed" moment, that's a LOT of time.

Ironhippie

Go Navy
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2013
    Avon
    Im sorry sir, ill turn the music down, sorry bout that. Two families lives are not destroyed..but NO! instead, shut up you pasty white cracker, lets beat this fools ass, im gonna kill this MF er. Never bring a Boom Box to a gun fight but if you do and your asked to turn it down maybe you should turn it down.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Im sorry sir, ill turn the music down, sorry bout that. Two families lives are not destroyed..but NO! instead, shut up you pasty white cracker, lets beat this fools ass, im gonna kill this MF er. Never bring a Boom Box to a gun fight but if you do and your asked to turn it down maybe you should turn it down.

I'm sure bubba will cause a lot more discomfort than a few minutes of loud music. If it was that loud, how was he able to hear any threats?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I'm sure bubba will cause a lot more discomfort than a few minutes of loud music. If it was that loud, how was he able to hear any threats?

Exactly, he said that the music was "obnoxiously loud," but he was able to hear they saying all those things to him? I think he was trying to play up sympathy by painting a picture of the kids, as thugs, that would seem plausible. When his own fiance said that when they pulled up, he said "I hate thug music," he denied saying that indicating that he didn't use that type of language. And then a jailhouse letter from him contradicted him.

Personally, I think the guy was probably drunk. He was coming from his son's wedding and had been drinking. He shouldve copped to alcohol being a factor, and he probably would fare better than he is now.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I thought with the Florida stand your ground law you could just shoot a teenager any time you wanted for any reason. Especially a minority teenager.
    How is it possible this guy is even going to trial?

Top Bottom