Looks like I'm moving to Terre Haute in a few weeks...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    We really like La Isla in the north end across the street from North Plaza / Menards. The one place closer to you around Fruitridge and Wabash (east of where you live) is pretty good too. I dont know that I've eaten at that location. Also there is a mexican place in ellis plaza where Top Guns is located that is excellent. Los Tres Caminos is what it's called.

I'm a fat guy, I know where most of the good places are ;)

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    i went to ISU. rough town. smells like godzilla took a massive dump in the middle of town. the first week i lived there, two people were murdered a block north of campus. pretty much describes terre haute. i'd rather live on the illinois side, and I despise illinois politics and such.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    i went to ISU. rough town. smells like godzilla took a massive dump in the middle of town. the first week i lived there, two people were murdered a block north of campus. pretty much describes terre haute. i'd rather live on the illinois side, and I despise illinois politics and such.

The smell is gone. The train track tye place is history. The paper mill is also gone. The only smell place left is the sewage plant and once the upgrades are down, that smell will be gone also. There isn't much of a murder issue here now either. I work in the news media and it isn't bad at all.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    BIL went to ISU. Wife and I used to drive over on Sunday morning and buy him and roomy's breakfast. They loved us. Well, if you feed a pack of dogs all the time they too will love you....or the food.

Also ran at the Terre Haute action track (drag strip) at least once a month and usually more if possible. Loved the place. Never ever had an issue with anyone.

BuddieReigns

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Muncie
    I don't notice any kind of smell. It seems like a pretty nice place so far except for a lot of crappy drivers kind of. It doesn't seem like many people use their turn signals. Maybe it's the same percentage as the other places i've lived, but with more people it seems like you see it constantly? :dunno:

confused89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    IN
    Just wait, you'll smell it. I lived there for about 4 years of my life. Had a friend with a place about 1.5 blocks south of 6th Ave. Not the best place to live in Terreble Haute. Give it about a year and you too will get tired of it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I don't notice any kind of smell. It seems like a pretty nice place so far except for a lot of crappy drivers kind of. It doesn't seem like many people use their turn signals. Maybe it's the same percentage as the other places i've lived, but with more people it seems like you see it constantly? :dunno:

When holding a cell phone in the left hand it is hard to drive/text and use a signal.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    the smell was mostly down south, and most of it was from the paper plant. Some of the process used to make paper put off a pretty rancid smell which the plant tried to limit to late night. ;) the wind would really carry it if it was coming from the right (wrong?) direction.

the tie plant had a petroleum smell to it, but it was just a normal 'industrial' type smell to me. The paper plant was where it was at.

that said would take them both back in a heartbeat. Lots of jobs lost when those places left.

but there

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    Well I've been here for exactly one week and got rear-ended today. I was waiting at a red light and the guy in front of me took a right, so I pulled up, and the old man behind me thought since I moved the light turned green and ran into me. There is just a dented panel so it's not the biggest deal, but it's stupid. Other than that things have been pretty good. We tried that Real Hacienda on 3rd Street and it sucked though.

I feel your pain. I have only ever been rear-ended twice in my life, both times in Terre Haute. Drivers there do suck .

I second the mexican place down by Top Guns, best mexican place in Terre Haute.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Do you like sushi? Then Umi grill is the place to go. IMO, better than any sushi you will find with in 100 miles, maybe more.

Japanese steak house? Tokyo is pretty good.

chinese take out? China Wok is my fav. Its in the north end near north plaza. My wife like royal mandarin which is in medows and I tihnk they have a couple of other places north and south.

Taj Mahal has good indian food. Exotic thai has good thai. Your really kind of limited with these places as I think they are about the only Indian and Thai places in town.

The Beirstube has about the most authentic german food Ive ever eaten outside of germany.

Park Ave Diner and The Bush have great fish and tenderloins. They are owned by the same family.

Sonkas is a good bar if you like beer, and some pretty awesome bar food. They lean towards the irish end of things with their food, and they have a pretty good fish there as well.

Moggers is another good local place to eat. Its moderately priced, but has a great selection.

Stables and J Fords Black Angus are about the 2 nicest places to eat in town. I perfer J Fords. Both are what I would consider high end. The Apple Club is suppose to be pretty good as well, but I haven't been there in years.

Pino's, Palonis, and Louises are about the best Italian around. Pino's is a little more high end, but the head chef left there about a year ago about opened Palonis (in what used to be called Carosi's). So the food at Palonis is pretty darn good as well. Louises is also good, at least it used to be last time I ate there.

Chava's is a local version of chipolte or qdoba.

J Gumbo's is a smaller chain place for cajun style food. Pretty decent.

Homie's Que is probably one of the best BBQ in town. There is also Rick's but its way expensive.

Wise Pie's is a great pizza place. by the slice of whole pies. NY style which I normally don't care for but this place is awesome.

thats all I can think of off the top of my head, but if I think of more Ill add to this post later ;)

BuddieReigns

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Muncie
    DO you guys know any good doctors in or around Terre haute that treat anxiety? My girlfriend needs to find a good doctor, and she has had trouble in the past with some who won't really treat it or just want to send her to a mental health facility. Thanks in advance.

ctb1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    I've found that most places are what you make of them. If you aren't happy in Terre Haute, you probably won't be happy in your next place either.

The smell is mostly gone except for the sewage plant which is being corrected. We have three colleges plus Ivy Tech. Indiana State plays in the Missouri Valley Conference, which is one of the best mid-major basketball conferences and one of the best FCS football conferences. Hulman Center is one of the nicest basketball arenas in the state. We have lots of gun shops, a nice shooting range (Riley CC), lots of bike trails, great parks, a decent mall, community theater, downtown events (Blues at the Crossroads, Octoberfest, etc.), excellent children's museum, tremendous art museum, two city golf courses, the Terre Haute Action Track, and the best cross country facility in the country hosting many NCAA Championship events as well as the IHSAA State Championship. You can embrace the community or you can bash it. It is what you make of it.

That said, behind the Kroger store on Wabash is not really the best place to be.

Last edited:

BuddieReigns

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Muncie
    I have to get an estimate on the damage to the bumper on my car for insurance. Is there a place any of you would recommend in Terre Haute?

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I know the owners of Mattingly, Honey Creek, Scott's Custom Colors, and they are all good people. The owner of Bryant's Body Shop used to be a regular on INGO, and he is also a good guy. I wouldn't hesitate to take it to any of them.

Top Bottom