• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DFidler87

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2014
    Small Town USA
    Keeping in mind I'm on about an $800 budget for a 1911. I've read quite a few things about Rock Island Armory's products and a guy at Bradis right up the road told me he swears by them. Also,s seen online that their customer service is apparently one of the best. Lately, I've been checking out the STI Spartan V and that really catches my eye as well. It'll be within the next month or so before I go out and make a purchase. But I'd really love to hear some recommendations and reviews on the STI Spartan V and RIA's products.

Thanks

Who Dares Wins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Plainfield
    There is a Para Expert 1911 in Stainless on the internet right now for $720 at a well known broker/trader website for guns. :)

Not me selling it, but I do like my Para 1911 which has the Cocobolo grips. It shoots well and has good quality. I haven't tried any of the ones that you mention.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Should be able to find a nice Springfield Armory in that price range. My Range Officer was $799 awhile back. You may be able to find one at that price again.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    RIA is a hit or miss product. I've owned 3. Past tense I assure you. Go Springfield, Kimber, S&W, Ruger, Remington, etc and you'll have a better, more dependable firearm you can trust and enjoy.
    I like the STI as well. I'm carrying a series 1 Kimber Custom mostly. I carry a Wilson and Ed Brown when the weather is nicer. Thousands upon thousands of rounds without a fail of any type.
    My RIAs combined were a major issue keeping them running. 2 out of the 3 were trouble out of the box with one not being able to be fixed. My first I loved until it puked around 3K rounds. It cost me almost $300 to bring it up to snuff and I've still got a $400 gun after putting almost $700 in it. It's the GI model and I figured $300 in another .45 was better than another parts gun in the drawer.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    There is a Para Expert 1911 in Stainless on the internet right now for $720 at a well known broker/trader website for guns. :)

Not me selling it, but I do like my Para 1911 which has the Cocobolo grips. It shoots well and has good quality. I haven't tried any of the ones that you mention.
    My friend has a Para Ordnance 1911. It is a sweet gun. When it comes time for me to buy a 1911 I will be looking at Para first.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Not a thing wrong with the RI 1911s. I have thought about adding one to the collection myself. In the price range you specify, any one of their line should be well within your budget. I cant speak on STIs, as I have never seen one.

Another brand to consider, Springfield Armory, has a few that should fall in your price range, depending on what type and accessories you are looking for from the factory.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Here we go again.

What are you using it for....target/carry/safe queen. Valid questions.
    The answers to these questions will tell others what to suggest.

Harley46982

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    I just picked up a Springfield Mil-Spec in .45 it's in your budget and makes a nice gun to build on should you want to customize it. On the other hand I have a Rock Tactical I bought for my son and so far it's been perfect in 3k rounds.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Keeping in mind I'm on about an $800 budget for a 1911. I've read quite a few things about Rock Island Armory's products and a guy at Bradis right up the road told me he swears by them. Also,s seen online that their customer service is apparently one of the best. Lately, I've been checking out the STI Spartan V and that really catches my eye as well. It'll be within the next month or so before I go out and make a purchase. But I'd really love to hear some recommendations and reviews on the STI Spartan V and RIA's products.

Thanks
    Check out USDS in greenwood. Their customers service is the best and they are very knowledgeable. When I was in there a few days ago they had a very good selection of 1911's including nice rock islands! Check them out for no BS honesty! It will take you forever to get helped in the other shop you mentioned and it feels like they have better things to do than answer your questions.

I think its a good idea to see and feel several different brands side by side.
    Here's a link: usds.biz

Last edited:

DFidler87

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2014
    Small Town USA
    Check out USDS in greenwood. Their customers service is the best and they are very knowledgeable. When I was in there a few days ago they had a very good selection of 1911's including nice rock islands! Check them out for no BS honesty! It will take you forever to get helped in the other shop you mentioned and it feels like they have better things to do than answer your questions.

I think its a good idea to see and feel several different brands side by side.
    Here's a link: usds.biz

Overall, I've never had a problem with Bradis. They've usually answered my questions pretty quickly. But I'm always open to checking out other shops. Next time I'm in the Greenwood area, I'll check them out.

Thanks for the responses thus far.

LostLake

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 7, 2013
    West Side
    Hello Sir,

Speaking from my own experience, I've had really good luck with my own RIA 1911. IMHO it's a fine 1911 for the money - especially if you 'fluff 'n buff' one or after a couple thousand rounds has been put through it . S&W has their lowest tier E-Series 1911 right in that $800.00 range - that's a NICE 1911 for the money. If I were you, I'd give the Smith custom shop gun a look.

I lay-a-way'd a used Kase Reeder 'Condition One' yesterday for under a grand. Thing was pretty much flawless. I can't wait to compare it to my other 1911's.

Smith and the RIA Compact Tactical

2TIe0Mq.jpg

S&W E-Series (lowest tier)

DMjG1zl.jpg

Last edited:

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Hello Sir,

Speaking from my own experience, I've had really good luck with my own RIA 1911. IMHO it's a fine 1911 for the money - especially if you 'fluff 'n buff' one or after a couple thousand rounds has been put through it . S&W has their lowest tier E-Series 1911 right in that $800.00 range - that's a NICE 1911 for the money. If I were you, I'd give the Smith custom shop gun a look.

I lay-a-way'd a used Kase Reeder 'Condition One' yesterday for under a grand. Thing was pretty much flawless. I can't wait to compare it to my other 1911's.

:laugh:

rambokid

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2014
    United States
    I love my Springfield 1911 in OD green that I bought a few years ago from Plainfield Shooting Supply. It is one of my guns that I will NEVER get rid of.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Here we go again.

What are you using it for....target/carry/safe queen. Valid questions.
    The answers to these questions will tell others what to suggest.
    Sure you don't need to take a nap first? :):

Magnum314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Both can be quite good at that price range. Personal experience will vary from one individual to another. You could be well served by either. Within that price range...you will get as many opinions as there are options. And you know what they say about opinions!:rolleyes:

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    For that price range...and given quality of product in my experience..and quality customer service support...I would go a Springfield Armory loaded or a Range Officer. Depending on new/used you can get a LOT of features for the money...especially when you can find one used. But everybody on here is going to have their loyalties, personal experience, and opinions...and we all know what they say about opinions. :rolleyes:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

See how easy that was.......:)

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    For that kind of money, I'd skip the Rocks and move up the ladder a bit. I was at Elmore's the other day and they had a new Kimber full size 1911 for around $800. I cannot remember if it was $780 or $850 but am thinking it was the lessor amount. I was buying another 1911 and was struck by a passing thought of picking that one up as well since it was priced very well for a Kimber. Springfields are also in that range as mentioned above if not lower. I bought a Springfield Mil-Spec for my nephew when he graduated SF training a year or so back and it only set me back $650. My Remington R1S set me back $689 and I love that gun. The Ruger 1911s are also in that range and are quite popular.

Rocks are good guns but if spending near $800, there are many better options.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013

You can get them from Buds for about mid $500

Top Bottom