Looking to get into bow hunting/archery.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    So she went to Dicks and got sized, lol. She had trouble drawing the lowest adult bow they had at 46lbs, but the youth was too easy at 29lbs. And her draw is like "24-25" I think the 24" was more comfortable, but the adult bows were 25" on the low side, as per what she said. All they had at Dick's were compounds, she's headed to Gander now. They have a large selection of bows, all I remember seeing were compound though.

Suggestions? Something around maybe 40lbs with the right draw so she can work up to "big girl bow"... her words, not mine.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    So she went to Dicks and got sized, lol. She had trouble drawing the lowest adult bow they had at 46lbs, but the youth was too easy at 29lbs. And her draw is like "24-25" I think the 24" was more comfortable, but the adult bows were 25" on the low side, as per what she said. All they had at Dick's were compounds, she's headed to Gander now. They have a large selection of bows, all I remember seeing were compound though.

Suggestions? Something around maybe 40lbs with the right draw so she can work up to "big girl bow"... her words, not mine.

Go pick her up a 40# recurve. She won't be drawing the full weight if her arms are shorter than the draw length. It's just about a one size fits all. :D

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Maybe you folks can help me with my questions. My county bans the shooting of firearms within 300 yards of another residence. The way the law is written, this only applies to black powder type devices, so pellet/bb guns/arrows are OK.

I have always wanted something I could use to put down, legally, a raccoon, coyote, etc. if the opportunity presented itself and was needed (prevent destruction, etc.). Well, years back, I found a good on-line deal for a crossbow. I had this thing for years before finally shooting it with my uncle. He has a nice crossbow for hunting, and his clearly shot with much more force than mine (I got a cheaper model). The one thing I didn't know was that the "feathers"/fletching on the back of the arrow tear when shot from a crossbow. He explained and showed me how to repair them and such. This was not something I cared to do, as I wanted to start shooting the thing in my backyard.

So I ended up selling the crossbow and have been looking at compound bows. Would like to have something for hunting/target shooting out back. However, I want to know if shooting arrows from these bows will tear up the fletching/arrows like with a crossbow? Thanks!

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Maybe you folks can help me with my questions. My county bans the shooting of firearms within 300 yards of another residence. The way the law is written, this only applies to black powder type devices, so pellet/bb guns/arrows are OK.

I have always wanted something I could use to put down, legally, a raccoon, coyote, etc. if the opportunity presented itself and was needed (prevent destruction, etc.). Well, years back, I found a good on-line deal for a crossbow. I had this thing for years before finally shooting it with my uncle. He has a nice crossbow for hunting, and his clearly shot with much more force than mine (I got a cheaper model). The one thing I didn't know was that the "feathers"/fletching on the back of the arrow tear when shot from a crossbow. He explained and showed me how to repair them and such. This was not something I cared to do, as I wanted to start shooting the thing in my backyard.

So I ended up selling the crossbow and have been looking at compound bows. Would like to have something for hunting/target shooting out back. However, I want to know if shooting arrows from these bows will tear up the fletching/arrows like with a crossbow? Thanks!

You can start by moving to a different county. :D

But, no matter what you shoot you will always have problems with fletching coming off due to the friction of the fletch on the support. I would invest in a fletcher. (The single one works juts fine) and some fletching glue. This should hold your arrows just fine unless you plan on shooting the arrows a couple hundred times. I don't know much about compound and crossbows just my :twocents:.

Uconas

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    i think bows are like work boots, pull back every bow you get your hands on. most archery shops will let you shoot the bow first. i feel that hoyt is the best but my youngest daughter shoots a diamond youth, my wife shoots a browning

joshennis84

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 25, 2009
    Bloomington
    You need to go shoot several bows and see how they fit. Some you may like but won't shoot very well for you. Some you may hate but can put arrows on top of each other. You have to find your compromise.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    She needs to find a local mentor to help her through her decisions. Somebody who eats, sleeps bowhunting/archery. I would recommend a bow that has an adjustable draw length that she can shoot at a low poundage then work up. The Mission Menace [by Mathews] comes to mind.

Adrenaline

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    North Carolina
    I don't know where to find a mentor around here. I am just getting into an MMA class, so maybe one of them will know someone. I went from Dicks to Gander, Gander in Fayetteville had a much more knowledgable staff and a much better way of testing me and my draw weight. I shot around 45 lb draw weight and a 24 draw length. I liked the Parker xp but they really didn't have much else for me to try. I am still looking around tho, but thanks for all the advice fellas, if you have anymore please feel free to expound upon this. I really need to know what I am getting into :) I was given an interesting device to put around my wrist to help with the draw back, what is that? Thanks again for all the web sites and advice. I am thinking I want a compound bow to shoot with so I can eventually hunt with it (I am thinking I might want to someday). Plus ammo is so expensive for guns, I would love to shoot two to three times a week...but that would probably break the bank with range fees (or membership) and ammo costs, so the bow seems like a good way to get some fun target practice in (right outside my own back door).

HUGE problem is that I am going to be stuck with just womens bows for choices...because of draw length and draw weight.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    That thingy they put on your wrist was a "release aid".
    Mathews just introduced a new bow just for women called the "Passion".
    Keep looking, no sence to get in a big hurry here.
    I would suggest also to start out with a used bow. Just make sure the draw length is correct for you. Its easy to drop 1000.00 on a bow with accessories. You may not like archery so no big investment.....but on the other hand in a couple years you can always "upgrade".
    If you were around my area my bow shop would be happy to fit you in a bow along with basic instructions on shooting form etc. Good luck!

Adrenaline

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    North Carolina
    I am thinking a used bow is the best. I am just going to have to keep looking around for good deals, I don't think I want to spend more then 350 right out the door.

Top Bottom