Looking for standby genny recomendations- good, bad, ugly... 20-30kw propane...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Going to take the plunge and finally get a standby genny. Probably 20-30kw range of output. Anyone have any experience good-bad? Generac, Kohler.

Seeing a lot of used gennys that were cell site units with 4-500 hrs about 20 years old. Would a older unit w/o all the electronics be better than a new one?

Currently have a 6500/8000 portable but time to move up to a standby unit.

Thanks for any information.

:ingo:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    We've had a 20Kw Generac for about 6-8 years. It has worked flawlessly.

When I was looking, I was leaning towards the Kohlers, but there was no one near me that actually installed and serviced them. Generacs have a much larger support base, up here at least.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Looking for standby genny recomendations- good, bad, ugly.

Is this an Amish thing that's been going through the threads?

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Be sure you get the right size for your house and your needs. No need to spend the $ on a 20kw + unit when a smaller one will do just fine.

The generator itself will be about half the total cost...

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Be sure you get the right size for your house and your needs. No need to spend the $ on a 20kw + unit when a smaller one will do just fine.

The generator itself will be about half the total cost...

Good point.

We were totally electric, 70's Ranch. 200amp service. But now have LP heat and use the electric heat as 'zonal' when its really cold. Will probably move to LP cooktop.

Figured buy once, cry once. But, if we had to 'manage' usage in a true outage we could. There are priority items that need service-, sump pump, freezer, fridge, few lights, etc. with a smaller unit.

With all the weather we have had the water table is very high. We need to be able to run the sump pump 24x7 if needed without intervention. Otherwise, our portable unit would work.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Good point.

We were totally electric, 70's Ranch. 200amp service. But now have LP heat and use the electric heat as 'zonal' when its really cold. Will probably move to LP cooktop.

Figured buy once, cry once. But, if we had to 'manage' usage in a true outage we could. There are priority items that need service-, sump pump, freezer, fridge, few lights, etc. with a smaller unit.

With all the weather we have had the water table is very high. We need to be able to run the sump pump 24x7 if needed without intervention. Otherwise, our portable unit would work.

How many sq ft is your house? Do you WANT to run the A/C with the generator?

Must you have LP due to location or is there a way you can get a NG hookup?

LP tanks to run a house, 300-500 gallons, aren't cheap. They're also not cheap to fill. LP seems to fluctuate wildly if I remember right.

As far as MY limited understanding goes, you can either rent or buy a tank. If you rent, you're beholden to the price the tank owner has for the fuel. If you own the tank, you can pick and choose your fuel provider.

My location is such that I'd like a NG generator. I think a 17kw unit will suffice perfectly well for our 2000 sq ft ranch (Electric water & AC).

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Good point.

Is managing stuff like that in an outage worth maybe saving $1K.

We are in the country. Without electricity we have no water, no lights, no heat or AC, no sump pump, and no septic pump. Plus we have a barn with horses that need to be taken care of.

Having has an outage of over 24 hours, we decided to just get one that would run everything. We have NG service though, so we use that with our generator.

I also highly recommend getting an ATS for it. Power goes out, generator fires up and the switch flips to generator. When power restores it switches back. No need to have a separate panel for stuff that will be powered, and no intervention from a person to get everything working.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Is managing stuff like that in an outage worth maybe saving $1K.

We are in the country. Without electricity we have no water, no lights, no heat or AC, no sump pump, and no septic pump. Plus we have a barn with horses that need to be taken care of.

Having has an outage of over 24 hours, we decided to just get one that would run everything. We have NG service though, so we use that with our generator.

I also highly recommend getting an ATS for it. Power goes out, generator fires up and the switch flips to generator. When power restores it switches back. No need to have a separate panel for stuff that will be powered, and no intervention from a person to get everything working.

Same here minus the horses. Live in the country. Will have to have an ATS. Thats the whole point. To me, its worth the extra $1k for peace of mind that if no one is home- we have power 24x7.

Scenario today- I'm at work periodically checking the REMC outage maps, puckered.

Last edited:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Same here minus the horses. Live in the country. Will have to have an ATS. Thats the whole point. To me, its worth the extra $1k for peace of mind that if no one is home- we have power 24x7.

Scenario today- I'm at work periodically checking the REMC outage maps, puckered.
    I understand that feeling. I was home for that 24 hour outage. We had two portable generators that I swapped my two freezers, two fridges, sump pump. etc on and off of. Now we lose power for about 10-20 seconds.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    just remember NG is great, until the SHTF and service stops. If you dont have full control of your fuel source on site, you are still have some risk for being in the dark.

And my understanding is older conventional units that dont rely on electronics are safer in the event of an EMP burst so there is that. (Either man made or from a CME. The latter has happened before several times)

But if you are only worried about run of the mill power outages, disregard my post.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Years ago followed the folks that do auctions for grocery stores being refurbished.
    Could get generators set up for natural gas with control panels and low hours for a song.
    Refitting the orifice for propane was easy.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    oldfish15
    Top Bottom