• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Ok, so my little brother (who will be 15 in August) is showing an interest in firearms. Im happy he is, and willing to take him shooting. Problem is he has no training, and hes real big into the damn video games (Call of Duty and the like).

I want him to read through abeginners manual or book of some sort (I know Im a prick making a teenage boy read on summer vacation) to give him a mindset, and as well I plan to show him some basics and go over some things hands on.

Does anyone have any reccomendations on books? Also would love to find a beginners course for him to attend, as that would be beneficial to him as well.

-MColford

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Contact your local DNR office. The one close to were im at does a beginners rifle education course in the summer months, might be what your looking for

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    Look into ACT's Basic Pistol and Intermediate Pistol. Act does an excellent job. I have attended their BP and IP classes and their Defensive Pistol classes. They work well with kids.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I am very biased:D but I think this is the place to start.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo.../154179-basic_pistol_100_august_6_2011_a.html

One of the great things about this course is that it is a course that teaches safety and the fundamentals of shooting and you go practice the skills to an acceptable level. It is not simply a course about how to shoot.

Reading a manual is a good idea but really don't the Four Rules of gun do nicely?

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    I'd take a look into going to a Johnny Appleseed Project Marksmanship Clinic with him, it'll hone both your skills and be a very educational day/weekend. I can't speak 1st hand as I don't have a long gun but as soon as I do, I plan on signing up.
    Project Appleseed Home

And for reading I'd recommend having him comb through Massad Ayoob's Column at Backwoods Columns by Massad Ayoob and pick up In Gravest Extreme and Stressfire, wait a few years until you pass along Concealed Carry. Also if he's into call of Duty, find some books written based on the theater of interest, that give first or second hand accounts of what really happened, he'll learn to appreciate the history of the battles. If you get the Sportsman Channel Personal Defense TV and Handguns are also full of basic info, that are in a solid mindset, it might warm him up to it before making him read.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Indy Gun Safety Home

We offer the NRA Basic Pistol Course and the Home Firearm Safety Course.

Basic Pistol teaches the knowledge, skills, and attitude needed to safely use, store and maintain a handgun and ammunition. There's 6 hours of classroom and 2 hours of live fire on the range. We provide everything and he will get to shoot a nice selection of today's most popular handguns. We take ages 12 and up.

Home Firearms Safety teaches the safe handling and clearing of rifles, pistols, shotguns and handguns. There is no live fire involved but the student gets WAY more safe gun handling information than Hunter's Safety alone.

We specialize in training new shooters and use state of the art equipment to provide the best educational experience possible. Please let us know if we can help.

smith52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Kosciusko County
    Check your county Extention office, your county my offer a 4H shooting sports program. That would be a great way for him to learn safe firearm handling with folks his age. Here in Kosciusko Co. we supply the firearms and ammunition for a nominal fee per year, like $20 - $25 per descipline they enroll in.
    Warsaw is not to far of a haul from you and the A.C.T. class Coach posted the link to would be a great place to start as well. I have taken the two of their Defensive Pistol classes and throught they offered great instruction.
    Glad to hear your tring to get him started out right!

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    The last I checked, the NRA requires students in the NRA Basic Pistol class to be at least 18 years old. Has that changed?
    `
    I checked with the NRA and got the following response:

"For Basic Pistol, we do not set a minimum age. That is something that would be between the instructor and the individual's guardian, usually parents. Also, local laws or ordinance. The PPITH [Personal Protection in the Home] course is for law-abiding adult citizens, as defined by applicable federal, state, or local law, and experienced shooters (shooters able to show mastery of the basic skills of safe gun handling, shooting a group, zeroing the firearm, and cleaning the firearm) to maximize what can be learned from this course."

I guess something changed!

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I'd take a look into going to a Johnny Appleseed Project Marksmanship Clinic with him, it'll hone both your skills and be a very educational day/weekend. I can't speak 1st hand as I don't have a long gun but as soon as I do, I plan on signing up.
    Project Appleseed Home
    :yesway:

We would love to have you guys come out to an Appleseed and shoot with us! We stress safety and we produce fine results, especially in new and young shooters. If you have any questions at all, please send me a pm. I'm more than happy to talk about the program. Plus, the price is right (under 21 = $5 plus any range fees for a weekend of instruction)

canav844, do not let not owning a rifle stop you. PM me about which shoot you're going to and I will make sure there is a loaner rifle there for you.

Here's a link to a seed we did in Bedford a few weeks ago. We had a whole bunch of young shooters and they all did very well.

AAR: Bedford, IN June 11-12

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    The last I checked, the NRA requires students in the NRA Basic Pistol class to be at least 18 years old. Has that changed?

As you mentioned below NIFT, yes, it has changed. I have found that most 12 year olds do very well. Eleven seems to be a bit too young. The text is written on a 5th grade level. I always discuss with the parents and have to rely on their judgement with the caveat the child cannot be disruptive and must stay focused. The only time I have been disappointed was when I went younger than 12. Granted there can be very mature 11 year olds and very immature 30 year olds, lol!

Remember that Federal law requires "prior written permission" for a child to be in a gun safety course where firearms are handled. I require this permission to be signed and in the child's pocket EVEN IF THE PARENT(S) ARE IN THE CLASS ALSO! (I can't remember if this is only for handguns or all guns, but it's right in the reg book you get when you get your FFL.)

So your customer base just increased 100%! lol! You're welcome!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Another benefit of our BP100 "Basic Pistol" class is that it only requires that you commit to half a day, which is sometimes helpful to people with tight schedules. If you want to do the whole day, you can also participate in the IP101 "Intermediate Pistol.

Ok, so my little brother (who will be 15 in August) is showing an interest in firearms. Im happy he is, and willing to take him shooting. Problem is he has no training, and hes real big into the damn video games (Call of Duty and the like).

I want him to read through abeginners manual or book of some sort (I know Im a prick making a teenage boy read on summer vacation) to give him a mindset, and as well I plan to show him some basics and go over some things hands on.

Does anyone have any reccomendations on books? Also would love to find a beginners course for him to attend, as that would be beneficial to him as well.

-MColford

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Thanks for all the tips guys... I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, bedford is a bit of a haul for me (us)...

I would still love to come down for one, or hit some sort of formal training, as I, as well as anyone, can always benefit from more training.

I have been working with him some on basic gun safety (trigger finger, barreling, etc.) this evening, and am going to randomly pop in on him in a day or two and have him handle a gun just to see if what we have went over has set in, if not, more work I guess.

-MColford

BTW: I was shocked that our local library has no reading material regarding gun safety! Thats insane if you ask me!

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Thanks for all the tips guys... I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, bedford is a bit of a haul for me (us)...

I would still love to come down for one, or hit some sort of formal training, as I, as well as anyone, can always benefit from more training.

I have been working with him some on basic gun safety (trigger finger, barreling, etc.) this evening, and am going to randomly pop in on him in a day or two and have him handle a gun just to see if what we have went over has set in, if not, more work I guess.

-MColford

BTW: I was shocked that our local library has no reading material regarding gun safety! Thats insane if you ask me!

Warsaw is not that far.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo.../154179-basic_pistol_100_august_6_2011_a.html

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Northern Indiana Appleseeds

No Worries! We have seeds up north too:

Appleseed - Search States

It looks like we have a shoot coming up August 20-21 in Rochester.

2011 Rochester, IN Appleseed Information

Its at the Sand Burr Gun Ranch.

Sand Burr Gun Ranch: Home

I've not been there, but the instructors that have worked shoots there say its absolutely top notch.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

According to Google Maps, Royal Center to Warsaw is less than 60 miles. Unless you're walking, that's virtually next door . . . if you really want to do something.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Depends on your dad.:D

I agree. My dad never really taught me anything gun safety wise. He handled firearms in the military (National Guard 22 years) but never thought to maybe teach some gun safety to his kids. I think hes looking back now and regretting it, as I have taken the role of doing this with my brother.

Thanks again for all the help, and hopefully I can get to the Appleseed in Rochester.

As far as the distance goes.. Yes 60 miles isnt far, but in a truck getting 12 mpg. Thats 10 gallons round trip... Close to 40 dollars... Plus costs for the training, food, etc. I is poor folk, haha.

-MColford

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I agree. My dad never really taught me anything gun safety wise. He handled firearms in the military (National Guard 22 years) but never thought to maybe teach some gun safety to his kids. I think hes looking back now and regretting it, as I have taken the role of doing this with my brother.

Thanks again for all the help, and hopefully I can get to the Appleseed in Rochester.

As far as the distance goes.. Yes 60 miles isnt far, but in a truck getting 12 mpg. Thats 10 gallons round trip... Close to 40 dollars... Plus costs for the training, food, etc. I is poor folk, haha.

-MColford

Someone from your area will likely be going to this class
    We do a lot of car pooling in central IN.
    ACT does a great job and they signifacantly reduce the learning curve .
    by the end of the day you will at least know what to work on and this will save you a ton of ammo

Top Bottom